Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,079,128 times

Advertisements

So the following teams have never been to the Super Bowl
Jaguars
Texans
Browns
Lions

The Following have been one or more times, but never won
Vikings
Panthers
Falcons
Eagles
Cardinals (AKA Pesky Red Birds)
Buffaloes
Chargers
Bengals
Titans

The Following are ONE HIT WONDERS
Been once and won but never went back
Jets
Buccaneers
Saints

Of the One Hit Wonders, the JETS seem to be a somehow cursed organization, I think they can be one and done for the next 50 years. The Current Buccaneer management will not get them there anytime soon. The Saints, well, they know how to win, but may not have all the tools at the same time neccesary to win for a while.

SO to the ones who have never even been, the Lions are probably the fastest building team, but being that the list includes the Browns, who will probably be sitting on a lot of first round picks the next couple of years, consider them 5 to 10 years down the road. IF they do everything right.

Of the middle list, the Vikings had it going but The Water under the Bridge ran out, and as for the Buffaloes, you could switch them with the green team that plays in New Jersey and doubt the results would be much different. Panthers, Falcons and Cardinals have the management and direction to move forward, and while no one repeats, those are currently the three most bet worthy teams.

BUT I would not bet on any of them tight now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 12:32 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,734,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The Vikings stated they believed Favre would win them a Super Bowl.
This isn't horse shoes where " getting close" to even playing in the Super Bowl counts.
Well, what team, that's close and signs an aging legend like Favre, would tell their fans otherwise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I attended a game at Met Stadium their very first year (over 50 years ago ) and doubt they will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime.
Was it on a very cold winter day in the ice and snow? If not, it doesn't count!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Of the One Hit Wonders, the JETS seem to be a somehow cursed organization, I think they can be one and done for the next 50 years.
Officially the longest Super Bowl drout, went and won in Super Bowl III, and have never been back. I wonder if they'll return in Joe Willie's lifetime? Doesn't appear likely. He is 73.

Right behind them are the KC Chiefs. Won Super Bowl IV and haven't been back since. Will they return in Lenny's lifetime? That appears more likely. And he is 81.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Well, what team, that's close and signs an aging legend like Favre, would tell their fans otherwise?

Was it on a very cold winter day in the ice and snow? If not, it doesn't count! Officially the longest Super Bowl drout, went and won in Super Bowl III, and have never been back. I wonder if they'll return in Joe Willie's lifetime? Doesn't appear likely. He is 73.

Right behind them are the KC Chiefs. Won Super Bowl IV and haven't been back since. Will they return in Lenny's lifetime? That appears more likely. And he is 81.
Lol I'd say the Chiefs are the ones cursed. That franchise is allergic to sustained success. They've had several quick bursts of success in the last 47 years and fall flat in the postseason every.single.time. I would not bank on Andy Reid being the guy to guide them back to the Super Bowl. The guy's best playoff days "seem" to be behind him--he's won one playoff game since his last NFC Championship Game in 2008. 1-5 since then. The Chiefs are cursed!

The Texans are a B-level quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender. Should they land one, or one if their guys develops into one, I got my money on them...

Both the Panthers and Falcons are intriguing amongst teams that are winless in appearances (both 0-2). The Panthers won't win until they have a balanced offense, they rely too heavily on the QB and an aging running game...the Falcons have to strengthen that defense but being the most recent SB runner-up, probably have the best odds...

One hit wonders--I am a Winston believer in his championship pedigree and ability to continue to mature in the pro game. That team is coming together nicely and they just might be the next NFC representative....

Old 02-11-2017, 03:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Both the Panthers and Falcons are intriguing amongst teams that are winless in appearances (both 0-2). The Panthers won't win until they have a balanced offense, they rely too heavily on the QB and an aging running game...the Falcons have to strengthen that defense but being the most recent SB runner-up, probably have the best odds...
Fun fact: the Panthers and Falcons both being 0-2 is one thing, but they're both 0-2 to the same pair of teams: the Broncos and Patriots.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Fun fact: the Panthers and Falcons both being 0-2 is one thing, but they're both 0-2 to the same pair of teams: the Broncos and Patriots.
Wow, I'm surprised I didn't catch that earlier!

The Falcons had the worst Super Bowl loss of all time last Sunday and we're never really in SB 33, so they seem more "cursed" than Carolina (while we're on the topic of curses). Carolina played one of the better Super Bowls in their loss to New England, and while they got demolished last year, a physically tougher offense could have made that a better game!

Here's an interesting question: who would you consider the GOAT franchise in the NFC South? Panthers and Falcons have been to SB multiple times but are winless, Bucs and Saints are one-hit wonders. Carolina 2013-2015 is the only team to win consecutive titles in that division...

Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting question: who would you consider the GOAT franchise in the NFC South? Panthers and Falcons have been to SB multiple times but are winless, Bucs and Saints are one-hit wonders. Carolina 2013-2015 is the only team to win consecutive titles in that division...
I've wondered the same thing off and on. The NFC South is the only division that doesn't have a truly GREAT franchise. Literally every other division has that:

AFC West: Raiders, Broncos
NFC West: 49ers
AFC North: Steelers
NFC North: Packers
AFC East: Dolphins, Patriots
NFC East: Redskins, Cowboys, Giants
AFC South: Colts
NFC South: ???

Which of the Saints or Bucs deserves to be mentioned and discussed with any degree of seriousness among these listed teams? Really neither do, but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick I'd be inclined to go with the Saints.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:13 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,734,507 times
Quote:
I vote Buccaneers. One SB and a long history and tradition of great defense.

Quote:
I've wondered the same thing off and on. The NFC South is the only division that doesn't have a truly GREAT franchise. Literally every other division has that:

AFC West: Raiders, Broncos
NFC West: 49ers
AFC North: Steelers
NFC North: Packers
AFC East: Dolphins, Patriots
NFC East: Redskins, Cowboys, Giants
AFC South: Colts
NFC South: ???

Which of the Saints or Bucs deserves to be mentioned and discussed with any degree of seriousness among these listed teams? Really neither do, but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick I'd be inclined to go with the Saints.
Well you've (both of you) gotta be talking only post division realignment, right? 2002 and after? Or are you really talking all time? If all time then there's been greatness with the Browns, Chiefs, and Bears too. If only post realignment then four teams do not belong in iknowftbll's list: Raiders, 49ers, Dolphins, Redskins. It seems like we're conflating the two time spans.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons...
...are the biggest choke in Super Bowl history.

Quote:
Cincinnati Bengals: 0-2. The Bengals had a pair of Super Bowl appearances, both losses to the 49ers, in the 1980s.
A total of 3 points separates winners and losers in those two games, probably the best games in Super Bowl history.

Quote:
Before they can talk about adding a third Super Bowl appearance they need to get a playoff win! Under Marvin Lewis the Bengals are 0-7 in the playoffs, including 5 straight seasons of reaching the playoffs and going one-n-done. In that division, ruled with a rod of iron by the Steelers and to a lesser extent the Ravens, I don't expect the Bengals to be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl anytime soon.
It all depends on how much money Mike Brown is willing to spend to put together a decent team.

Apparently, he's just not willing to spend the money.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:02 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Cincinnati Bengals: 0-2. The Bengals had a pair of Super Bowl appearances, both losses to the 49ers, in the 1980s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A total of 3 points separates winners and losers in those two games, probably the best games in Super Bowl history.
Please...

First, it was a total of 9 points (5 the first time, 4 the second time).

Second, the rematch was indeed very good. Best ever? No. Top five? Quite possibly. But the first match-up was a yawner. After falling behind 20-0 in the second quarter, the Bengals never possessed the ball with a chance to take the lead or even tie the game. Though they did pull within 6 points in the 4th quarter, the 49ers immediately drove for a field goal, making it a 9-point game. By the time the Bengals added another touchdown (by then the 49ers had kicked yet another field goal) there were just a few seconds left on the clock and the 49ers got the onside kick and just ran out the clock.

Aside from 49ers-Bengals II, the only non-dud Super Bowl in the 1980s was Redskins-Dolphins II (which was decent, but nowhere near as good as the Montana-to-Taylor classic).

Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Well you've (both of you) gotta be talking only post division realignment, right? 2002 and after? Or are you really talking all time? If all time then there's been greatness with the Browns, Chiefs, and Bears too. If only post realignment then four teams do not belong in iknowftbll's list: Raiders, 49ers, Dolphins, Redskins. It seems like we're conflating the two time spans.
I'm basically taking the current alignment and applying to the Super Bowl era. I realize that's a bit unfair since the current alignment has only been around since 2002, but then again some teams didn't even come into existence until well after the start of the Super Bowl. Making comparisons across generations of the game is a hard thing to do with any degree of consistency. There are plenty of decent ways to do it though. My method, which I came up with on the fly while making tacos for dinner tonight, is more a point about the current alignment (and specifically the quality of the NFC South in that alignment) than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football