U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM

1,026 posts, read 582,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Here's an interesting fact:

A victory by the Falcons would put Atlanta in the category of best offense EVER by a SB champion. Until another team wins and averages more points.
Cool. That's why I think they will win, because NE's D isn't that strong, and also because ATL's D is strong.

More trivia: If Atlanta wins we will have one fewer team that has never won the Super Bowl. Currently there are 13 such teams:

NFC
ARI Cardinals (0-1)
ATL Falcons (0-1)
CAR Panthers (0-2)
DET Lions (0-0) - one of four teams that've never been, Lions, Browns, Texans, Jaguars
MN Vikings (0-4)
PHI Eagles (0-2)

AFC
BUF Bills (0-4) - but they went to four straight, which is something! Alas, the poor BUF BILLLLS
CIN Bengals (0-2)
CLE Browns (0-0) - one of four teams that've never been, Lions, Browns, Texans, Jaguars
HOU Texans (0-0) - one of four teams that've never been, Lions, Browns, Texans, Jaguars
JAC Jaguars (0-0) - one of four teams that've never been, Lions, Browns, Texans, Jaguars
SD Chargers (0-1)
TEN Titans (0-1)

Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM

2,851 posts, read 915,566 times
Ne pats: 24
atl falcons: 28

and the crowd goes wild!

Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
Ne pats: 24
atl falcons: 28

and the crowd goes wild!
Channel your inner Howard Cosell and yell it with me:

"DOWN GOES THE PATRIOTS!!
DOWN GOES THE PATRIOTS!!"

Old 02-03-2017, 03:58 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,545,104 times
Watching the news just now, they were talking about all the tickets still available for the big game. They mentioned if the Cowboys or Packers were playing that Patriots, it would not be that way. Tickets would be harder to come by. I know once the Cowboys were out, news outlets reported a drastic drop in prices.

Falcons want more coverage, more prime time games but they really don't have a strong fan base, maybe being in this SB will help that situation.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:13 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
My prediction:

New England wins 6-4 in OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Watching the news just now, they were talking about all the tickets still available for the big game. They mentioned if the Cowboys or Packers were playing that Patriots, it would not be that way. Tickets would be harder to come by. I know once the Cowboys were out, news outlets reported a drastic drop in prices.

Falcons want more coverage, more prime time games but they really don't have a strong fan base, maybe being in this SB will help that situation.
Who knows? Next year it could be Jacksonville v. Detroit. The game might not even sell out.

On the plus side, that might induce Roger Goodell to commit seppuku (preferably with a ball air pressure gauge).

Old 02-03-2017, 04:36 PM

20,902 posts, read 39,174,026 times
We're rooting for Atlanta....mostly feel it's time for someone else to win it this time....hoping for a great game.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post

Well, ATL has been a pedestrian franchise for a while. ATL is a top ten market and being consistent will bring only strengthen the fanbase. The only downside is that many bandwagon fans from the border states will hop on. At one time, Dallas wasn't anything but winning gave them a huge fanbase. Seattle was in the same boat as ATL. ATL will be fine going forward.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
Patriots by 3. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
My prediction:

New England wins 6-4 in OT.
To win in OT, 6-4, means all five scores are safeties.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:23 AM

10,674 posts, read 11,083,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Well, ATL has been a pedestrian franchise for a while. ATL is a top ten market and being consistent will bring only strengthen the fanbase. The only downside is that many bandwagon fans from the border states will hop on. At one time, Dallas wasn't anything but winning gave them a huge fanbase. Seattle was in the same boat as ATL. ATL will be fine going forward.
This is true, and I think that's one thing that excites me about this Super Bowl and a few of the more recent ones as well. You never know when a franchise is going to be "born." The NFC in the last few years has sent a series of teams each with a pedestrian history but each vying for a chance to elevate its brand and standing as an NFL franchise.

Seattle came in 0-1 in the Super Bowl, and much to my chagrin as a Broncos fan got their win. Then they nearly repeated. The last two seasons they dropped off a little but even then they've reached the divisional round of the playoffs and will probably be considered contenders again next year.

The Panthers last year also came in 0-1 and having won their division three straight years, most recently with an impressive 15-1 record. A win could have really put that franchise on the map. Again, this Broncos fan is thankful they fell short, but that's nothing against Carolina so much as my own loyalty to my team.

This year we have the Falcons at 0-1 and going up against the Patriots who have a league high 9 trips to the Super Bowl! What a draw for Atlanta! But with some of the pieces they have on offense and that young and talented defense very promising as an up and coming unit, could an upset here be what propels Atlanta into the ranks of a legit franchise?

Let's not forgot this: as recently as 2001 the New England Patriots were a pedestrian franchise, little more than an "also ran" having spread a couple trips to the Super Bowl and lost both (one of which is the second most lopsided loss in Super Bowl history). Then a no-name by the name of Brady and a guy who didn't exactly light the world on fire in Cleveland pulled one of the bigger upsets in Super Bowl history with a win over the Rams and a franchise was born.

While I don't expect any team to replicate what the Pats have done for so long, I do think it's fun to look at what teams may have the potential to go on a 6-7 year run of relative dominance and really elevate the image, brand and standing of its franchise. I really think Atlanta is on that doorstep if they pull this upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or