U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times

Advertisements

I didn't see it as bad, did the same thing, watching the SB recaps! It was nice seeing Josh Sitton and David Bahktiari together! However, Josh looks like he put on quite a bit of weight and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well I wonder why you even responded.

Since you didn't watch it, I'm not interested in your opinion or non-experience about it.

I enjoyed it. That AFC had a bit of No-fly zone going on and there was some good tackling.

I was flipping back and forth between this game and the NFL channel's recap of past Super Bowls.

It's a knee-jerk reaction to bash the Pro Bowl but it was actually pretty entertaining this time.
I saw it as an improvement over the last few years. Gruden kept talking about the incentive of the winners to get more $$ than the losers, and he pointed out that while that is not anything to the players, it is a lot of $$ to the coaches who make less The average salary for assistant/position coaches still remains $175,000, some make a lot more, some less, so that 61,000 that an assistant coach gets for winning the ProBowl perhaps had the sidelines more involved. Andy Reid easily out-coached Jason Garrett.

There were a few things I did not like. Jay Ajayi left with a possible shoulder injury. A fight almost broke out when Lorenzo Alexander hit Jimmy Graham. Football is a rough sport, and asking these guys to tone it down is sometimes impossible. Like when Von Miller drew a penalty for being the fifth clitzer, something he does regularly in a game.

There was too the usual clowning around, most notably Ajayi being carried like he was flying around by the defensive line, before they dropped him.
But overall, the players seemed to be having fun AND Putting in an effort.

I have always wondered if the game was EVER COMPETITIVE? No one seems to remember. In the olden days when I was a kid, the game was played AFTER the super bowl, and the reward of getting a free trip to Hawaii and some extra $$ was incentive enough for players who made substantially less than they do now.
SO suppose the game was played after the Super Bowl, everyone went, and you have Randy White of the Cowboys (Who had a reputation of hurting people in practice) Lining up against Mike Webster, and all White wants is one more shot at Bradshaw and Webster who beat him the week before........ And you say "OK Randy keep it gentle and clean out there......this is for fun".

Well, last night, the players DID seem to be having more fun and the game looked like less of a mockery than in years past. It may have some way to go, but I was glad that I watched it because it made for cheap entertainment

The Winners get $10,000 in their name donated to a high school/youth program of their choice. Many of these guys already donate generously to youth programs. But when Everson Griffin said that he wanted to win the car that they give away, it sounded like he upped the ante for everyone. Yeah, he can afford one, but that is NOT the same as winning one. Bragging Rights.
((Dick Vermiel used to give his players a free clock radio for making a huge impact play. One player mentioned that while any of them could have bought one, it was the idea of winning one as a reward that inspired everyone on the team to try harder, even though the item itself was of lesser monetary value)

And I loved Odell Beckham afterwards

"I'm pissed [about the loss]," Beckham said sternly, before cracking a smile. "Nah, I'm playing. It was a lot of fun, win lose or draw."

Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,234,660 times
I'll admit, I watched it. I thought it was a pretty good game. Nothing like the mockery it was in the past. And I loved the fact that some of the players started getting a bit chippy. Let's me know they were into the game.

Biggest reason I tuned in was to see Kirk Cousins play. I really thought he was going to march the NFC down the field and tie the game up for them. He seemed to take the game seriously. It was more like an all-star game should look like. He dropped the ball right in Jimmy Graham's bread-basket. They should have been six points there!

All in all, if the players play the Pro Bowl like they did last night, I'll tune in and watch. I'll admit though, the biggest incentive for me to watch is to see my Redskins players playing, but I guess that means they wouldn't be playing in the Super Bowl, so maybe I should not hope for any of the 'skins to play in next year's Pro Bowl!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:20 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
YES, the game was competitive at one time and it doesn't seem all that long ago when it was.. back in the 70s and even 80s.. players didn't make multi million $. So the little extra they got at the Pro Bowl and the extra they got for WINNING was important to them.. They played hard...

Old 01-30-2017, 09:25 AM

890 posts, read 1,532,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
YES, the game was competitive at one time and it doesn't seem all that long ago when it was.. back in the 70s and even 80s.. players didn't make multi million $. So the little extra they got at the Pro Bowl and the extra they got for WINNING was important to them.. They played hard...
Agreed. It really used to be a fun game. Not so much anymore.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
They played pretty hard last night.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 PM

21,328 posts, read 21,900,953 times
last I heard there were almost 40 players that opted out, hard to invest even 5 minutes in something so casually dismissed by so many of the players...if they are going to play the leftovers anyways, might as well play against the CFL champions/all-stars

Old 01-30-2017, 06:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,976,522 times
Remember when the college all stars played the super bowl champs ? If you cannot remember anything before 1976 then never mind, that was the last time they played.
I never saw one of the games, I was a kid and it was not on tv at our house

Old 01-31-2017, 06:07 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Remember when the college all stars played the super bowl champs ? If you cannot remember anything before 1976 then never mind, that was the last time they played.
I never saw one of the games, I was a kid and it was not on tv at our house
I do remember this.. the Super BOwl champs were often upset in this game.. of course.. they treated it like a scrimmage where as the College kids, did not..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
last I heard there were almost 40 players that opted out, hard to invest even 5 minutes in something so casually dismissed by so many of the players...if they are going to play the leftovers anyways, might as well play against the CFL champions/all-stars
Biggest reason is that they're playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl. Which means, any Super Bowl players selected to the Pro Bowl automatically don't play in the Pro Bowl. I bet a good chunk of those 40 players probably are Super Bowl players, with another good chunk being because of injuries. The Redskins had 3 of their 5 players opt out because of injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football