U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Lastly in the spirit of this thread which delves into "behaviors" outside the lines....Ben's alleged sexual misconduct including suspension next to the life that Brees has led which oozes class and character???

No contest there either....
A 6 week suspension for violating the NFL personal conduct policy. Accused twice of rape in 2008 in Tahoe and again in 2010 in Milledgeville, GA. Years of PR coaching to repair his public image isn't going to get him enough votes to ever get into the HOF. He's never been a league MVP. He's never been an All Pro. He only made 5 Pro Bowls. He's typically been the 4th to 6th best QB in the league and he's always played for a strong team. There will always be enough people who look at that, look at the character problem, and leave him off their ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:07 AM

140 posts, read 64,502 times
I was never a fan of TO, but numbers don't lie. He's 2nd all-time in yards and 3rd in TDs. He was a huge drama queen and never the best teammate, but then again neither was Moss. Very similar players, but the only difference is Moss at his peak was a fair amount better than TO at his peak. Moss with a work ethic would've been better than Rice. He was that talented.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
The drops argument is a weak one too I think. Who cares if the guy drops 15 passes if he also has 15 TDs. Did the drops negatively affect his teams? I would say no since he was on succesfull teams for the most part.

Also, compared to Moss. Owens at least have it his all every play even if it was a run or a pass play called to the opposite side of the field. Moss was always criticized for not always playing every down like a critical down.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
I just don't understand what the voting committee has against receivers either. Watch, Brees, Big Ben will both make it first ballot. Favre already made it first ballot. We can't even get arguably the second or third greatest receiver in on his second ballot?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
I'm not going to shed tears for Terrell Owens. He made enough money and was a bit of a jerk. That makes a lot of sports writers angry and jealous. Works the same way in baseball. He'll get in.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
There have been only five first ballot WR HoFers: Ray Berry, Paul Warfield, Lance Alworth, Steve Largent, and Jerry Rice. If Cris Carter wasn't going to crash that group, TO wasn't either -- the HoF has historically been tough on WRs for some reason.
Add Irvin in there to those who weren't a first ballot HoF WR.

Irvin is a pretty good analogy to TO.. The fact he didn't make it on his first year of eligibility.. Doesn't bode well for Moss either.. But I think that monster '07 year might push Moss over.. At least, he has a better chance than TO did.

TO will get in.. He deserves to be in.. Although, he isn't doing himself any favors by creating so much drama when he doesn't get in.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:34 AM

10,460 posts, read 5,924,770 times
I hated TO, thought he was an ass and a terrible teammate. But I also know a Hall of Famer when I see one and as posted before the HOF is about what you did on the field, not off, as Jim Brown will tell us.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,520,569 times
I see many apples to oranges comparisons !

Yes, many other athletes were jerks off the field in their behavior.

Being a jerk towards your team mates isn't an "off the field" argument (imho) and evidently also in the judgment of selection voters.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The drops argument is a weak one too I think. Who cares if the guy drops 15 passes if he also has 15 TDs. Did the drops negatively affect his teams? I would say no since he was on succesfull teams for the most part.
From what I've read, the drops are apparently a bit of an issue. One of the HoF voters mentioned it in an article about TO, saying he was in the top four in that category seven times and led the league once (I had heard it was twice, but maybe heard wrong). I have no reason to doubt him.

And dropped passes can kill drives, either forcing a punt or turning a TD into a FG. They sometimes don't matter, but that depends on the situation.

It's all part of the case to consider.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:20 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I just don't understand what the voting committee has against receivers either. Watch, Brees, Big Ben will both make it first ballot. Favre already made it first ballot. We can't even get arguably the second or third greatest receiver in on his second ballot?
I'm not saying TO wasn't a HoF worthy WR, but second or third greatest in history? You need to period adjust here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football