U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM
 
Location: AriZona
5,230 posts, read 3,151,366 times
Reputation: 5406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
A teams fortunes lies squarely with their QB. As such, the Falcons will always be a fit contender never to become champion. Matt Ryan lacks charismatic leadership and something lacking in the confidence dept. overall. This loss will further present doubts about his ability to win in the big game. No such charge can be leveled at Tom Brady, as he eats up adversity like it is breakfast cereal.

Pats next season will go 11-5, Gronk will be back and playing in next years Superbowl game. Tom Brady will then retire with 6 rings to his name.

Falcons a decent regular season, playoff bound and then beaten in the conference game. Matt Ryan and the Falcons had their best shot at a championship this year. There will be no other for this team.
It's rather harsh to declare that the Atlanta Falcons (or any team) are dead and gone just because they lose the SB. Regardless of a SB loss, to proclaim that they'll never return is unrealistic and unacceptable. A team's history should have no bearing on any other seasons.

Each year brings about different sets of rules and circumstances, and different team strengths. No amount of historical stats, positional debate, or social media rhetoric can determine what will actually happen when the game is played on the field.

 
Old 02-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Status: "Fill the days." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,721 posts, read 11,150,031 times
Reputation: 14184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
It's rather harsh to declare that the Atlanta Falcons (or any team) are dead and gone just because they lose the SB. Regardless of a SB loss, to proclaim that they'll never return is unrealistic and unacceptable. A team's history should have no bearing on any other seasons.

Each year brings about different sets of rules and circumstances, and different team strengths. No amount of historical stats, positional debate, or social media rhetoric can determine what will actually happen when the game is played on the field.
I completely agree. We even have a recent example of how different a team can be from one year to the next. The Broncos took a record setting offense int SB XLVIII and got thrashed. Two years later they show up in SB50 with an offense that could barely keep itself on the field, much less score. But they also brought a defense that is destined to be discussed in the "best ever" discussions for years to come. While this doesn't mean the Falcons will rebound, it demonstrates it CAN be done.
 
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,254 posts, read 2,873,723 times
Reputation: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
It's rather harsh to declare that the Atlanta Falcons (or any team) are dead and gone just because they lose the SB. Regardless of a SB loss, to proclaim that they'll never return is unrealistic and unacceptable. A team's history should have no bearing on any other seasons.

Each year brings about different sets of rules and circumstances, and different team strengths. No amount of historical stats, positional debate, or social media rhetoric can determine what will actually happen when the game is played on the field.
This!

I will add though, that the 4th Quarter showed what Ryan is missing from getting to that next level. For as great as he has become, and listen, I've been a Ryan supporter his entire career, even with rumors a few years ago that the front office wanted to ship him out....as great as he is, he wears just as much blame as anybody else for the choke job. You have to be able to feel that blitz coming. On two consecutive drives he showed embarrassing awareness for his peripheral--the first time, he fumbled, the second time, 10 yard loss. Both times, he's supposed to throw that **** out of bounds!

He's not the sole guilty party; obviously, the play calling was simply horrible and once again, Quinn showed he struggles with late game management of timeouts, situational football, etc. But Ryan cannot be absolved here. He's an MVP now and is expected to perform as such. His inability to feel the pressure and get rid of the ball to preserve the drive helped cost them the game. Back to back ****in possessions...

And yes, sometimes you get nailed unexpectedly and it's tough to maintain control of the ball--but it's the Super Bowl, you have to do it. I saw Brady get absolutely DECKED twice by Grady Jarrett unexpectedly, but he didn't lose the ball. That's an intangible that's the hallmark of next level greatness. And Matt Ryan is now officially an elite QB. But that's what's missing from his game. He's got to be able to be more clutch and have better pocket awareness to seperate from the field of other elite quarterbacks!
 
Old 02-14-2017, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
3,355 posts, read 2,321,812 times
Reputation: 4812
For Atlanta, yes the talent and now experience is there, but a loss like this can totally destroy a team, doubt will set in a lot more now. They have to try to avoid thinking "Up 28-3 with 21 min left and we STILL lost-if we can't win then, we may never win it"! I'm a die hard GB fanatic, and I truly think their collapse vs Seattle, up 19-7 with what 3 minutes left, closed the SB window for good on that franchise. I doubt they will ever recover and go back.
For NE, #6 is a real probability.
A lot of seemingly intelligent, level-headed folks had a bad feeling about the legitimacy of this SB. All I know is that when it was 28-3 I bet $500 that I can't afford to lose, on the Patriots to win, I was THAT sure that the Falcons would suddenly become the 11 Stooges, and Brady would be Brady and Superman combined. I KNEW it and felt it, and so did a lot of others. A once-in-a-lifetime comeback shouldn't be that expected-if totally on the level, but it probably was 100% legit
As long as we are playing the "What if" game- what if the Tuck Rule was rescinded in 2000 instead of 2013?? Is Brady BRADY?? Is Belichick BELICHICK?? How many SB wins are in the Patriots trophycase?? Is Brady the GOAT or is he like Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan-a great QB that hasn;t won many or ANY Super bowls? Is there a Patriot dynasty, or is the AFC wide open all these years?
 
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,737 posts, read 11,587,465 times
Reputation: 12484
Only 2 teams have made the playoffs 8 years in a row, Patriots and Packers. Teams go to the SB then don't make the playoffs the next year, it happens more frequently than you think.

It happened to Panthers and Broncos this year. Giants and Ravens haven't been back to the SB after winning it in 2011 and 2012. Seahawks don't look like the dominating team they were after going to the SB 2 years in a row.
 
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 PM
 
6,510 posts, read 3,493,763 times
Reputation: 10334
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
For Atlanta, yes the talent and now experience is there, but a loss like this can totally destroy a team, doubt will set in a lot more now. They have to try to avoid thinking "Up 28-3 with 21 min left and we STILL lost-if we can't win then, we may never win it"! I'm a die hard GB fanatic, and I truly think their collapse vs Seattle, up 19-7 with what 3 minutes left, closed the SB window for good on that franchise. I doubt they will ever recover and go back.
For NE, #6 is a real probability.
A lot of seemingly intelligent, level-headed folks had a bad feeling about the legitimacy of this SB. All I know is that when it was 28-3 I bet $500 that I can't afford to lose, on the Patriots to win, I was THAT sure that the Falcons would suddenly become the 11 Stooges, and Brady would be Brady and Superman combined. I KNEW it and felt it, and so did a lot of others. A once-in-a-lifetime comeback shouldn't be that expected-if totally on the level, but it probably was 100% legit
As long as we are playing the "What if" game- what if the Tuck Rule was rescinded in 2000 instead of 2013?? Is Brady BRADY?? Is Belichick BELICHICK?? How many SB wins are in the Patriots trophycase?? Is Brady the GOAT or is he like Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan-a great QB that hasn;t won many or ANY Super bowls? Is there a Patriot dynasty, or is the AFC wide open all these years?
And such is the beauty of being a New England Patriots, Brady, Belichick, and Kraft fan.

No What Ifs here, just a pocket full of the best the NFL has ever seen.
 
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
3,673 posts, read 1,811,085 times
Reputation: 4709
Brady and Belechik are made of the right stuff, not normal stuff. I'd place a bet they will be contenders in the playoffs next year.

After that? Father Time is still batting 1.000. Someday Brady will wake up with a creak somewhere and his skills will diminish. He has 2-3 years left...tops...at this level anyway. I'm not positive he will be as great in 2017. Father Time is still batting 1.000.
 
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,564,337 times
Reputation: 5309
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
I laugh at people who make the empty headed argument of a QB being the GOAT because he has 5 SB rings. Seeing otherwise intelligent people resort to such elementary level arguments makes me chuckle. He is definitely top 5, but not the GOAT that title belongs to Manning. Nonetheless, due to his work ethic and drive, along with his supporting cast, I have no doubt that'll he'll STILL be able to play at a high level for the next 3-5 years.

And please, as a Falcons fan, do not compare Ryan to Rodgers. Ryan was better THIS YEAR, but Rodgers is an all time great.
I'm the biggest Manning homer there is but I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.

There is no universe where Manning is the better QB than Brady. Just isn't.

You can look at stats and the all important "eye test" and Brady still comes out on top. Brady is synonymous with clutch, Manning known for 1-and-done in the playoffs.

I'll put Manning higher than most (Top 5 for sure) but he isn't eclipsing Brady (this coming from a Brady hater)
 
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,737 posts, read 11,587,465 times
Reputation: 12484
I like Manning, but really Tom Brady is the GOAT, Aaron Rodgers said in an interview recently (ProAm Golf Tournament), Tom is the GOAT, works for me.

Ryan had a great year, but he hasn't achieved year after year success other QBs have and for my list Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are ahead of him.
 
Old 02-23-2017, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,577 posts, read 7,314,543 times
Reputation: 37488
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
I laugh at people who make the empty headed argument of a QB being the GOAT because he has 5 SB rings. Seeing otherwise intelligent people resort to such elementary level arguments makes me chuckle. He is definitely top 5, but not the GOAT that title belongs to Manning. Nonetheless, due to his work ethic and drive, along with his supporting cast, I have no doubt that'll he'll STILL be able to play at a high level for the next 3-5 years.

And please, as a Falcons fan, do not compare Ryan to Rodgers. Ryan was better THIS YEAR, but Rodgers is an all time great.
I laugh at people who make the empty headed argument that anyone thinks Tom Brady is the GOAT mere because of the five rings.

It's because of the winning every single year.
It's because of the unbelievable postseason winning percentage at every level - first round, conference championships, Super Bowls.
It's because of the ability to win without ever having a great back and only having a world-class receiver for a brief three-year window (Moss, 2007-2009).
And, yes, the five rings are part of the equation.

But nobody simply counts rings.

Nobody thinks Trent Dilfer or Jim McMahon or Mark Rypien (1 ring each) are greater than Dan Marino or Fran Tarkenton or Jim Kelly (no rings among them). Nobody thinks Eli Manning or Jim Plunkett (2 rings each) are greater than Aaron Rodgers or Kurt Warner (1 ring each) or the equals of John Elway (2 rings). Nobody thinks Troy Aikman (3 rings) is greater than Peyton Manning (2 rings).

So you can stop flailing away at that strawman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top