U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,908,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What makes Pittsburgh a good team while K.C. and Oakland (regular season) are not? AFC had three teams with 12 wins or better. NFC only had one team with 12 wins or better.

Each conference had 5 double digit win teams.

AFC had six teams under .500 while the NFC had seven teams under .500 Your conclusions are simply your opinion and really not backed up with any convincing evidence.
Its silly..the NFC won 2 LESS games against the AFC...leagues were about equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 08:42 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,891,880 times
Get rid of the Thursday Night games.
Leave the Thanksgiving games as they are currently.
Get rid of the color rush uniforms.
Stop fining players for doing celebrations, so long as they are not over the top.
Speed up instant replays.
Cut down on the number of commercials.

You cannot expect ratings to always go up, there are only so many viewers. The NFL is still a ratings juggernaut and Sunday Night Football was the most popular TV program this season for the 5 or 6th straight year.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:57 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,270,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Get rid of the Thursday Night games.
Leave the Thanksgiving games as they are currently.
Get rid of the color rush uniforms.
Stop fining players for doing celebrations, so long as they are not over the top.
Speed up instant replays.
Cut down on the number of commercials.

You cannot expect ratings to always go up, there are only so many viewers. The NFL is still a ratings juggernaut and Sunday Night Football was the most popular TV program this season for the 5 or 6th straight year.
Are you missing something, International games? That could be another reason of NFL ratings declining.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,270,043 times
To be honest without going further, the the primary reason why the NFL ratings is because of Kaepernick refusing to stand for the National Anthem.

NBA ratings have gone down since after Michael Jordan's first retirement and those who turn off NBA would rather watch college hoops.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM

6,615 posts, read 3,665,019 times
It is more than just Thursday. Once upon a time at best you could see three games a week and NFL Films highlights before the next two Sunday and Monday night game came around. The bye week and extending the season also made every game less special.

The instant replays are not instant and grinds games to a halt. That was okay for radio and baseball but death to a game which already had stoppages.

Safety inspired rule changes the unique action visuals, what set American football apart from other games are for the most part banned now.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:26 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,193,143 times
Awful teams playing awful games. Even the play-offs were mostly unwatchable. I haven't made it through a game in years without drifting off from boredom. Too many replays, far too many commercials (oh an injury! We'll be right back....never even announcing who it is), too many drawn out long games. Get rid of the 2min warning, especially in second quarter, get rid of replay or tighten it up (you get 10 seconds, make a freakin' call), contraction. Poor play from too many teams. Instead of letting failed teams move, get rid of them. Radical I know. haha

Old 01-26-2017, 08:53 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,026,486 times
I only watch the playoffs anyway. Regular season is for killing time imo. Applies to all sports.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM

5,761 posts, read 4,252,408 times
The NFL actually has sped up the process of replay. It is better than it was, believe me. I do like the olden days of no replay, though. But even then, the game was still much longer, because there was more time on the play clock. I think what makes the games seem longer is the constant going to commercial every time there's an injury or timeout or they have to stop and look at something on replay. And on top of that, there's commercial timeouts anyway. But, that's another cash cow for the NFL and don't think the frequent commercial breaks are going away anytime soon.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM

5,693 posts, read 4,243,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Awful teams playing awful games. Even the play-offs were mostly unwatchable. I haven't made it through a game in years without drifting off from boredom. Too many replays, far too many commercials (oh an injury! We'll be right back....never even announcing who it is), too many drawn out long games. Get rid of the 2min warning, especially in second quarter, get rid of replay or tighten it up (you get 10 seconds, make a freakin' call), contraction. Poor play from too many teams. Instead of letting failed teams move, get rid of them. Radical I know. haha
I still enjoy watching the Cowboys but do have a problem watching 2 OTHER teams playing on Sunday NIght.. my interest is very low unless there is a compelling aspect to the game that effects the Cowboys... and commercials... omg.

You get a great play, TD! But it was close, did the runners knee touch the ground before the ball crossed the plane.. lets look at replay (TV COMMERCIAL).. yep.. td.. now extra point good (TV COMMERCIAL).. kickoff, touchback (TV COMMERCIAL)>>> ARGH! Its these type of sequences that are almost guaranteed to have my switching channels... especially during a prime time game when other networks are going to air something compelling to try and compete with the NFL game.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,891,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Are you missing something, International games? That could be another reason of NFL ratings declining.
Ahh yes, forgot those. Get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or