U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:06 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,494,902 times

Advertisements

When the Super Bowl ended regulation in a tie, I figured the best was yet to come. When the Patriots won the flip of a coin at the beginning of overtime, I did not realize that they had just acquired a huge advantage. I was not listening to the game, just watching the plays. I missed the mention that if the Patriots should score a touchdown, the game was over. The Falcons would not be afforded the same opportunity simply because they lost the coin flip. When the touchdown was scored by the Patriots, it took me a good 30 seconds or so to realize that the Patriots were not just celebrating a touchdown. They were celebrating a victory.

I didn't care who won, I was just dumbstruck that the overtime was set up to give such a monumental advantage in such an important game, to the winner of a coin flip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 AM

21,322 posts, read 21,895,576 times
seems more unfair that Brady always plays on New England

Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
When the Super Bowl ended regulation in a tie, I figured the best was yet to come. When the Patriots won the flip of a coin at the beginning of overtime, I did not realize that they had just acquired a huge advantage. I was not listening to the game, just watching the plays. I missed the mention that if the Patriots should score a touchdown, the game was over. The Falcons would not be afforded the same opportunity simply because they lost the coin flip. When the touchdown was scored by the Patriots, it took me a good 30 seconds or so to realize that the Patriots were not just celebrating a touchdown. They were celebrating a victory.

I didn't care who won, I was just dumbstruck that the overtime was set up to give such a monumental advantage in such an important game, to the winner of a coin flip.
If there's a better way to begin OT, the NFL would appreciate hearing about it. The coin flip merely decides which team gets the ball first -- not WHO wins the game.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times
Quote:

You must not watch much football... this has always been the case in the NFL... as it such should be. Falcons defense needed to do its job.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,659,431 times
Quote:

I think the coin flip is a huge advantage to the team that gets it too... But then again, the Falcons had 60 minutes to put the Patriots away and didn't, so I guess they really only have themselves - and a better opponent to blame.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM

22,879 posts, read 19,308,025 times
Quote:

You must not watch hockey either. Another name for OT is SUDDEN DEATH. It has always been the first team to score wins the game.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,016,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You must not watch hockey either. Another name for OT is SUDDEN DEATH. It has always been the first team to score wins the game.
What??? Hockey is ping pong, both teams are bound to touch the puck within any OT period. I have never seen a OT game where the puck is not on both ends.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times
Always a great deal of discussion about the OT rules and they did change it so a FG wouldn't end the game unless both teams had a possession, but if a team gets a TD, game over. As stated, up to the defense to make a stop.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,016,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Always a great deal of discussion about the OT rules and they did change it so a FG wouldn't end the game unless both teams had a possession, but if a team gets a TD, game over. As stated, up to the defense to make a stop.

College Football got it right, the NFL did not.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM

22,879 posts, read 19,308,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
What??? Hockey is ping pong, both teams are bound to touch the puck within any OT period. I have never seen a OT game where the puck is not on both ends.
That's not the point. The point being the first to score wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or