U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you consider to be the greatest coaches?
Bill Belichick 18 66.67%
Tom Landry 9 33.33%
Bill Parcells 4 14.81%
Vince Lombardi 16 59.26%
Joe Gibbs 5 18.52%
Don Shula 10 37.04%
Jimmy Johnson 3 11.11%
Barry Switzer 1 3.70%
Pete Carroll 1 3.70%
Chuck Noll 7 25.93%
George Halas 2 7.41%
Curly Lambeau 2 7.41%
Bud Grant 2 7.41%
Bill Walsh 13 48.15%
Jim Harbaugh 1 3.70%
Mike Ditka 1 3.70%
John Madden 4 14.81%
Don Coryell 2 7.41%
Tom Coughlin 1 3.70%
Weeb Eubank 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:17 AM

13,979 posts, read 7,446,942 times

Advertisements

I think you need to have two categories. Before the 1994 salary cap & 1992 free agency; and after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 AM

6,637 posts, read 10,690,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Parcells was great.. certainly worthy of consideration.
He won the SB in '86 i think with Phil Simms leading the way over the Broncos and John Elway.
He won his 2nd SB in '90, i think.. with Otis Anderson (RB) leading the way over the Buffalo Bills - wide right FG go win at the end.
Parcells also took the Patriots to the SB, mid 90s.. lost to the Packers and Brett Favre..
the then led the JEts to the Playoffs and the Cowboys late in his career..

Parcells would certainly be on my list of top 10 or top 15.. he was great!
Bills Parcells also "spawned" (coaching tree) Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin and Sean Payton (who also coached a Super Bowl champion), and maybe a few others.

Phil Simms quarterbacked the NYG for most of 1990, but was injured late in the season and Jeff Hostetler quarterbacked the team which won the final two regular season games and all the way to the Super Bowl.

Someone mentioned John Madden. He started as assistant coach with the Oakland Raiders in 1967 and became head coach in 1969 to 1978.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Madden retired as a Super Bowl winning head coach and was the youngest coach ever to reach 100 career regular season victories, a record he compiled in only ten full seasons of coaching at the age of 42. He is still the coach with the most wins in Raiders history.
Madden's overall winning percentage including playoff games ranks second in league history. He won a Super Bowl and never had a losing season as a head coach. Madden had a winning record as a head coach against Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll and Bud Grant, who are generally regarded as the top coaches of his era.
By other measures, John Madden has the highest winning percentage of all time.

However, it is also true that 10 years as head coach puts John Madden around number 58, but that's the same number of years as Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh.

Regardless, I suppose that in the minds of fans, the beauty about successful NFL coaches is that we imagine that they could have been equally successful as corporate CEOs or, better, military generals.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 987,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned Don Coryell who coached the Chargers.. Chargers never went to a Super Bowl under Coryell but he was a great coach.
Yeah, Coryell was great in SD. He also coached up some very good Cardinal teams before he was in San Diego.. very progressive (& underappreciated) passing coach.
I have to put Walsh ahead of Coryell tho, because of Walsh's championship success. Walsh coached a masterful ball-control passing plan.

Belichick & Lombardi would probably be my top 2 tho.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM

5,226 posts, read 5,104,825 times
Have to mention Weeb Ewbank.

Two NFL championships with the Baltimore Colts, one SuperBowl with the Jets.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:53 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,170,925 times
I'm going to add a name that doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone. Hank Stram. In his heyday as the Chiefs head coach Stram was an innovator. His "offense of the 70's" predated the "west coast" offense. He used multiple shifts and formations to create confusion and mismatches against the defense. There are many stories from restaurant owners around Kansas City telling of napkins and tablecloths with plays and formations scrawled across them after Hank and his fellow diners left. Not the greatest of all time but worthy of mentioning when compiling a list. From the ESPN article
"His coaching innovations can still be seen in today's game. He is credited for developing the moving pocket, which he used to take advantage of quarterback Len Dawson's mobility. He also was the first to use two-tight-end sets to provide extra protection against the pass rush. On the other side of the ball, Stram was the first to stack his defensive front seven with the linebackers right behind the down linemen."

Old 09-02-2017, 04:17 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
Default 64 Toss Power Trap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I'm going to add a name that doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone. Hank Stram. In his heyday as the Chiefs head coach Stram was an innovator. His "offense of the 70's" predated the "west coast" offense. He used multiple shifts and formations to create confusion and mismatches against the defense. There are many stories from restaurant owners around Kansas City telling of napkins and tablecloths with plays and formations scrawled across them after Hank and his fellow diners left. Not the greatest of all time but worthy of mentioning when compiling a list. From the ESPN article
"His coaching innovations can still be seen in today's game. He is credited for developing the moving pocket, which he used to take advantage of quarterback Len Dawson's mobility. He also was the first to use two-tight-end sets to provide extra protection against the pass rush. On the other side of the ball, Stram was the first to stack his defensive front seven with the linebackers right behind the down linemen."
Always good to see 0Marvin0 checking in here! Some stats on Henry---

Won-loss record with the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs: 124-76-10
Overall record: 131-97-10
Three AFL titles:1962, 1966, 1969
Won Super Bowl IV

In this thread I talked about Vince Lombardi and how he reacted regarding bringing black players to his club. When he became head coach in 1959, he had one black player. When he retired in 1967 there were 14 on the squad.

Stram tops that. Chief Ring Of Famer Abner Haynes was the first with the Texans. By the time the Chiefs won Super Bowl IV, they had 21 on that team. Yes--21. And that is a squad with a 43 man roster! That's basically half the roster. Mind you, this was 48 years ago! Here are the players:

Bobby Bell, Caesar Belser, Aaron Brown, Buck Buchanan, Curley Culp, Mike Garrett, Wendell Hayes, Robert "Tank" Holmes, Jim Kearney, Willie Lanier, Paul Lowe, Jim Marsalis, Curtis McClinton, Warren McVea, Willie Mitchell, Frank Pitts, Gloster Richardson, Goldie Sellers, Nolan (Super Gnat") Smith, Otis Taylor, and Emmitt Thomas.

During the first dozen years of his tenure, he didn't have offensive or defensive coordinators, he did both as well as be a head coach.

He knew about promoting. At the old Metropolitan Stadium (I went to a Bronco/Chief game there in 1969), the Chiefs had a section in the end zone called "Stenerud's Roost." And also a sign 50 feet to the left of it with a big X on it with a numbered date on it. That was the day that Jan Stenerud hit the wall with a kickoff.

Stram saw the talent from across the pond and saw what Lou Saban at Buffalo did by hiring a soccer style kicker. That would be Pete Gogolak. Stram brought in a few people a couple years later for tryouts, which along with Stenerud also included Bobby Howfield and Horst Muhlman. Howfield surfaced with Denver in 1968 and Muhlman went to the expansion club Cincinnati Bengals.

Stram believed in looking good on and off the field. On road trips the Chief players wore ties, slacks, and black blazers. In those days in the AFL there was sort of an unwritten rule about dress codes. Stram had a sort of sartorial elegance about his thinking. He was always wearing suits on the sidelines-always!

But Stram IMO was known for along with what Marvin mentioned earlier was one very important thing. Lloyd Wells was a professional photographer and also wrote articles for a few magazines, Ebony was the one he was most involved with. Stram employed Wells and had him and some associates on the road to scout the African American college football programs-Grambling, Morgan State, Bethune Cookman, Prarie View, and several others. In 1963 the other AFL coaches noted that Stram drafted a guy from Grambling and no doubt wondered about that. That would be Buck Buchanan who would not only be the first African American player to be a first round draft choice in pro football history but also go into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

And don't forget the long career Stram had with the media, he was on CBS for commentary for NFL games and he worked well with old pro Jack Buck on the radio regarding Monday Night Football. Stram knew every phase of the game inside and out.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:25 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,372,030 times
How did Barry Switzer and Jim Harbaugh make this list? The latter is a personal favorite of mine as a player and coach but he's not even in the discussion when it comes to NFL GOAT as a coach.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:38 PM

929 posts, read 297,657 times
I laughed when I saw Switzer as a choice; and Mike Ditka wasn't much better, particularly when you saw the god-awful stupid things he did during that disastrous stint in New Orleans. The guy was an iconic personality who meshed well with the city of Chicago- but a great football coach? Hardly. Walsh, Parcells, Belichick, or Gibbs would be my choices. But Shula deserves consideration as well if you consider just his first 60% or so of his head coaching career, which was still a good chunk of time.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:47 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,264,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah, Coryell was great in SD. He also coached up some very good Cardinal teams before he was in San Diego.. very progressive (& underappreciated) passing coach.
I have to put Walsh ahead of Coryell tho, because of Walsh's championship success. Walsh coached a masterful ball-control passing plan.

Belichick & Lombardi would probably be my top 2 tho.
Same here. Belichick and Lombardi on my top 2 as well.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 PM

5,973 posts, read 5,319,572 times
Blanton Collier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football