Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Biggest reason is that they're playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl. Which means, any Super Bowl players selected to the Pro Bowl automatically don't play in the Pro Bowl. I bet a good chunk of those 40 players probably are Super Bowl players, with another good chunk being because of injuries. The Redskins had 3 of their 5 players opt out because of injury.
And that comes back to $. There is no incentive for the players.. these are top players, making top $ and the Pro Bowl simply cannot pay them enough to warrant the risk.

I distinctly remember Troy Aikman getting fined by the league when the Pro Bowl was a week after the SB and it was still in Hawaii. Troy had just won SB MVP and had some endorsement things to attend to so he skipped out of the game after the 1st qtr or so and he was no longer playing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Biggest reason is that they're playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl. Which means, any Super Bowl players selected to the Pro Bowl automatically don't play in the Pro Bowl. I bet a good chunk of those 40 players probably are Super Bowl players, with another good chunk being because of injuries. The Redskins had 3 of their 5 players opt out because of injury.

not the case with most (75%) of the replacements and I'm guess most of those "injuries" are healed up by the Monday after the Pro Bowl was played. Holding the game in Orlando probably didn't help much but the players just don't want to play for all the reasons too obvious. Yet, as long as the league continues to make money off the game, they will continue to hold it.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times
WHAT??? There was a Pro Bowl?

And I do not think it is correct English to use the words 'Pro Bowl' and 'enjoy' in the same sentence.

Exception: "I enjoyed my weekend and did not watch the Pro Bowl."

OK, that works.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Oh, yeah...

The "Pro Bowl".

Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
And that comes back to $. There is no incentive for the players.. these are top players, making top $ and the Pro Bowl simply cannot pay them enough to warrant the risk.

I distinctly remember Troy Aikman getting fined by the league when the Pro Bowl was a week after the SB and it was still in Hawaii. Troy had just won SB MVP and had some endorsement things to attend to so he skipped out of the game after the 1st qtr or so and he was no longer playing..
The players in this year's Pro Bowl sure didn't play like there wasn't any incentive; especially Kirk Cousins.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not the case with most (75%) of the replacements and I'm guess most of those "injuries" are healed up by the Monday after the Pro Bowl was played. Holding the game in Orlando probably didn't help much but the players just don't want to play for all the reasons too obvious. Yet, as long as the league continues to make money off the game, they will continue to hold it.
I don't think anybody is arguing that there isn't as much incentive to play in the Pro Bowl as it would be the Super Bowl. That being said, some players don't need much incentive to get out and compete. Others do. That doesn't take away from the fact that this year's Pro Bowl was actually competitive and effort was made. Unlike past Pro Bowls.

I don't really see the problem with those watching the Pro Bowl and enjoying it nor those who don't want to watch it. It's kind of a silly argument either way.

I would say that if the Pro Bowl was moved to right before the new season started, the players would probably be excited to play in it since they haven't had a chance to really hit anybody all year.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
It is all for the fans anyway. Kind of fun to see a team made up of "All Stars" even if some of the stars were not there.

I really liked the way Cousins ran that guy down after the interception. Entertaining.

Yes, The Pro Bowl was on and I enjoyed it.

That being said, someone will always find something to complain about.
But while watching the game, I managed three things
1 No Jokes made about the San Diego Chargers
2 No comments about Andy Reid's weight, or how much food he can buy with his $61.000.
3 I refrained from any comments about what a bad coach Jason Garrett is.

SO see, something good did come out of the game. I was away from my usual, comical, light-hearted, trash-talking behavior.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I would say that if the Pro Bowl was moved to right before the new season started, the players would probably be excited to play in it since they haven't had a chance to really hit anybody all year.
Not sure about that. Who wants to start off the season risking injury in a worthless game?

The NFL should just dump the Pro Bowl. And that skills competition was just silly. I taped then watched it. Silly. I FF'd through most of it, especially dodge ball. Give me a break!

Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
The simple reality of this day and age - when stars make 8 figures/year, when the season is 16+ games long, when the facts that players keep getting both bigger and faster makes the cumulative effect of a season all the more brutal - is that an exhibition game in January (and that's exactly what the Pro Bowl is) simply isn't going to amount to much. As Don Henley sang, 'those days are gone forever [we] should just let 'em go!'.

The NFL should put it out to pasture.

But then, this is a league that would sell pay-per-view of Tom Brady cleaning out his belly-button lint if it thought there was a buck in it, so that won't happen...

Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 PM

Ack! Thanks for the imagery I did not need!

The NFL should put a bullet in it, but likely won't. Maybe we'd be better served by coming up with a replacement idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football