U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 AM

1,026 posts, read 581,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
As you know, the NFL's ratings have been declining lately. Why do you think this is?
Several reasons:
Greed.
Safety, injury, long-term player health.
Violence and player integrity / decency.

Greed has several aspects: greed by the league, by owners, by players.
- the league's over-saturation of games. As many have said we don't need all these games. SNF and MNF games are fine. But TNF games suck. Dan Patrick's point about teams having a bye week before the TNF game is understood, but really, just drop TNF altogether. NFL, you don't need to own more days of the week. Keep your two, and just two. Keep the Lions and Cowboys - only them - for Thanksgiving, it's a good tradition, but no other Thanksgiving games. For MNF, only one game. Please. In the end, have regular season games only on Sundays and Mondays, and Thanksgiving. (Playoff games on Saturdays, for wildcard and divisional rounds, are fine)
- too many comercial breaks. When you attend a game live, it's just silly. For seemingly no reason at all, the whole game stops and everyone is standing around. What? What's going on? Oh, TV timeout. Stupid, pointless, greedy. A commercial at almost every change of possession? Please. When watching on TV and there's a replay review, cut right to commercial? NOOO! I want to analyze the replays myself, at the same time the refs are figuring it out. Don't go off to grab the ad revenue. Too many commercials. They slow down the game way too much. It's greedy.
** - a comment on instant replay. Replay works, replay is needed. They've optimized it pretty well. Some situations are complex and require many replay angles, so be it. But don't cut to commercial right away! Don't rob me of viewing all the replay angles as the review is underway, as the decision is being made. KEEP ME WITH THE GAME. Don't run off to grab your $$$. When they cut to commercial, they come back when the refs are ready to make the call, and the refs have likely notified TV that okay, we're ready with our ruling, come back from commercial. Stupid, delaying, and greedy. And then we only see one replay angle, maybe two hurriedly just before the ref announces the ruling. Terrible, again I want to see the different replay angles myself, not just the one or two that some TV producer has filtered and thinks is the most relevant. I am starting to suspect that a homefield bias may possibly be creeping into replay rulings, but I digress a bit there.
- all those throwback jerseys and different uniform styles are stupid marketing attempts to sell more apparel under the guise, for the throwback jersey, to celebrate team history. But it's just to sell more merchandise. Some of those throwback uniforms are ridiculously stupid. Casual fan, "What team is that? I don't recognize them." Answer, "It's the Packers (or Steelers), they're wearing their historical uniforms. Casual fan, "They look stupid." Answer, "No kidding." I'm sure the players feel stupid too. It's like the mall workers, teenagers, working at Hot Dog On A Stick (see for yourself) and having to wear those idiotic looking outfits. Or, think movie actor Judge Reinhold wearing the stupid pirate outfit for his high school job in Fast Times at Ridgemont High - jeez I look really stupid, I'm throwing this crap out my car window! (here) NFL, you don't have to shamelessly w.h.o.r.e yourself out to the consumer to sell apparel. But, now, think of Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, they stay pretty classy, for the most part. Follow Jones' lead.
- shorten the season. Cut back preseason by another two weeks, down to 2. (Gag me, I remember when we had 6!) These days the game is so specialized, and players are so specialized, that the long preseason isn't needed (but, keep the HOF Game!). And season ticket holders hate having to pay for those 4 games. Also, get rid of the bye week. You don't need 17 weeks, keep it at 16. And pull the Super Bowl back to the left and back into January. January is the month for Super Bowls, not February. February is for pitchers and catchers to report.
- drop the Pro Bowl, nobody cares, really. Celebrate the All Pros in some suitable fashion, but don't make them play a meaningless game that almost no fan cares about. And they considered playing it in Brazil? Please. Oh and yesterday's NFL Skills Competition was pretty stupid. The drone drop is unrealistic - catch a knuckleball? How does that even remotely resemble an NFL skill? And then, dodge ball? Dumb. But hey, dozens of spectators were there being entertained.

All of the above results in a dilution of an excellent product. Keep football great, don't dilute your product.

But wait there's more. These players, our heroes, are giving their very lives to play this sport. And then beloved guys like Mike Webster and Junior Seau show us fans what really happens after a career of head hits. Al Toon and Steve Young have to retire early from concussions? And the league sinisterly denies the CTE evidence? See above, for greed. We may need to go back to leather helmets, or no helmets at all, to slow the game speed, reduce the violent head trauma, and prevent the head from being used as a spear. Maybe. Something has to be done.

Finally, establish and keep ethical standards in the league. There is an obvious violence aspect to the game, and keep it from leaking out into the world and at spouses and girlfriends. Keep it clean.

To summarize, two words capture the decline and dilution of this excellent product: Roger, and Goodell.

Keep football great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM

634 posts, read 470,145 times
The bye week is actually great. The extra rest will lead to fewer injuries. It also helps teams rejuvenate and allows them extra time to work on improving scheme/strategy through self scouting. Case in point, Atlanta has been red-hot since their bye. Look at where they are now.

The bye week improves quality of play and player safety.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
once I stopped watching as the Vikings tanked (because of injuries), all this talk of falling ratings commenced

Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 AM

21 posts, read 8,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
As you know, the NFL's ratings have been declining lately. Why do you think this is?
When you pay someone $100 million for 5 year contract making it $25 million each year - that's when I stopped following.

Link: 15 Highest-Paid NFL Players in 2016

Am going to struggle to earn 500K savings in my 30-year career and most Americans would too and if someone earns it($25+ million) in 1 year(good for them), I think my time and money and priorities ought to be elsewhere than supporting this sporting activity.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDANET View Post
When you pay someone $100 million for 5 year contract making it $25 million each year - that's when I stopped following.

Am going to struggle to earn 500K savings in my 30-year career and most Americans would too and if someone earns it($25+ million) in 1 year(good for them), I think my time and money and priorities ought to be elsewhere than supporting this sporting activity.
30 year career?...kind of lazy, should have become a mathematician instead

Old 01-28-2017, 01:09 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,325,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDANET View Post

Another thing, with all these huge sums of money at their disposal, why are taxpayers building their stadiums for them?

Old 01-28-2017, 01:55 PM

21 posts, read 8,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
30 year career?...kind of lazy, should have become a mathematician instead
lazy? how much have you saved so far?

Old 01-28-2017, 02:17 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
This thread has gone a little off topic.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Another thing, with all these huge sums of money at their disposal, why are taxpayers building their stadiums for them?
well it's not like the owners can box up and move the stadium with them when they leave, of course the community is going to build the stadium since they get to keep it

Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,325,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well it's not like the owners can box up and move the stadium with them when they leave, of course the community is going to build the stadium since they get to keep it
The community only gets to "keep" it if they're forced to pay for it in the first place. Not to mention half the time the reason a team leaves is because some other place offers to build a nicer taxpayer-financed stadium for them than the taxpayer-financed stadium they're playing in now.

Taxpayers need to start telling these billionaires to get bent. They can pay for their own playgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or