U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,156,728 times

Advertisements

Pats.........of course.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:30 AM

298 posts, read 188,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yes, Belichick is the wildcard, but more important, I expect, is a defensive game plan and the ability to execute it.

Now, having said that, consistent ball-control offense is part of a good defensive game plan.

But if it's a shootout, advantage Atlanta.

I have no skin in this game, but quietly rooting for New England so they can stick it in Goodell's face: not only was so-called deflategate a personal vendetta masked as fake news, I hate Sunday night, Thursday night and London games, and the 6:30PM EST start time for the Super Bowl, and I blame him. Haha!

Good luck to both teams and I hope it's a close game and meaningful in the last two minutes.
belichick is the wildcard? what about shanahan's playcalling? matt ryan really spread the ball around this season. julio jones may not be that much of a factor.

either way, I'm picking the patriots.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
The Patriots, for better or worse, have not had that dominating Super Bowl performance.. They beat the RAMs and Panthers on last second FGs.. needed a last second, goal line INT to beat the Seahawks.. Their easiest win, if you will, came against the Eagles 24-21 but the Eagles score late to make it a 3 point game, otherwise it was a 10 point game.. but even that game was tied at 14 going into the 4th quarter.. and of course, both of their losses to the Gmen were last second losses..

My point is.. the Patriots have NEVER played their best game in the SB.. In every game they were favored, they either lost or failed to cover.. in the 2 games they were not favored (Seahawks, RAMS) they won.. so if your betting on this game.. take the points and the Falcons.

Its seems that no matter how dominant the Patriots are in the regular season and playoffs, their Super Bowl games are always nip and tuck. It will be interesting to see if they can put one of those Patriot dominating performances together and just go wire to wire and dominate the Falcons.. Not that it matters because a win is a win but you would think the Patriots would eventually boat race another team in the Super Bowl...

Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 AM

23,635 posts, read 33,429,727 times
I'd put smart money on the Patriots. This is too perfect of an opportunity for Brady to get revenge on Goodell to have Goodell have to hand the Lombardi to Brady after having it out for him. But I think this offense of Atlanta may be able to outscore NE.

I'm going to pick the Pats 35-31.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 AM

6,612 posts, read 10,673,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
belichick is the wildcard? what about shanahan's playcalling? matt ryan really spread the ball around this season. julio jones may not be that much of a factor.

either way, I'm picking the patriots.
Not a precise term, and I didn't initiate it in this context, but obviously refers to Belichick's experience and long-term track record, as others have also mentioned, as a factor which gives the Patriots an edge.

In other words, most observers recognize the firepower of the Falcon's offense, but many have confidence, or at least expect, that Belichick will come up with a tailored game plan that will neutralize it enough to win.

We'll know soon enough.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
I picked Clemson to win when most posters picked Alabama and I'm going with Atlanta despite most posters picking Pats.

Time for a new bull in the herd.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:37 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,831,870 times
Hey Pats fans. Falcons fan here. Whats you guys beef with Roger Goodell? I think he is a terrible commissioner, but what happened with him on the Patriots? What am I missing?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I predict Falcons. Have now watched a couple of their games, and their offense just can't be stopped. I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong though. Defense does win championships.
Our defense is not too bad, their biggest flaw is their youth and lack of experience. I hope they can adjust to Tom Brady and the Pats offense.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta blows out both of their playoff games and people are still them a "fake". Amazing

Seattle has a much better defense than Pats do and Atlanta still got 36 on them(42 if they decided to go for a last minute TD instead of kneeling and ending).

IMO, it's Atlanta's to lose. If their historic offense shows up like it has throughout the season and their defense plays as well as they did against GB, they should win.
I am seeing some very interesting Anti-Falcons post here. Didnt know this sort of arrogance exist.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,486,179 times
Default A few notes

At the beginning of the season Atlanta was tied with San Francisco for the hardest schedule in the league based on last years teams, New England was number 9.
2016 NFL strength of schedule - NFL Nation- ESPN

The smart money says to bet on New England because they have the resume and experience but the eye test this years says Atlanta. New England is a great organization but sleeping on a battle tested young explosive Falcons team is a huge mistake.

Let's look at the Patriots for a second. Including the postseason they have score 30 or more points 9 times, (number)=Regular Season Offensive Ranking.

31-24 Miami (24)
33-13 Cleveland (30)
41-25 Buffalo (16)
31-17 San Francisco (31)
30-23 Baltimore (17)
41-3 New York Jets (26)
35-14 Miami (24)
Postseason
34-16 Houston (29)
31-17 Pittsburgh (7)

Outside of Pittsburgh they haven't really had to face any elite offenses that can keep pace with them. I used the number 30 because Atlanta averaged 33.8 points a game, only held under 30 in 5 games to include the postseason. Atlanta can score from anywhere on the field and with almost any player not playing O-line.

The Cavs won it all last year for 1st time, the Cubs won it all after an over 100 year drought. The Falcons could shock the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or