U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,478,335 times

Advertisements

This was a great read. If I had to pick one of these teams, I would pick the Panthers. I think they are due. Just had a bad season.

The bills, Vikings, eagles, cardinals, Bengals, Falcons, chargers, lions, and browns are all worlds away from competing at that level. Titans, Texans, and jaguars could conceivably get there the next few years with luck and the right strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:54 AM

19,991 posts, read 19,028,653 times
I will start with four teams the original poster mentioned: the Arizona Cardinals, the Atlanta Falcons, the Carolina Panthers, and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Arizona Cardinals: Carson Palmer's career is nearing or is at the end. Larry Fitzgerald may want to move on to a postseason participant. The Cardinals should be undergoing a rebuild and should be ready for Palmer's replacement.

Cincinnati Bengals: The 2017 season will be make or break for head coach Marvin Lewis. Anything up to and including a quick postseason exit will conclude Lewis' tenure with the Bengals. The Bengals have to contend with the Steelers and the Ravens for the AFC North championship.

Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons surprised many with their run to Super Bowl LI. Will they be able to build upon the 2016 season, or will they revert back to mediocrity?

Carolina Panthers: The Panthers struggled with a "no defense" defense and Cam Newton focusing on his fashion shows over sending the ball into the end zone. The defense has vastly improved with Sean McDermott being hired as the Buffalo Bills' head coach and Steve Wilks becoming defensive coordinator. Newton will need to rise up or get out.

As I mentioned the Bills, I do not see them trending upward anytime soon unless McDermott gets his act together. A "no defense defense" will lose games quickly. Rob Ryan is an example.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,869,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Detroit Lions: 0-0. The Lions round off the list of those teams that not only haven't won a Super Bowl, but haven't reached it yet. This is a team that hasn't won a post season game since the 1950s and even with a bevy of talented players cycling through the past few years doesn't seem to be able to consistently put winning seasons together. If you're looking for a candidate to win its first SB in the next few years, you may want to turn back at this point.

As a diehard Lions' fan, I agree with everything you stated. Except......

1991 season:

Lions won the division and had a first round bye. Spanked the Cowboys in the divisional round and in turn, got spanked by the Redskins in the NFC Championship.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 AM

10,717 posts, read 11,129,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
As a diehard Lions' fan, I agree with everything you stated. Except......

1991 season:

Lions won the division and had a first round bye. Spanked the Cowboys in the divisional round and in turn, got spanked by the Redskins in the NFC Championship.

Thanks. I actually remember that game, just got a bit in a hurry when putting together the first post.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:48 PM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,869,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Thanks. I actually remember that game, just got a bit in a hurry when putting together the first post.

I only remembered 'cuz I traveled to RFK to watch my Lions stink up the joint.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 5 days ago)

1,246 posts, read 589,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
This was a great read. If I had to pick one of these teams, I would pick the Panthers. I think they are due. Just had a bad season.

The bills, Vikings, eagles, cardinals, Bengals, Falcons, chargers, lions, and browns are all worlds away from competing at that level. Titans, Texans, and jaguars could conceivably get there the next few years with luck and the right strategy.
The Falcons "are worlds away" and in the same sentence with the Cleveland and Buffalo? That's how you see it of course but that's interesting. You see them being hungover.

I do have a feeling that Carolina will be tough this year.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM

9,471 posts, read 7,141,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post

I do have a feeling that Carolina will be tough this year.
Here's my problem with Carolina.. Cam Newton.

He's the problem and the solution all in one. If things click so far as maturity.. He can be one of the greatest players in the game.

But.. If a defense gets to him.. He falls apart. And once he falls apart, he can't be put back together. might as well pull him and put Derek Anderson in at that point.

You get to Newton and rattle him early. Game's over. Prime example being the Super Bowl and just about every 2016 game.

If he can get coached through that.. And I certainly believe he can be coached through it.. Then Panthers just need a little upgrade on defense to be back in the SB.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 PM

10,717 posts, read 11,129,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here's my problem with Carolina.. Cam Newton.
When he's on he's on. I think that 2015 season was a year that things just worked out for them in the regular season. You go 15-1 and win by an average of 2 scores every game then it's easy to see why he smiled and laughed so much. I recall him saying at point that if you don't like them celebrating then stop them. But when it actually happened he folded rather than rise to the occasion.

If he matures up before the physical talent fades...look out, NFL!

PS: I think he's actually come a long way already as it is, but there's more room for improvement.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Status: "They say progress but I see degeneracy." (set 5 days ago)

1,246 posts, read 589,679 times
I agree about Newton. He's a phenom as long as things are going his way but when it gets tough, he'll sulk and feel sorry for himself while things continue to get worse.

Even though I feel Carolina could be tough, I've already concluded that Tampa will be compete for a playoff spot.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 PM

634 posts, read 472,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
After watching the Super Bowl, I've given up hope the NFL can produce a champion from the above list. It's like a Hollywood film where half way through you know how it's going to end. Next year will likely be Dallas vs Pittsburgh for a battle to see which franchise can get their 132nd Super Bowl trophy. Vomit. Maybe every 10 years or so we'll get a surprise like the Saints beating the Colts, but that's not worth the wait.
I'm cutting my NFL Game Pass subscription this year.
The Seahawks won their first Superbowl in 2013. New teams win fairly often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or