U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Status: "Fill the days." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,721 posts, read 11,142,357 times
Reputation: 14184

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post

IMO, BTW, the Raiders got hosed by that Tuck Rule Game ruling. The Raiders would've won that game, and would've won the Super Bowl.
The Raiders may well have won that game, but to argue they'd have won the Super Bowl is a bit silly. The truth is they still may have lost that game because you never know what's going to happen from one play to the next. Who would have thought the Falcons, leading 28-20 with 3:50 remaining and in FG range when a kick would likely put the game out of reach, would still lose the game? You can't just assume that Raiders team would have gone on to win that game (much less go into Pittsburg and beat the Steelers and then the Rams in the Super Bowl) because you can't prove a negative.

With that said I do think they got hosed with the tuck rule. I didn't care when it happened though because it happened to the Raiders!

 
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,632 posts, read 52,871,846 times
Reputation: 70988
You know how you can look at someone's face and have an unexplainable deep revulsion towards them? Mired with total distrust? Just like that?

That is how I have felt towards Tom Brady from day one. Before any cheating allegations. Before any big win this or dominance by the Patriots.

edit-two sentences deleted.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-21-2017 at 08:29 AM..
 
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: SWFL
22,952 posts, read 19,392,595 times
Reputation: 21504
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

To assume his marriage is a dog and pony show made me chuckle. I mean who is who's trophy? If you base it on money, Tom is Gisele's trophy as she makes more money, and her field is nearly as great as Brady is to the NFL. I don't think power couples can ever have one side be a trophy.
I'm glad you said that, metalman. I was going to point that out. Which brings me to why I wanted to post. Bridget Moynihan. I love Brady as our QB, always have, since he stepped foot onto the field when Bledsoe got injured BUT my admiration of him as a man went downhill fast when he dumped Bridget because she got pregnant, got Gisele preggers and married her. To me it was the male version of Gold Digging. So Tommy boy is no longer the wonderful MAN of my dreams but he sure is the GOAT of QBs in the NFL.

Back in the day, I didn't HATE the Cowboys but I got tired of them always being on the top of the pile and that must be how people feel about the Pats now. We're going for 6!!!
 
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,518,727 times
Reputation: 1143
Probably the most annoying thing about him is how he used to whine to the refs every time he got knocked down and got preferential treatment regarding penalty flags. Not just him, Manning got it too. He's been better about not being so whiny the past few years though.

How about the Patriots fans who whine about anyone disliking Brady or New England? You'll never be satisfied until everyone on the planet sends you a personalized memo detailing their love for Brady. Almost every Patriots fan I know gets in your face about this. They come off as sore winners. I'm a Ravens fan, and I have never once cared if someone doesn't believe Flacco had the greatest postseason by a QB of all time, or if someone doesn't believe the 2000 team fielded the greatest defense of all time, or if people believe Ray Lewis is a murderer because some people on TV said it was so (even though we don't know and will never know the truth). Then again, Ravens fans generally prefer being the underdogs. I guess Patriots fans want nothing more than acknowledgment of being the best over and over again.

There are some question marks about him getting to a couple of super bowls by using plays that are now deemed illegal. In general, the Patriots like to bend the rules as much as possible. While not illegal, they're not going to win many fans outside of Boston playing like that.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM
 
Location: SF Giants Nation 2010◆2012◆2014
1,041 posts, read 591,796 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The Raiders may well have won that game, but to argue they'd have won the Super Bowl is a bit silly. The truth is they still may have lost that game because you never know what's going to happen from one play to the next. Who would have thought the Falcons, leading 28-20 with 3:50 remaining and in FG range when a kick would likely put the game out of reach, would still lose the game? You can't just assume that Raiders team would have gone on to win that game (much less go into Pittsburg and beat the Steelers and then the Rams in the Super Bowl) because you can't prove a negative.

With that said I do think they got hosed with the tuck rule. I didn't care when it happened though because it happened to the Raiders!
Yes of course the game ain't over until it's over. Anyone rooting for the Falcons on Sunday were blatantly reminded of that. Immaculate Reception, The Catch, Music City Miracle... it ain't over 'til it's over. But the Raiders had a very strong team that year. They struggled in Foxborough largely because of the weather. That's why it's the home field advantage. Like the 1981 AFC Championship game, the high-charged Chargers lost to the Bengals in the Freezer Bowl for much the same reason.

I wasn't making an argument for why the Raiders'd beaten the Rams in the Super Bowl, or the Steelers in the Championship game. It's my opinion. I'm a Niner fan and don't care a lot for the silver and black.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Status: "Fill the days." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,721 posts, read 11,142,357 times
Reputation: 14184
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Yes of course the game ain't over until it's over. Anyone rooting for the Falcons on Sunday were blatantly reminded of that. Immaculate Reception, The Catch, Music City Miracle... it ain't over 'til it's over. But the Raiders had a very strong team that year. They struggled in Foxborough largely because of the weather. That's why it's the home field advantage. Like the 1981 AFC Championship game, the high-charged Chargers lost to the Bengals in the Freezer Bowl for much the same reason.
Sure they had a strong team that year. But so did several other teams. And the Pats struggled due to weather in that game, too. They were both playing in the same conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I wasn't making an argument for why the Raiders'd beaten the Rams in the Super Bowl, or the Steelers in the Championship game. It's my opinion. I'm a Niner fan and don't care a lot for the silver and black.
Fair enough, I just think it's also fair to challenge statements like this. Everyone is entitled to an opionion but the truth is nobody can make a factual statement about what would have happened had they not fabricated a rule that ultimately kept the Pats in that game at a crucial moment. We can't prove a counter factual. That's the only point I'm making.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,896,740 times
Reputation: 2786
Most fans have no idea what Spygate was about. Most fans did not bother looking into the sham that was deflategate. Look at people's reactions when you have seen other teams penalized for infractions - the Falcons pumping in fake crowd noise, the Broncos cheating the salary cap, A Jets' equipment staffer being suspended for using unapproved balls in 2009, Mike Tomlin essentially tripping a player, heck Jerry Rice came out and said he would use stick'em on his gloves. Any time you're at the top, and the Patriots have had more success than any NFL team over the last 16 seasons, you will have plenty of people that want to see you fail and have ill thoughts towards you.

I am a Patriots fan and I couldn't care less that fans of other teams hate Brady and the Patriots. They are the single greatest dynasty in NFL history and that's all that maters to me.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,764 posts, read 4,260,036 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm a Patriots fan and Brady is my favorite athlete of all time, so we can get that out of the way.

Aside from the "Gates", the only bad thing I can come up with on Brady is his child out of wedlock with Bridget Moynihan.

The cheating cloud outsiders tag is questionable to me. SpyGate - ignoring a NFL memo and taping in an outlawed place on the field, when taping anywhere else was allowed - cheating? DeflateGate where a supposed ball tampering carries a $25,000 fine. Yet the pathetic Wells report changes the game ultimately suspending Brady.

All I see is a hard worker dedicated to his craft, a family man, and a leader of men, and the greatest QB of all time.

Please don't derail this thread. I honestly want to see what fuels the Brady hate.

Tom Brady is a great player. Why do you need reassurance from other teams' fans?
 
Old 02-09-2017, 01:47 PM
 
5,235 posts, read 5,125,056 times
Reputation: 9740
I don't hate him.


I just don't think that he could carry John Unitas' jock strap.
 
Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM
 
Location: SWFL
22,952 posts, read 19,392,595 times
Reputation: 21504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Most fans have no idea what Spygate was about. Most fans did not bother looking into the sham that was deflategate. Look at people's reactions when you have seen other teams penalized for infractions - the Falcons pumping in fake crowd noise, the Broncos cheating the salary cap, A Jets' equipment staffer being suspended for using unapproved balls in 2009, Mike Tomlin essentially tripping a player, heck Jerry Rice came out and said he would use stick'em on his gloves. Any time you're at the top, and the Patriots have had more success than any NFL team over the last 16 seasons, you will have plenty of people that want to see you fail and have ill thoughts towards you.

I am a Patriots fan and I couldn't care less that fans of other teams hate Brady and the Patriots. They are the single greatest dynasty in NFL history and that's all that maters to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top