Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I know the rules can be changed. But "all" Atlanta had to do was prevent a TD.
Right and as some one said that the first team to score, that is not accurate.

As far as college their over time rules are too less professional. You start in field goal range before you snap the ball. I'd like to see them change those child like rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 04:39 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
I could have sworn that Atlanta's defense scored 6 points? If a game comes down to a coin toss, which it didn't after all the Patriots stopped the Falcons when necessary then you have a point.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:50 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
When the Super Bowl ended regulation in a tie, I figured the best was yet to come. When the Patriots won the flip of a coin at the beginning of overtime, I did not realize that they had just acquired a huge advantage. I was not listening to the game, just watching the plays. I missed the mention that if the Patriots should score a touchdown, the game was over. The Falcons would not be afforded the same opportunity simply because they lost the coin flip. When the touchdown was scored by the Patriots, it took me a good 30 seconds or so to realize that the Patriots were not just celebrating a touchdown. They were celebrating a victory.

I didn't care who won, I was just dumbstruck that the overtime was set up to give such a monumental advantage in such an important game, to the winner of a coin flip.
So it sounds like you have never watched an NFL game before the Super Bowl last evening?

The overtime rule is not some "new fangled" invention that just came out for last nights game, same way EVERY NFL game is treated although last night would have kept going until someone won...

Fortunately it only had to go one drive so the right team could win

Old 02-06-2017, 04:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
When the Super Bowl ended regulation in a tie, I figured the best was yet to come. When the Patriots won the flip of a coin at the beginning of overtime, I did not realize that they had just acquired a huge advantage. I was not listening to the game, just watching the plays. I missed the mention that if the Patriots should score a touchdown, the game was over. The Falcons would not be afforded the same opportunity simply because they lost the coin flip. When the touchdown was scored by the Patriots, it took me a good 30 seconds or so to realize that the Patriots were not just celebrating a touchdown. They were celebrating a victory.

I didn't care who won, I was just dumbstruck that the overtime was set up to give such a monumental advantage in such an important game, to the winner of a coin flip.
You know what's an even bigger advantage?

HAVING A 25-POINT LEAD IN THE THIRD QUARTER!

Just sayin'...

Anyway, the Falcons were permitted to play defense in OT, you know. They were allowed to try and defend passes. They were allowed to try and intercept passes. They were allowed to try and strip the ball and recover the subsequent fumble.

They failed. That's why they lost.

And there's no particular reason to assume that the Falcons offense - which went punt-fumble-punt-punt in the four drives preceding the extra period - would have done anything had they won the toss.

Quote:
In hockey overtime shootout, if the first shooter scores, the game does not end. The other team gets the same opportunity.
You're apparently as unfamiliar with hockey as you are with football.

In the NHL postseason there is no shootout. The teams simply play until someone scores, and the game is then over.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:24 PM

812 posts, read 736,367 times
If only there were eleven guys on the field being paid to stop the Patriots offense.....oh wait.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,293 times
It's actually not clear that first team has the advantage. Sure its an advantage if the score a TD. They win.

But what about the other possibilities?
1. First team scores a FG. Now the second team knows they need a FG and they will use four downs to get it. Could the first team afford to use four downs? No. So the second team basically gets an extra down to try for a tying FG and in the process they might end up with a TD too. That's a huge advantage.
2. First team goes 3 an out. The second team probably ends up with much better field position than the first team had, making a game-winning FG easier.
3. First team turns it over in their own territory.

So who has the advantage depends on how these balance out.

Last edited by Thy Kingdom Come; 02-06-2017 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
It's an advantage, but not a huge one. Until a few years ago, the first team to score *anything* in the overtime won. They changed it so the first team to get the ball had to score a TD for it to be sudden death.

If the first team to get the ball doesn't score, their opponents can end the game with a FG. It's not a huge advantage anymore, like it used to be.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:32 AM

16,272 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Atlanta had not scored a point since 6 minutes into the second half, even after recovering an onsides kick. To assume they would have marched into the end zone had they won the coin toss is nuts.

The college rule sucks IMO, it turns a sport into a pinball game of scoring. Defense and special teams are part of football too, Atlanta simply could not stop them so they deserved to lose.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times
The point I made in the o.p. and in every post since is that a coin flip gave one team an advantage. You either get that or you don't. Imagine if it were basketball. One team received possession of the ball based on a coin flip. They score, they win. Yes the other team can play defense and have the opportunity to stop them and then they would have the chance to win, but is that really a good argument? It's the same thing we saw in the Super Bowl.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It's an advantage, but not a huge one. Until a few years ago, the first team to score *anything* in the overtime won. They changed it so the first team to get the ball had to score a TD for it to be sudden death.

If the first team to get the ball doesn't score, their opponents can end the game with a FG. It's not a huge advantage anymore, like it used to be.

Yes, the new rule is a lot better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football