Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,563 times

Advertisements

I don't know.

AFC good teams: New England, Pittsburgh

NFC good teams: Dallas, Green Bay, New York, Atlanta, Seattle

AFC had some potential, but Carr went down

You can just look at the playoffs. Every good game was on the NFC side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
People will blame Kaepernick. Let's see. Manning is retired and Brady missed a quarter of the season. Can we blame Trump too?

(Also the AFC just flat out sucked this year.)
I don't think Donald Trump is the issue. It's more likely Kaepernick. I just don't care for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
All the concussions and stories of former stars who have dementia and Parkinson's by their 50s may be souring some on the sport as well.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:45 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,563 times
I was only joking about Donald. Sort of. Every single post on social media seems to be about him, though I'm sure people are still watching sports. I don't think anyone cares about Colin. A has-been.

I think part of it is probably the decline of cable television. People these days are cutting the cord. Sometimes they can get directv streaming, sometimes they get illegal streams for their favorite teams, but overall they're watching much fewer games. I know I cut the cord a few years ago and feel much more out of the loop on sports now. I still watch my team's games, but rarely watch whatever games are on locally or half the primetime games. I no longer watch first take or other similar shows other than a few clips that end up on youtube. Younger people especially seem to be happy not to get cable.

I don't know if other sports are facing similar issues. But NFL is by far the worst when it comes to buying streaming service. MLB.tv is fantastic.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
It may be too early to identify a definite trend.

In my case, I don't watch night games, simply too many and too late for me, and also these London games have become a turnoff. As someone also mentioned above, I am content to watch my home team games, the majority of which are at 1PM on Sunday, I cringe at the 4PM slot, and only watch highlights of any night games.

To be sure, politicization is a turnoff: one of the great things about sports is that, well, they used to serve as a well-deserved refuge from that stupidity, but apparently US citizens no longer deserve even that.

The concussion thing is also a turnoff: I don't want to see anyone get seriously injured for the sake of entertainment and would rather see football banned. At the same time, I am hopeful that new technologies, helmet technologies in particular, could solve the problem.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:32 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
Quote:
I don't know.

AFC good teams: New England, Pittsburgh

NFC good teams: Dallas, Green Bay, New York, Atlanta, Seattle

AFC had some potential, but Carr went down

You can just look at the playoffs. Every good game was on the NFC side.
What makes Pittsburgh a good team while K.C. and Oakland (regular season) are not? AFC had three teams with 12 wins or better. NFC only had one team with 12 wins or better.

Each conference had 5 double digit win teams.

AFC had six teams under .500 while the NFC had seven teams under .500 Your conclusions are simply your opinion and really not backed up with any convincing evidence.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,008 times
Quote:
I think part of it is probably the decline of cable television. People these days are cutting the cord. Sometimes they can get directv streaming, sometimes they get illegal streams for their favorite teams, but overall they're watching much fewer games. I know I cut the cord a few years ago and feel much more out of the loop on sports now. I still watch my team's games, but rarely watch whatever games are on locally or half the primetime games. I no longer watch first take or other similar shows other than a few clips that end up on youtube. Younger people especially seem to be happy not to get cable.

I don't know if other sports are facing similar issues. But NFL is by far the worst when it comes to buying streaming service. MLB.tv is fantastic.
I agree with all this. I cut the cord midway through the 2014 season. I catch the Bills every week but any other games are pretty rare. Of course I also find that my football enthusiasm with regards to other teams often depends on if the Bills won or not. Typically when they lose I don't want anything to do with football for at least 24 hours.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
I was only joking about Donald. Sort of. Every single post on social media seems to be about him, though I'm sure people are still watching sports. I don't think anyone cares about Colin. A has-been.

I think that's part of it, but I think it's also overexposure of the sport that hurts as well. We don't need to see NFL football during the week. It's best kept on Sunday afternoons and either Sunday night or Monday night. I hate Thursday night football.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
I can only speak for myself. I was never a huge fan but I did watch games.

I have not watched a single game since their **** poor response to the Kaepernick nonsense.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think that's part of it, but I think it's also overexposure of the sport that hurts as well. We don't need to see NFL football during the week. It's best kept on Sunday afternoons and either Sunday night or Monday night. I hate Thursday night football.
I tend to agree with this.. I would add the 12 month NFL schedule hurts the regular seasons ratings. I can remember LONG AGO when there was nothing but crickets from the end of the Pro Bowl to the kickoff of the Hall of Fame Game. I was always very excited to watch the Hall of Fame game, regardless of who was playing.. it was truly a special time. now its like, MEH! I watch the Cowboys preseason games and thats it.. i don't even watch MOST prime time games unless its a Cowboys game.. they have saturated the market.. TOO MUCH!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:09 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have to agree with you on Thursday Night Football. I'm perfectly fine with Thanksgiving games. Thursday night games are a joke. According to Dan Patrick, each team should get a bye before they play them. Also, scrap the Monday night doubleheader. There's no need for two Monday night games. Going back to Thursday night games, someone came up with this idea, Thursday night games should only be used on kickoff games and Thanksgiving games. And Skinsguy, they NFL should drop the London games along with the Mexico City games. I hate them as well, however it is all about money. And maybe, they should shorten preseason. I don't pay attention to preseason games as much anymore. The players don't like them though the coaches like them. And to be honest, preseason is boring and it means nothing to me because the staats don't count. And I don't know anybody that never watches preseason.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-25-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football