U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 AM

1,223 posts, read 578,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Not sure why the "eye test" would say Atlanta?

Did Atlanta go undefeated this season??? Last I checked they lost 5 games this season while the Pats lost only 2

People act like "no one can stop the Atlanta offense" well 5 teams did this season and some of them like SD weren't even very good...

As for the strength of schedule argument..

Atlanta played exactly 7 teams with a winning record going 4-3 in those games while also losing 2 to teams with a losing record

New England played only 1 less games against winning teams playing 6 but going 5-1 in those games with Brady only losing 1 game this season

Atlanta may have scored over 30 in most games, they also gave up over 30 6 times this season including almost every time they went up against a prolific offense....both games against NO, GB regular season and SD

Pats have only let 1 team score above 30 this season and haven't given up more than 17 in the past month over 5 games including playoffs...

Falcons may very well win the game I think Pats favored by 3 is about right, essentially a pick em game, it won't shock the world if the Atlanta wins but there is a reason the Pats are favored even if only by 3, Pats pass the "eye test" as a more complete team....
The L's that ATL took was a 1 point loss vs KC where Berry was responsible for 8 points and the special teams was fooled on a fake punt that resulted in like a 50 something yard TD run. That was one of our worse games but that was more of KC making plays a just taking it to ATL.

San Diego was top ten in scoring this year. The Bolts kicked a FG in OT to beat ATL. They were inept as hell (they blew leads late in the game like 5 straight weeks). They were a tough-out for half the year.

Seattle beat us because Richard Sherman held Julio's arm on Seattle's 40. (golf clap) That was a 2 point L.

Philly just beasted on us that day and dominated. ATL just scored 15 in Ryan's home turf.

The other L was divisional...you should understand.

All in all, we only got worked once this season. ATL did play tougher comp and lost 3 games by a combined 6 points (that's how the ball bounces sometimes). I don't fault NE for dominating all but one team that Brady faced. They are that good. New England doesn't have an Eric Berry and we don't have to face Aaron Rodgers again. One thing about Rodgers, he can make all of the throws that Brady can with accuracy, just like Brady. It's no secret that Rodgers is just as great when he's moving around. I love the fact that there a slower more immobile QB back there. Yes, I know all about Brady vs the blitz but Aaron is more dangerous than Brady vs the blitz (R. Wilson is lethal too as well as Brees). Tom will have to make short quick throws and eat a couple of blitzs. Belichick already said that they'll be studying Seattle's defensive schemes and ish. Looking at New England's defense, I can tell that ATL will give them that work.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM

155 posts, read 76,635 times
Rise up!!! In Brotherhood! We got this.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:12 PM

1,026 posts, read 581,316 times
I'll say it again, the Falcons will win easily, 39-20.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:48 PM

660 posts, read 475,505 times
Wonder how the Falcons offense will do against this Patriots defense. Look at a list of the starting QBs New England played this season. Really only a few, and Matt Ryan > Russell Wilson.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 2,367,619 times
Spot on.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 AM

That's a funny and entertaining meme, everwinter. There are also those who see how strong the Falcons are on both sides of the ball. Although Tom Brady is having yet another great season, and he had the greatest QB season with respect to TDs and INTs, the Falcons will win.

This is reminding me more and more of the 1984 season when Dan Marino obliterated the previous NFL records for TDs with 48 and for passing yards with 5,084 - the previous records were 36 TDs (Blanda 1961, Tittle 1963) and 4,802 yards (Fouts 1981). But the 49ers beat the Dolphins easily, 38-16.

The Falcons will win easily because they are clearly the better team.

Super Bowl 51: 39-20, Falcons over the Patriots
Super Bowl 19: 38-16, 49ers beat the Dolphins

Old 01-25-2017, 10:14 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
There was a time when SBs were notoriously BAD games.. blowouts and/or just poor play. Of late, they have been compelling to say the least and more often than not, competitive!

I expect the same this year. Patriots in a close one!

Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,155,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm going with the Falcons. Matt Ryan is playing as well as Brady, if not better. They will score 42 points against the Patriots and win the game. The Falcon's offense is just too much.
Sounds familiar to what folks said during Super Bowl XXXVI about the Greatest Show on Turf............but we shall see.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Sounds familiar to what folks said during Super Bowl XXXVI about the Greatest Show on Turf............but we shall see.
agreed.. at least to the point that it bears more resemblance to SBXXXVI than is does SBXIX.

The big difference was in SBXIX it was David (Patriots) vs Goliath (RAMs).. where as this year.. The shoes are almost reversed... its Goliath (Patriots) vs a New and Improved SUPER FAST score machine David 2.0 (Falcons) and therefore the spread is no where near what it was in 2001.. But the task is really the same for the Patriots.. stop the High Powered Offense (Falcons) just like it was in 2001.. Do just enough scoring to win.. i expect that to happen.. but i am usually wrong.. so we will see.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
There was a time when SBs were notoriously BAD games.. blowouts and/or just poor play. Of late, they have been compelling to say the least and more often than not, competitive!

I expect the same this year. Patriots in a close one!
And when those SBs were bad, the playoff games were great. Especially the conference championships. This year's playoffs were awful, except for the one great game, GB 34 - Dal 31.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or