U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,359,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Patriots play in the free agent era. 49ers got to keep all their good players for their run. Big difference.
That argument is debunked by teams being able to acquire top tier players in free agency to add immediate impact to a teams performance. By limiting the amount of quality players on a roster due to salary cap (defensively)and changing the rules on defense to allow the passing game to thrive it has made a competent QB thrive in this era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,520,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
That argument is debunked by teams being able to acquire top tier players in free agency to add immediate impact to a teams performance. By limiting the amount of quality players on a roster due to salary cap (defensively)and changing the rules on defense to allow the passing game to thrive it has made a competent QB thrive in this era.
I would have been with you before last night's Super Bowl. But that comeback convinced me he is GOAT.

2 drives with touchdowns and (2) two-point conversions. And another drive in OT (I said to myself if Patriots win the coin toss it's game over. Atlanta won't be getting the ball)

No doubt.

Also take out Montana and Brady and compare the rosters. It's apples and oranges.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,359,346 times
Quote:
I would have been with you before last night's Super Bowl. But that comeback convinced me he is GOAT.

2 drives with touchdowns and (2) two-point conversions. And another drive in OT (I said to myself if Patriots win the coin toss it's game over. Atlanta won't be getting the ball)

No doubt.

Also take out Montana and Brady and compare the rosters. It's apples and oranges.
Atlanta's defense was a average defense all year, an average defense that gets gassed becomes a bad defense. Brady did what he needed to do to win so no taking that away from him, as for apples to oranges as far as Montana and Brady's roster I don't know what you are talking about?

Old 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,136 times
Quote:
I've learned to respect these two men. I hate them but still have to recognize their greatness.

It's a system and a great one at that. They find pieces and players to fill their schemes. No divas on the team. It's a tight run ship and they run it very well.
I agree. I hate them too but I respect what they have done and can take nothing away from them. They will both be in the Hall Of Fame

I shoot Nikon too. My Son shoots Canon. Both have their advantages. Billichecks advantage on the field is that he is a total football genius.
Not sure if he can work a camera, as in past he has assigned that duty to one of his assistants, but if he did, he would probably figure out a way to do that well too.

As far as Super Bowl Play, the Patriots OLine got beat up on the right side. Number 61 looked out to lunch the whole time, getting beat and dominated every pay by members of the Falcons Defense. Brady got knocked around, but did not get flustered, remained patient, and waited for his chance to do something that worked. Took some half time adjusting, but they pulled it together.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM

3,813 posts, read 1,008,172 times
Well...this post season in particular, two of his go-to receivers (Hogan and Amendola) were NEVER drafted, and Edelman was drafted in the 7th round...furthermore, his greatest weapon/asset (Gronk) was out the entire post season...what does Tom do?

Tom is, in my opinion, underrated in some ways because he's so stationary but that boy just flat gets it done.

Winningest SB QB ever. Most SB MVPs ever. This season/post season done with two of his receivers never having been drafted and another going in the 7th round.

Hogan: undrafted
Amendola: undrafted
Edelman: drafted 7th round
Gronk: out injured entire 2017 post season

Brady still set the SB RECORD for passing yards...with scrubs!

He is simply the greatest ever.

Last edited by Kavalier; 02-06-2017 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 05:16 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,039,976 times
Great stat I heard on Sirius NFL Radio on way home today

In last 2 Superbowls for New England, 49 and 51, both with double digit comebacks in the 4th quarter

Tom Brady's combined stats in those 2 fourth quarters on the biggest stage, in the biggest games with no room for error...

34-42 passing for 340 yards and 3 TD's.....just ridiculous output in 2 quarters of the most pressure packed football possible

He is the GOAT and it is not debatable

Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 PM

4,206 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Quote:
I don't think it matters to Belichick or the Patriots. They purposely dumped players who were on the downside of their careers and never really went for big free agents.

Their free agents were supposedly unwanted guys other teams just didn't know how to utilize: Welker, Amendola, Hogan, etc.

They find the diamonds in the rough, not big names. Of course they have had big acquisitions in the past (Corey Dillon, Moss, Adalius Thomas) but overall they get pieces that fit their scheme.

The one constant has been Brady at QB. In 10 years most people won't even be able to name the WR for the Patriots in SB LI just like most can't name the WR's from their first 3 championships (without using Google or being die hard Patriots fan)
I remember Deion Branch quite well, but probably because that was the era I grew up. There was a 2-3 year stretch where he flirted around as a borderline Top 10 wideout. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember David Givens too. Other than that, yeah, you got me!

I probably only remember these guys because I grew up during that era!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 PM

3,575 posts, read 1,771,607 times
Greatest of all Time is always disputable. I'll just say that Brady and Belichik are as good as any that have played or coached the game.

Hard to imagine New England without them.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 PM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Greatest of all Time is always disputable. I'll just say that Brady and Belichik are as good as any that have played or coached the game.

Hard to imagine New England without them.
I certainly don't think it's disputable. Not even close at this point.

This greatness goes beyond all of the record accomplishments Brady & Belichick have accumulated individually and the team as a whole over the past 16 years. It's truly mind boggling to think one QB & coach tandem have reached 7 Super Bowls and 11 AFC Championships in Brady's 15 years of playing, and if he didn't lose a season he'd probably have 10+ more wins.

To see a coach and QB show such a mutual respect for each other, and the respect of the game and each of their roles, it makes all of the other players around them better. This year Hogan kills it in the AFC Championship, the White kills it in the Super Bowl. Moss, a future HOF later in his career has his best year ever under Brady. Welker, Edelman, others, some would say have all over achieved. The entire team wants to play their best under Brady because he oozes perfection. And at the end of the day, the ultimate in the NFL isn't to just become an NFL player, but to win the Super Bowl. I'd say 5-2 in one career cements any question.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 PM

2,532 posts, read 4,955,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Yes and NO, two coaches that refuse to run cost put 2 titles in their hands.
The Pats scoring 31 unanswered points on the Falcons was not due to the coaches decision not to run. You can't blame the Pats for the other coach's poor decision. He got out-coached by Belichick.

The Pats lost two close Super Bowls; one on a miracle one handed catch by David Tyree against his helmet (the last catch the guy made in the NFL) and the other on a dropped pass by Wes Welker. It could have been 7 Super Bowls as easily as it could have been 3... That's football...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or