U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win Super Bowl LI?
Atlanta Falcons 27 50.00%
New England Patriots 27 50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 2 days ago)

1,246 posts, read 588,295 times

Advertisements

Well, I feel that both offenses can score at will. I do feel that New England's defense is a little inflated but they dominated their competition. New England is great on offense and solid on defense. Both teams will move the ball but which defense will be tighter in the red zone? New England has defensive stats to say that they'll hold up in the red zone but ATL's defense really covers quickly. This will be a chess match and I feel that ATL will make the right moves against New England.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,489,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Thanks, but I really don't need your permission to believe what the FACTS tell me is true....Atlanta Falcon's defense ranked 25th in a league of 32 teams....they gave up 406 points compared to the Pats 250....

Yep they "grew up" after the bye....played exactly ONE team with a winning record and a decent defense after the bye during the regular season and LOST to that team....

Played Seattle without their defensive leader in the secondary and then faced a team in GB that had an even worse defense than their own...

I just worry Brady may get tired out going up and down the field all night long against that sorry defense...he is getting up there in years
You're putting too much stock into stats and what so called experts are saying and its clouding your judgement. Have you watched any Falcons games outside of the playoffs? Watching highlights and looking up stats doesn't do this team justice. Between Vic Beasley's 15.5 sacks, Deion Jones 3 interceptions (2 for TD's), De'Vondre Campbell is 6'4, 232 and runs a 4.5, Keanu Neal has been laying dudes out all season long, just ask Willie Snead and Mike Evans and Jalen Collins and even Ra'Shede Hageman have balled out. If you don't know you will know come Sunday. As for your stats I guarantee you Dan Quinn will field a top 10 defense both scoring and yards next year with these same dudes.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 PM

343 posts, read 624,103 times
Patriots.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:16 PM

I'll make another point as to why stats are unless this year. Here's a look at the top 10 scoring defenses in the regular season.

Rank Team Pts/G Total Pts
1 New England Patriots 15.6 250
In Super Bowl 51.

2 New York Giants 17.8 284
1 and done in the playoffs.

3 Seattle Seahawks 18.2 292
Lost to Atlanta in division round of playoffs.

4 Denver Broncos 18.6 297
Did not make the playoffs.

5 Dallas Cowboys 19.1 306
1 and done in division round of playoffs.

6 Minnesota Vikings 19.2 307

7 Kansas City Chiefs 19.4 311

9 Baltimore Ravens 20.1 321

10 Pittsburgh Steelers 20.4 327
Lost to New England in conference round of playoffs.

For fun.
27 Atlanta Falcons 25.4 406
In Super Bowl 51.
Scoring defense ranks mean nothing this year.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM

9,423 posts, read 17,430,318 times
I'm sticking with the Pats. Although I'd like to see Atlanta win it, and I admit that I've underestimated them all year, I've gotta give the edge to the team that's proven its strengths all season long. A close one: Pats 34; Falcons 31.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:35 AM

10,716 posts, read 11,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I'll make another point as to why stats are unless this year. Here's a look at the top 10 scoring defenses in the regular season.

Rank Team Pts/G Total Pts
1 New England Patriots 15.6 250
In Super Bowl 51.

2 New York Giants 17.8 284
1 and done in the playoffs.

3 Seattle Seahawks 18.2 292
Lost to Atlanta in division round of playoffs.

4 Denver Broncos 18.6 297

5 Dallas Cowboys 19.1 306

6 Minnesota Vikings 19.2 307

7 Kansas City Chiefs 19.4 311

9 Baltimore Ravens 20.1 321

10 Pittsburgh Steelers 20.4 327
Lost to New England in conference round of playoffs.

For fun.
27 Atlanta Falcons 25.4 406
In Super Bowl 51.
Scoring defense ranks mean nothing this year.
That's an interesting point. I don't know that it's relevant to the game in front of us, but it's still interesting. It seems less and less frequent to have a truly dominant defense in today's NFL. The Seahawks in 2013 and Broncos last year are good examples, and of course every year there will be someone who stands out relative to that season. But if you look at the standings from 20 or so years ago, 10-12 teams would have a total "points against" below 300 and the yardage totals are astronomical compared to before.

I think that is what makes the 2013 Seahawks and 2015 Broncos defenses so impressive. The Seahawks shut down the greatest offense the league's ever seen. The 2015 Broncos shut down a pretty impressive offense as well, and did so with no help from its own offense.

Defense still matters, but what passes as a good defense today has really dropped off from previous eras.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 5 days ago)

2,745 posts, read 3,276,911 times
Patriots for sure, AGAIN!

Same burned out old story will repeat itself. Can't stand dynasties.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM

4,989 posts, read 11,074,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
You're putting too much stock into stats and what so called experts are saying and its clouding your judgement. Have you watched any Falcons games outside of the playoffs? Watching highlights and looking up stats doesn't do this team justice. Between Vic Beasley's 15.5 sacks, Deion Jones 3 interceptions (2 for TD's), De'Vondre Campbell is 6'4, 232 and runs a 4.5, Keanu Neal has been laying dudes out all season long, just ask Willie Snead and Mike Evans and Jalen Collins and even Ra'Shede Hageman have balled out. If you don't know you will know come Sunday. As for your stats I guarantee you Dan Quinn will field a top 10 defense both scoring and yards next year with these same dudes.
So to recap, I am basing my conclusion that Atlanta has a sorry defense on Facts, Stats and expert opinion...

YOU are basing your opinion that Atlanta has a top tier defense on......what exactly? Campbell's measurables??

Seriously??

To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are"

The Falcons are a very good 11-5 team with an outstanding offense and a weak, 27th ranked defense..

They are going up against a better 14-2 team with an outstanding offense and a terrific defense led by the GOAT at QB and head coach.

Falcons can't stop the run.....Pats will pound Blount and Lewis

Falcons have a weak D line with only one true threat rushing the QB in Beasley who got almost ALL of his sacks against backups and cast offs....

From Pro Football Focus:

Beasley’s “high quality” sacks came against two back up right tackles, a guard playing out of position, one of the league’s worst starting right tackles, and two L.A. Rams. In the 12 games that Beasley failed to earn an “HQ” sack, the average PFF grade of the right tackles he faced was 71.5. The average grade of the six linemen he managed to take advantage of? 51.3.

New England right tackle Marcus Cannon’s 2016 grade? 88.1. Cannon also hasn’t allowed a sack since the opening game of the season.

Finally a secondary full of rookies.....that should work out real well against Brady

The only way to beat Brady is to get pressure up the middle, there is nothing to suggest Atlanta has the personnel to do this, if they have to blitz to get pressure its game over....Brady is historically good against the Blitz...

Atlanta will get their points but I definitely trust the Pats Defense to get 1 or 2 more stops than the Atlanta defense and thats all it will take to pull out the win...

Anyone who thinks the Atlanta defense is more capable of getting stops than New England is basing that opinion on nothing more than hope and faith because there has been no evidence on the field that it will happen

Old 02-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So to recap, I am basing my conclusion that Atlanta has a sorry defense on Facts, Stats and expert opinion...

YOU are basing your opinion that Atlanta has a top tier defense on......what exactly? Campbell's measurables??

Seriously??

To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are"

The Falcons are a very good 11-5 team with an outstanding offense and a weak, 27th ranked defense..

They are going up against a better 14-2 team with an outstanding offense and a terrific defense led by the GOAT at QB and head coach.
So by your own logic Dallas should be in the Super Bowl and not Atlanta.

Quote:
Falcons can't stop the run.....Pats will pound Blount and Lewis
The only game Atlanta really struggled defending the run was Philly. If your banking on using them as a blueprint good luck. Atlanta did give up a bunch of TD's earlier in the year but even that has faded.

Quote:
Falcons have a weak D line with only one true threat rushing the QB in Beasley who got almost ALL of his sacks against backups and cast offs....
Huh? Dwight Freeney plays for Atlanta you know.

Quote:
From Pro Football Focus:

Beasley’s “high quality” sacks came against two back up right tackles, a guard playing out of position, one of the league’s worst starting right tackles, and two L.A. Rams. In the 12 games that Beasley failed to earn an “HQ” sack, the average PFF grade of the right tackles he faced was 71.5. The average grade of the six linemen he managed to take advantage of? 51.3.

New England right tackle Marcus Cannon’s 2016 grade? 88.1. Cannon also hasn’t allowed a sack since the opening game of the season.
You reference PFF as to how good your team is and how bad Atlanta is without acknowledging the level of competition New England has faced, I'm referring to playing nothing but backup QB's and losing to Russell Wilson at home.

Quote:
Finally a secondary full of rookies.....that should work out real well against Brady
Only 2 rookies everyone not named Alford is a 2nd year player. I don't recall any experts say they lacked talent or speed. What makes you think they will play bad against Tom Brady when they just saw Aaron Rodgers?

Quote:
The only way to beat Brady is to get pressure up the middle, there is nothing to suggest Atlanta has the personnel to do this, if they have to blitz to get pressure its game over....Brady is historically good against the Blitz...
I take it you didn't watch any Falcons games. I'm a Georgia fan so I know David Andrews and trust me he will struggle with Ra'Shede Hageman isolated.

Quote:
Atlanta will get their points but I definitely trust the Pats Defense to get 1 or 2 more stops than the Atlanta defense and thats all it will take to pull out the win...
Well your kind of making sense, but implying New England will get 1 or 2 more stops isn't saying much about New England's defense. They better get way more than 1 or 2 more stops against Atlanta if they want to win.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks the Atlanta defense is more capable of getting stops than New England is basing that opinion on nothing more than hope and faith because there has been no evidence on the field that it will happen
It kind of sounds like your downplaying Atlanta's chances here while building up New England's to convince yourself they are the better team. New England doesn't have any distinctive advantages over Atlanta except maybe short yardage running, while Atlanta has a speed advantage on both sides of the ball.

Last edited by dpatt.marine1; 02-04-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 12:49 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
Looking at NFL.com, their stats in the analyze game section show Pats having the edge on defense, all categories, which was somewhat of a surprise to me. Points and passing yards per game allowed were interesting, especially as some here were talking like Patriots don't have a defense.

Last edited by susancruzs; 02-04-2017 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or