U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM
 
636 posts, read 279,678 times
Reputation: 714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
But the visiting team didn't get a chance if the Homers score
Yes, they did
In a 9 inning game both teams get 27 outs with which to score.
In a 10 inning game both teams get 30 outs with which to score.


Football, of course, is different; defenses can score, possessions are different than outs or innings, etc
For the regular season, the current rules are probably fine

For the Super Bowl, I can't imagine there are too many people outside of Patriots fans who would have minded a few more minutes of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Yes, they did
In a 9 inning game both teams get 27 outs with which to score.
In a 10 inning game both teams get 30 outs with which to score.


Football, of course, is different; defenses can score, possessions are different than outs or innings, etc
For the regular season, the current rules are probably fine

For the Super Bowl, I can't imagine there are too many people outside of Patriots fans who would have minded a few more minutes of the game.
Every body who grew up with sudden death and then started watching college football go to a baseball innings type system thinking WTF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
Reputation: 9413
Only thing I would change is all the other team a possession even if the first score is a touchdown in playoff games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,415 posts, read 17,378,768 times
Reputation: 14073
I'm not sure if everyone in this thread realizes that the defense can score a safety, winning the game, even in the offense's first possession. This could be simply an offensive hold in their own end zone. Or how about if the kickoff returner muffs the catch at the 10-yard line and turns the ball over before his offense ever takes possession. In that case, the kicking team can kick a field goal on the next play and end the game.

Or, going the other way, Denver was the first team to win in overtime under the modified rules when Tim Tebow (yes, Tebow!) hit Demaryius Thomas on a slant pattern for an 80-yard TD on the first play of overtime against Pittsburgh in the 2011-2012 season. That overtime lasted about 10 seconds. Talk about fans wanting a second chance!

Many observers have pointed out the symbolism of Tebow's 316 passing yards in comparison to the Biblical passage of John 3:16. Tebow – known for his strong religious beliefs – had the number in black under his eyes when he led the Florida Gators in winning the 2009 BCS National Championship Game, which was played exactly three years to the day before this playoff game. Additionally, he set a playoff record by averaging 31.6 yards per completion. The only interception of the game was thrown by Roethlisberger on third down and 16. The Nielsen ratings for the game also peaked at 31.6.[9][10] Pittsburgh's time of possession was 31:06.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011&#...rs_23_.28OT.29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,540 posts, read 22,402,943 times
Reputation: 13845
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
When the Super Bowl ended regulation in a tie, I figured the best was yet to come. When the Patriots won the flip of a coin at the beginning of overtime, I did not realize that they had just acquired a huge advantage. I was not listening to the game, just watching the plays. I missed the mention that if the Patriots should score a touchdown, the game was over. The Falcons would not be afforded the same opportunity simply because they lost the coin flip. When the touchdown was scored by the Patriots, it took me a good 30 seconds or so to realize that the Patriots were not just celebrating a touchdown. They were celebrating a victory.

I didn't care who won, I was just dumbstruck that the overtime was set up to give such a monumental advantage in such an important game, to the winner of a coin flip.
The Falcons won the flip to start the game and elected to defer. They should have taken the ball and scored 7 more points in regulation to avoid the need for overtime.

Overtime rules are just fine. They are an improvement to sudden death.

If the Falcons would have played defense and held the Patriots to a field goal, they would have had their chance.

Had the Falcons run the ball a bit late in the 3rd and in the 4th, they'd have won.

The Patriots got hot and the Falcons couldn't stop them.

The right team won.

The NFL overtime rules are just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM
 
3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
Reputation: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'm not sure if everyone in this thread realizes that the defense can score a safety, winning the game, even in the offense's first possession. This could be simply an offensive hold in their own end zone. Or how about if the kickoff returner muffs the catch at the 10-yard line and turns the ball over before his offense ever takes possession. In that case, the kicking team can kick a field goal on the next play and end the game.

Or, going the other way, Denver was the first team to win in overtime under the modified rules when Tim Tebow (yes, Tebow!) hit Demaryius Thomas on a slant pattern for an 80-yard TD on the first play of overtime against Pittsburgh in the 2011-2012 season. That overtime lasted about 10 seconds. Talk about fans wanting a second chance!

Many observers have pointed out the symbolism of Tebow's 316 passing yards in comparison to the Biblical passage of John 3:16. Tebow known for his strong religious beliefs had the number in black under his eyes when he led the Florida Gators in winning the 2009 BCS National Championship Game, which was played exactly three years to the day before this playoff game. Additionally, he set a playoff record by averaging 31.6 yards per completion. The only interception of the game was thrown by Roethlisberger on third down and 16. The Nielsen ratings for the game also peaked at 31.6.[9][10] Pittsburgh's time of possession was 31:06.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20111...rs_23_.28OT.29
Yep - remember the Seattle - Green Bay playoff game (was it 2006?) when Charles Woodson picked off Matt Hasselbeck and returned it for a TD in overtime to win? That's the difference between football and baseball. In baseball, when you team is in the field your team cannot score any runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,322 posts, read 2,256,162 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Yep - remember the Seattle - Green Bay playoff game (was it 2006?) when Charles Woodson picked off Matt Hasselbeck and returned it for a TD in overtime to win? That's the difference between football and baseball. In baseball, when you team is in the field your team cannot score any runs.
Tam, that was Al Harris in the 2003 season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM
 
3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
Reputation: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Tam, that was Al Harris in the 2003 season.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 PM
 
Location: The State Line
2,275 posts, read 3,168,522 times
Reputation: 2603
I see, sour Grapes are on Special this week... .

If the outcome was reversed, there wouldn't be a rebuttal. The losing team would have to deal and go home.

You already have 60 minutes of gameplay. You have up to 15 minutes of overtime, which you may not even needed: it's essentially borrowed time. Why extend an already complete game any longer than it needs to be? It diminishes the initial purpose of the game. Contrary to what some might think, there is a line between keeping suspense and losing interest: there comes a point in which people are anxious for a conclusion. Think about it. If a team knows they'll get a chance to score afterward regardless, you could easily spend that extra 15 minutes with no resolution (game still tied). As someone mentioned, players get tired. The people eventually will get tired. Sudden death is an incentive to get things going productively. Players will want to wrap things up so they can celebrate and hit the showers sooner than later. People like suspense, but not indefinitely.

Think of the regular gametime as a 'deadline'. You're fortunate if you get an extension; even then, it behooves you to finish sooner rather than later.

This is also one reason why a sport such as Baseball has fewer followers than Football. Giving both sides a chance each inning is the aim of the game. However, not everyone will wait patiently through nine (or more) innings, with no fixed end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 07:18 PM
 
636 posts, read 279,678 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I see, sour Grapes are on Special this week... .

If the outcome was reversed, there wouldn't be a rebuttal. The losing team would have to deal and go home.
I don't think you're correct.
I have no real skin in the game, I was slightly pulling for the Patriots.

Quote:
You already have 60 minutes of gameplay. You have up to 15 minutes of overtime, which you may not even needed: it's essentially borrowed time. Why extend an already complete game any longer than it needs to be? It diminishes the initial purpose of the game. Contrary to what some might think, there is a line between keeping suspense and losing interest: there comes a point in which people are anxious for a conclusion. Think about it. If a team knows they'll get a chance to score afterward regardless, you could easily spend that extra 15 minutes with no resolution (game still tied). As someone mentioned, players get tired. The people eventually will get tired. Sudden death is an incentive to get things going productively. Players will want to wrap things up so they can celebrate and hit the showers sooner than later. People like suspense, but not indefinitely.
For the regular season, sure
For the Super Bowl?


Quote:
This is also one reason why a sport such as Baseball has fewer followers than Football. Giving both sides a chance each inning is the aim of the game. However, not everyone will wait patiently through nine (or more) innings, with no fixed end in sight.
It'd need to be proven to me that the length of baseball games is significantly more variable than that of football games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top