U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM

5,694 posts, read 4,243,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
It is all for the fans anyway. Kind of fun to see a team made up of "All Stars" even if some of the stars were not there.

I really liked the way Cousins ran that guy down after the interception. Entertaining.

Yes, The Pro Bowl was on and I enjoyed it.

That being said, someone will always find something to complain about.
But while watching the game, I managed three things
1 No Jokes made about the San Diego Chargers
2 No comments about Andy Reid's weight, or how much food he can buy with his $61.000.
3 I refrained from any comments about what a bad coach Jason Garrett is.

SO see, something good did come out of the game. I was away from my usual, comical, light-hearted, trash-talking behavior.
Considering Garrett is the favorite to win Coach of the Year.. that's probably wise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,252,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Not sure about that. Who wants to start off the season risking injury in a worthless game?
Well, tell me, right off the top of your head, and don't Google it, how many players do you know of that have gotten seriously injured playing the Pro Bowl since 1950?

There's four worthless games played every year before the regular season, and most starters play at least two or three of those games, if only for a quarter or a half - which is about how long most of those players play in the Pro Bowl.

Quote:
The NFL should just dump the Pro Bowl. And that skills competition was just silly. I taped then watched it. Silly. I FF'd through most of it, especially dodge ball. Give me a break!
So, because you don't enjoy it, the NFL should just get rid of it? Gotcha. OK. Nevermind the younger viewers who tune in who think it's the coolest thing to see their favorite player they idolize competing in a skills competition or playing a game of dodge ball. Or even yet, have a chance to go to the game and get an autograph. It's all for the fans, and there's still enough interest from the players themselves that keeps the Pro Bowl alive and the festivities associated with it. And there's still plenty of players who find honor in getting selected to the Pro Bowl. Simply put, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Seems logical to me.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM

1,038 posts, read 589,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, tell me, right off the top of your head, and don't Google it, how many players do you know of that have gotten seriously injured playing the Pro Bowl since 1950?

There's four worthless games played every year before the regular season, and most starters play at least two or three of those games, if only for a quarter or a half - which is about how long most of those players play in the Pro Bowl.

So, because you don't enjoy it, the NFL should just get rid of it? Gotcha. OK. Nevermind the younger viewers who tune in who think it's the coolest thing to see their favorite player they idolize competing in a skills competition or playing a game of dodge ball. Or even yet, have a chance to go to the game and get an autograph. It's all for the fans, and there's still enough interest from the players themselves that keeps the Pro Bowl alive and the festivities associated with it. And there's still plenty of players who find honor in getting selected to the Pro Bowl. Simply put, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Seems logical to me.
I didn't search but I am guessing no players have been seriously hurt at the Pro Bowl. But it is played at the end of the season when players want to heal up, they've recently been hitting each other. I suspect a different dynamic may occur if it's moved to the beginning of the season, which is what I responded to - players feel great, they're fresh and ready to hit someone.

So what is the answer, have there been any serious injuries at the Pro Bowl? Even an OL falling backward can roll up on a QB's leg and there goes an ACL. And there goes the season.

As for me not enjoying the Pro Bowl, I'm not alone. And the NFL knows it isn't that popular and they're trying to figure out what to do with it. Did you watch the skills competition? Maybe a few dozen fans were seen. Unless they were all off camera, there weren't a lot of people there.

I am looking to find a solution to this problem so that more kids and more fans can enjoy it and get their autographs i am lookin to bring value to the situation. Where's the value of a few dozen fans watching the skills competition? There hasn't been a lot of value to the Pro Bowl in a long time, not to me anyway.

As for the Pro Bowl game itself, I haven't watched one in many many many years. Maybe not since the 1990s.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM

21,409 posts, read 21,974,288 times
with all the players refusing to now participate there will be absolutely no meaning in listing pro bowl appearances as part of anyone's resume as a way to promote HOF credentials, more likely will be seen as a negative from now on

Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't search but I am guessing no players have been seriously hurt at the Pro Bowl. But it is played at the end of the season when players want to heal up, they've recently been hitting each other. I suspect a different dynamic may occur if it's moved to the beginning of the season, which is what I responded to - players feel great, they're fresh and ready to hit someone.

Exactly my point of moving it before the season instead of afterwards. Players are healed up, ready to go.

Quote:
So what is the answer, have there been any serious injuries at the Pro Bowl? Even an OL falling backward can roll up on a QB's leg and there goes an ACL. And there goes the season.

There was one injury to Drew Brees - a dislocated elbow on his non-throwing arm, and it was years ago. Since then, the rules of the Pro Bowl has changed to help limit the chance of such an injury to quarterbacks. And Drew has played in several Pro Bowls since then without fear of getting hurt again.

There was a very serious injury to a running back in a flag football game back in 1998 - not the Pro Bowl, but it was associated with the event. Since then, there have been some minor retired flag football events, but nothing associated with current players that I'm aware of.

While I don't want any player getting injured at all, we're talking about over 65 years of the Pro Bowl and only one notable injury and one very notable injury associated with an event outside of the Pro Bowl. Bringing up the risk of injury doesn't seem to apply as a reason to jettison the Pro Bowl in this case.

Quote:
As for me not enjoying the Pro Bowl, I'm not alone. And the NFL knows it isn't that popular and they're trying to figure out what to do with it. Did you watch the skills competition? Maybe a few dozen fans were seen. Unless they were all off camera, there weren't a lot of people there.

I'm not alone in not liking brussell sprouts, but that doesn't mean grocery stores should stop selling it. There's enough market for them, just like there is for the Pro Bowl. Simply put, change the channel if you don't want to watch the Pro Bowl. If enough do so and it goes away, so be it. But, obviously, there's still some market for it, because the event keeps happening. And since I was one of the ones who did tune in to watch it, I can commit that there were quite a few fans at the stadium to watch the event. Quite enough to call the event a success.

Quote:
I am looking to find a solution to this problem so that more kids and more fans can enjoy it and get their autographs i am lookin to bring value to the situation. Where's the value of a few dozen fans watching the skills competition? There hasn't been a lot of value to the Pro Bowl in a long time, not to me anyway.

As for the Pro Bowl game itself, I haven't watched one in many many many years. Maybe not since the 1990s.
I don't mean to be rude, but if you haven't watched the Pro Bowl in over 20 years, how in the world do you think you're qualified to comment on "fixing" it? Seriously? I haven't tuned in every year, but I've tuned in enough to see how lackadaisical the players took it in the past, and how very different it was this year. The game is never going to be as intense as a playoff game or even a regular season game. For one, the rules won't allow it, and two, it's an all-star game. It's meant to be fun, and it's more along the lines of sports entertainment for the fans who tune in, rather than something of high competition. Now, if you're wanting it to be as intense as a regular season game, then the fix is quite easy. Take two preseason games away, replace one week with the Pro Bowl. The conference that wins the Pro Bowl has all of their teams in that conference moving up one spot in next year's draft, while the losing team has to move down in the draft. That's very high stakes there.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:47 AM

Look, skinsguy, if you like the Pro Bowl, knock yourself out and enjoy the games. How am I qualified to comment? What, are we going to compare our football resumés, you and me, to see who is more knowledgeable about football, who is more qualified to comment on the Pro Bowl, who is more worthy? I'm not going to enter into any pissing contest here. I think it is arguably the worst of the three major sports's all star games, and I think it is a problem that needs to be fixed. The NFL too, has been trying to "fix" it, changing venues and rules and related activities.

You've raised many good points about it, so, cool, if you and other people enjoy it that's great. Like I said, knock yourself out, enjoy. Me, I'll stick to my analysis based on not having watched it in a long time. It's broken, it's been broken a kong time, please fix it.

Baseball's all star game is arguably the most true of them, it is the most true to the sport. Pitchers doing their best and trying to get hitters out, defenders doing their best on defense, and the hitters doing their best and trying to get 'em on, get 'em over, and get 'em in. One of the things you don't or won't see is the bang-bang runner from 1st trying to break up a double play by taking out the middle infielder, or the collision at home plate as a runner tries to score. And the intended brush back pitch. That is totally fine and otherwise it is a real and meaningful game. Especially now that it determines home field advantage for the World Series. Great idea, and that is huge.

Basketball's all star game is an offensive showcase, and it's quite enjoyable that way. We've come to accept it that way, and it is fun to watch. We are truly entertained. Yes there are some defensive challenges like one-on-one isolations where the defender will say to the ball handler, okay, I got you now and there is no way you are putting that ball in the net, not on me, and not now. That showdown is fine and it is fun to watch but for most of it, it is showtime, run and gun, bust it from 35-40 feet, or alley-oop it all over the place, or elevate, hang in the air, and slam it home. 5 on 5 going at it, it works pretty well in an all star format. It is less true than baseball to the real game, but it's good enough.

Football: fix it.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,848,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Anyone else enjoying this ? Been a good game so far. They are not making a mockery of the game as in gyears past. The players look to be having fun. And I love the AFC. Vs NFC format .
I attended the Pro Bowl in Orlando. It was pretty fun meeting fans from other places. Talking to fans on a message forum is one thing, meeting various fans and sharing a beer at a tailgate before the Pro Bowl was great. The Citrus Bowl in Orlando is in pretty good shape as well. I have read some of the reviews about the Pro Bowl in Orlando and most of it is lies and hogwash. Many of the old media guard seem to resent the game moving to the east cost. Ive never been to a Pro Bowl game until last week, because in the past it was too inaccessible. Honolulu is a 6 hour flight from LA, I live in Atlanta. If I am making a trip to Hawaii its for a 2 week vacation, not for a 1 day sporting event. Orlando didnt do a perfect job at having things together, again I am in Atlanta and we know a thing or 2 about hosting major sporting events. Especially football. Ill return to Orlando next year for Pro Bowl 2018. Its a 45 minute flight to Orlando from Atlanta and the flights are cheap. Well worth the trip for the value.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:01 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,848,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
The game has become an embarrassment and it should finally be put to rest. Attendance yesterday was not good and for all the right reasons.
You see this is a bold face lie. I was at the game! Where do you people come up with this false crap. The stadium was full and the organizers had to put standing room only tickets on sale. Cmon guys stop lying. I dont want hear anything from anyone who didnt fly into Orlando and take in all the activities. The media is lying to you guys and so is Aura.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Look, skinsguy, if you like the Pro Bowl, knock yourself out and enjoy the games. How am I qualified to comment? What, are we going to compare our football resumés, you and me, to see who is more knowledgeable about football, who is more qualified to comment on the Pro Bowl, who is more worthy? I'm not going to enter into any pissing contest here. I think it is arguably the worst of the three major sports's all star games, and I think it is a problem that needs to be fixed. The NFL too, has been trying to "fix" it, changing venues and rules and related activities.
It's not about who's more knowledgeable about football. It's simply the fact that those of us who took the time to tune in and watch the game were pleasantly surprised at how competitive the game was and how much effort the players put into the game. It's obvious that whatever the NFL is trying to do to make the game enjoyable and less of a mockery is starting to work - at least this year.

Quote:
You've raised many good points about it, so, cool, if you and other people enjoy it that's great. Like I said, knock yourself out, enjoy. Me, I'll stick to my analysis based on not having watched it in a long time. It's broken, it's been broken a kong time, please fix it.
How can you analyze something you don't watch? That doesn't make any sense?

Quote:
Baseball's all star game is arguably the most true of them, it is the most true to the sport. Pitchers doing their best and trying to get hitters out, defenders doing their best on defense, and the hitters doing their best and trying to get 'em on, get 'em over, and get 'em in. One of the things you don't or won't see is the bang-bang runner from 1st trying to break up a double play by taking out the middle infielder, or the collision at home plate as a runner tries to score. And the intended brush back pitch. That is totally fine and otherwise it is a real and meaningful game. Especially now that it determines home field advantage for the World Series. Great idea, and that is huge.

Basketball's all star game is an offensive showcase, and it's quite enjoyable that way. We've come to accept it that way, and it is fun to watch. We are truly entertained. Yes there are some defensive challenges like one-on-one isolations where the defender will say to the ball handler, okay, I got you now and there is no way you are putting that ball in the net, not on me, and not now. That showdown is fine and it is fun to watch but for most of it, it is showtime, run and gun, bust it from 35-40 feet, or alley-oop it all over the place, or elevate, hang in the air, and slam it home. 5 on 5 going at it, it works pretty well in an all star format. It is less true than baseball to the real game, but it's good enough.

Football: fix it.
See, I'm not even going to comment on the All-Star games for the MLB and NBA, because I haven't watched those games. I have no basis of analysis to make a proper judgment on those sports.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM

SRO at the Pro Bowl? Okay, cool, that is a good sign. What about attendance at the skills competition, was it strongly attended? On TV it looked like only a few dozen fans were there.

I'm glad you guys had a good time at the Pro Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football