U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM

6,493 posts, read 3,482,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I would hold back that Kraft and even the Patriots as a franchise are the best ever. You have to look at the big picture. Before Brady/Belichick came along they were pretty much an average to below average franchise with 2 Super Bowl losses. It's been a great 16 (and ongoing) run but the NFL has been around a lot longer than that.

And Kraft is just an owner that let's his GM's manage and coach's coach. Basically a non-meddling owner. Kudos to him but he has no place in this conversation.
It's perception I guess. What makes a good owner? Hiring the right people and not meddling, like Jerry Jones who IMO has prevented the Cowboys from achieving more than they have (and he got into the HOF which I find crazy).

In the history of the NFL, if the end result is about winning (and it is), the Patriots franchise has been to the most Super Bowls in the the history of the NFL. The Steelers are 6-2 all time, Pats 5-4, Cowboys 5-3, 49ers 5-1, which would put these four teams in that "greatest" franchise era. We can debate which era was more difficult to achieve such success. I think the Pats 5-2 run under Belichick/Brady in the era of free agency makes the task more difficult. But as a Pats fan of course I'll lean that way.

Hey, it's about being a fan. I'll count my lucky starts for the era of the Pats putting this team in all these conversations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,554,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
It's perception I guess. What makes a good owner? Hiring the right people and not meddling, like Jerry Jones who IMO has prevented the Cowboys from achieving more than they have (and he got into the HOF which I find crazy).

In the history of the NFL, if the end result is about winning (and it is), the Patriots franchise has been to the most Super Bowls in the the history of the NFL. The Steelers are 6-2 all time, Pats 5-4, Cowboys 5-3, 49ers 5-1, which would put these four teams in that "greatest" franchise era. We can debate which era was more difficult to achieve such success. I think the Pats 5-2 run under Belichick/Brady in the era of free agency makes the task more difficult. But as a Pats fan of course I'll lean that way.

Hey, it's about being a fan. I'll count my lucky starts for the era of the Pats putting this team in all these conversations.
I would put Steelers above Patriots just because they did it in two separate eras. And they got two of those rings when playing in an era with Brady/Belichick.

And Kraft made one hire, Belichick. I think this speaks more to Belichick than anyone else. It's not like Belichick was a hot commodity. He took a flyer on him and it worked. Frankly, you can't rank owners of NFL teams.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I would put Steelers above Patriots just because they did it in two separate eras. And they got two of those rings when playing in an era with Brady/Belichick.

And Kraft made one hire, Belichick. I think this speaks more to Belichick than anyone else. It's not like Belichick was a hot commodity. He took a flyer on him and it worked. Frankly, you can't rank owners of NFL teams.
You're probably right. But if Jerry Jones gets into the HOF, it's for a reason. Owners are judged by their contributions to the NFL, and I suppose those remembered most have made the biggest splash in the industry. And yes that one hire speaks volumes to Belichick's greatness.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. But if Jerry Jones gets into the HOF, it's for a reason. Owners are judged by their contributions to the NFL, and I suppose those remembered most have made the biggest splash in the industry. And yes that one hire speaks volumes to Belichick's greatness.
Yep, Jerry didn't get in for her personnel decisions. He helped grow the league financially by leaps and bounds. All these new fancy stadiums are following after Jerry World.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,297,462 times
Quote:

He also hired Parcells, which started to turn the franchise around and brought them to a super bowl. So two significant hires.

And it was more than a "flyer". Kraft had to trade for Belichick, and he traded quite a bit.

And yes, owners can be ranked.

So, a big negative to this post.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:13 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,893,919 times
Quote:

The only reason the Cowboys won anything under the ownership of Jerry Jones is because of Jimmy Johnson. He built that team in the early 90s and once his relationship with Jones deteriorated over Jones wanting more say in personnel decisions the team has not been the same. When they beat Pittsburgh in 1995 all of the key pieces were brought in by Johnson. In the 21 years since that title the Cowboys have won very little - they have won a whopping 3 playoff wins to their name.

Anyways I think the Patriots have cemented themselves as one of the 5 best franchises in NFL history. They've played in a Super Bowl in 4 straight decades and have gone on a run that only the 49ers can come close to matching.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,304,326 times
Quote:
I've watched SBLI 3 times already.
metalmancpa, August 2017:
"OK, guys, I just watched Super Bowl LI for the 73rd time last night, and... "

Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
metalmancpa, August 2017:
"OK, guys, I just watched Super Bowl LI for the 73rd time last night, and... "

Nah....but I don't think 10 times is out of the question

Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM

Atlanta fans just watch until the fourth quarter

Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 7 days ago)

1,254 posts, read 590,833 times
Quote:
Atlanta fans just watch until the fourth quarter
Pretty much, well I watched until the 4:30 mark in the fourth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or