U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:48 AM

12,837 posts, read 8,837,821 times

Advertisements

The fact that several players are openly refusing to attend a White house ceremony because they dont like Trump. What a selfish attitude and really tacky. Did they even think about how that makes Robert Kraft look? When asked by Trump why some of the players on his team didn't show up..what is he supposed to say? Look, i get it, some people dont like Trump, but this is about the team, not the individual. Just really petty.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 AM

10,500 posts, read 5,965,165 times
You are aware that your QB did the same thing to President Obama right? I think they are all wrong. It's about respecting the office.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:22 AM

5,509 posts, read 2,381,187 times
Brady missed for a prior commitment though not a political stance..

But I agree with both of you. Ridiculous.

One of the players said "I don't feel welcome". Puhleeze...just stop already.

Paid a gajillion dollars, get thy arse there with the rest of your team.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,302,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
The fact that several players are openly refusing to attend a White house ceremony because they dont like Trump. What a selfish attitude and really tacky. Did they even think about how that makes Robert Kraft look? When asked by Trump why some of the players on his team didn't show up..what is he supposed to say? Look, i get it, some people dont like Trump, but this is about the team, not the individual. Just really petty.
I'm sure you were more than outraged by Ravens center Matt Birk refusing to visit the White House in 2012 citing political opposition to President Obama as his reason... right? Just curious - did you start a thread about it?

Or Brock Osweiler last year? (of course, that was just a 'scheduling conflict'... uh huh... riiiiigt)?

Or Brady two years ago?

Or Packers tight end Mark Chmura back in 1997, citing President Clinton's 'morals'? (quite the outrage from someone who would soon find himself in hot water for having sex with his under-age babysitter at an after-prom party)

It seems that your 'disgust' has precisely nothing at all to do with supposed selfishness and precisely everything to do with whether or not the athlete-skipping is occurring when there is a President with an R after his name.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,892,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
How is it selfish if a player doesn't want to visit the White House? Over the years we've seen plenty of players opt to not visit the White House for various reasons. Why does it matter so much?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:05 AM

919 posts, read 589,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How is it selfish if a player doesn't want to visit the White House? Over the years we've seen plenty of players opt to not visit the White House for various reasons. Why does it matter so much?
I agree ... it is a personal choice (the reasons are unimportant to me) and I respect it at that.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:19 AM

10,500 posts, read 5,965,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Brady missed for a prior commitment though not a political stance..

But I agree with both of you. Ridiculous.

One of the players said "I don't feel welcome". Puhleeze...just stop already.

Paid a gajillion dollars, get thy arse there with the rest of your team.

LOL What "prior commitment" would be more important than an invitation to the White House? That is an incredible honor that you simply do not blow off because you have another commitment. Brady is a hard core Trump supporter, it should be obvious why he skipped the trip to the White House when Obama was the President.

I can't believe anyone is actually buying the prior commitment excuse.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM

11,729 posts, read 11,574,271 times
I don't see this as the major deal everyone is making it out to be, like it or not, times have changed. People are more vocal and more open about any variety of subjects. If they don't want to go, for whatever reason, who am I to judge why or their motivation, not my business, don't care.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 AM

21,418 posts, read 21,980,735 times
I'm sure they're thinking; "Ho-hum, been there, done that...I got better things to do than being part of some trumped-up, photo-op for the current occupant"

18 athletes who refused to visit the White House

Matt Birk
The former Baltimore Ravens center won the Super Bowl earlier this year, but refused to meet President Obama because of the president's support for Planned Parenthood.
"I am Catholic, I am active in the pro-life movement, and I just felt like I couldn't deal with that," Birk said. "I couldn't endorse that in any way."

Mark Chmura
A member of the 1996 Super Bowl-winning Packers, Chmura skipped a trip to meet President Clinton, citing a previously scheduled golf tournament. After the Lewinsky scandal broke, however, he said, "I knew it all along" adding, "It doesn't really say much for society and the morals [Clinton] sets forth for our children."

Tom Lehman
An American golfer known to proudly flaunt his Christian faith, Lehman declined to meet President Clinton, instead referring to him as a "draft-dodging baby killer."

Last edited by Ghengis; 02-10-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM

17,380 posts, read 10,291,754 times
About that 'prior commitment':

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nelly-com...184706257.html

Quote:
In 2015, the Patriots visited the White House while Barack Obama was serving as President, and Brady did not show up with his team due to a “family commitment.” However, he was seen at Gillette Stadium that day “for a stretch of time,” and less than a day later, he was photographed in NYC looking at watches at the Apple Store.
I suppose it was A O.K. in Brady's case because he didn't make any public statements against Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or