U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM

1,182 posts, read 480,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Bachslunch! Good post. A couple things here--

First, Milt Sunde was made, um, in jest! You're relatively knew to the football sub forum and Ghengis, heh, makes sure we don't get too full of ourselves! As far as the Vikes go though, he knows the Vikings!

I disagree about Marshall but hey, that's what this forum is here for! I also keep in mind that Alan Page and Karl Eller are in the HOF, and putting an extra guy in there was not going to happen.

And THANK YOU for mentioning Johnny Robinson! First Bronco game I went to was in '62, I remember the rivalry with the Chiefs, or I should say the hammer and nail rivalry--Broncos>>nail, Chiefs>>>hammer. I don't believe Robinson's name has even been brought up in this forum, it has now!

And there are several other AFL players who haven't gotten the respect they deserve from the HOF selection committee.
Thanks for the kind words, Double H. I find HoF discussions interesting.

Robinson is arguably one of the worst HoF snubs out there to my thinking. His profile of 6/7/allAFL is elite, and he also grades out excellently at Ken Crippen's film study site, in fact with one of the highest scores they've given out. The HoF has been extremely neglectful of the safety position, as well as WR and OLBs from the 50s-70s.

Agreed, there are some other AFL players with varying degrees of argument, including Walt Sweeney, Ed Budde, Houston Antwine, Dave Grayson, Tom Sestak, Earl Faison, Art Powell, and Lionel Taylor. Short careers hamper some of these folks unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 AM

Forgot to list three of the best AFLers not in: Jim Tyrer, Winston Hill, Larry Grantham.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:02 AM

1,579 posts, read 985,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Don Coryell also regressed, and this was likely his best chance. He's probably toast.
Bach,.. do they reveal the final vote tally on Coryell (?) I'm curious to see how close he got. I know he's been a finalist several times..

Coryell's an all-time great offensive innovator. First half of the 8os, his Chargers were consistently league leaders in generating yards.
To Coryell's credit, he took struggling franchises in both StL & San Diego and made them potent offenses. I think his influence on the modern offense, and ability to thrive in the cities he did.. are Hall worthy, but..

Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Bach,.. do they reveal the final vote tally on Coryell (?) I'm curious to see how close he got. I know he's been a finalist several times..

Coryell's an all-time great offensive innovator. First half of the 8os, his Chargers were consistently league leaders in generating yards.
To Coryell's credit, he took struggling franchises in both StL & San Diego and made them potent offenses. I think his influence on the modern offense, and ability to thrive in the cities he did.. are Hall worthy, but..
As I understand it, they only reveal the cutdown block, not actual votes in the cutdown. And Coryell did survive the first cutdown into the top 10 last year, but not this year. Couple this with the fact that this year was more or less a catch-up year, his regressing doesn't make his chances look good. Especially with six good candidates coming up next year and more in future years. Could be wrong, of course.

I can see an argument for Coryell, actually. His strongest case is an an offensive innovator. He also did remarkably well coaching arguably the two worst-run franchises of the time. His W-L record of 111-83-1 is okay if not world-beatingly good. The biggest arguments against him? He did badly in the playoffs (including no SB appearances) and his defenses were usually as bad as his offenses were good. His best chances might be if he got moved over to the Contributor category, but good luck having that happen.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,237,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Fortunately for him, Jacoby still has one year of eligibility before the Senior abyss. But regressing out of the top 10 makes his election less likely.

I'm kind of on the fence with Jacoby (3/4/80s is a little thin for postseason honors at his position), but getting him elected will better make a case for someone like Mike Kenn (3/5/none) or Marvin Powell (also 3/5/none, and now a Senior).

They may make more of an effort to get him in next time, given it will be his last year -- but we shall see.
Jacob was a huge factor in making that legendary Redskins running game with Riggins and the other 80's backs such a success. In all honesty, the Hogs should be inducted as a group!

Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Jacob was a huge factor in making that legendary Redskins running game with Riggins and the other 80's backs such a success. In all honesty, the Hogs should be inducted as a group!
I'm not much taken with anecdotal arguments for the HoF. Good quality film study like that done over at Ken Crippen's website? Sure, all for that.

Here's how I see it. This is the original 'Hogs line with postseason honors:

C Jeff Bostic (0/1/none)
G Mark May (0/1/none)
G Russ Grimm (4/4/80s), in HoF
T Joe Jacoby (3/4/80s)
T George Starke (0/0/none)

Later "members" would include folks like G Mark Schlereth (0/2/none), G Raleigh McKenzie (0/0/none), G Ray Brown (0/0/none), T Ed Simmons (0/0/none), and T Jim Lachey (3/3/none).

Grimm is in. His honors are a little slim but arguably just good enough. Jacoby has one fewer 1st team all pro selection, which pushes him more towards borderline status. I won't complain too much if he gets in, especially if they make some effort to get in folks like Mike Kenn and Marvin Powell. And if Jacoby is borderline, Lachey is a bit below that, lacking a pro bowl and all decade team membership. I just don't see anything resembling a HoF argument for the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football