U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,955,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
If Godell accepts Favre's reinstatement (which seems very likely), then what happens? Would the Packers then be forced to put Favre on the roster or outright release him if Favre doesn't accept a trade (given his veto power)?
Once Goodell reinstated him, the Packers had 24 hours to either add him to the roster or release him. Obviously, they chose the former. I wonder why management had a change of heart, though -- first he was welcomed back only as a backup, and now the QB competition is open. Maybe they knew how much Brett would whine and cry if he didn't get a chance to compete for the job, so they just did this to shut him up. If so, I'm disappointed in management, and I've been on their side up till now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 PM

536 posts, read 991,325 times
i'm sorry. i was so against him coming back but now that he is i am like woo hoo!!!!
putting all the drama behind us

Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,322,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Once Goodell reinstated him, the Packers had 24 hours to either add him to the roster or release him. Obviously, they chose the former. I wonder why management had a change of heart, though -- first he was welcomed back only as a backup, and now the QB competition is open. Maybe they knew how much Brett would whine and cry if he didn't get a chance to compete for the job, so they just did this to shut him up. If so, I'm disappointed in management, and I've been on their side up till now.
BF is undoubtedly a diva. He's showing his true colors in that it's all about him and not his team or teammates. He's going to be a big distraction to the team until the get rid of him (release or trade). If they keep him on the team, either as a starter or a backup, he's going to cause a very divided locker room.

Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio made some good points this morning. Basically, the longer this thing drags out, the worse it is for both parties (Packers and Favre). Favre should be willing to accept a trade to a team other than the Vikings. Otherwise, GB should stick it to him and make him the NFL's most highly compensated 3rd QB.

Aaron Rodgers (whom someone referred to as A-Rod ) said he's open to compete for a job. But secretly, he's got to be pissed at both the Packers and Favre.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
BF is undoubtedly a diva. He's showing his true colors in that it's all about him and not his team or teammates. He's going to be a big distraction to the team until the get rid of him (release or trade). If they keep him on the team, either as a starter or a backup, he's going to cause a very divided locker room.

Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio made some good points this morning. Basically, the longer this thing drags out, the worse it is for both parties (Packers and Favre). Favre should be willing to accept a trade to a team other than the Vikings. Otherwise, GB should stick it to him and make him the NFL's most highly compensated 3rd QB.

Aaron Rodgers (whom someone referred to as A-Rod ) said he's open to compete for a job. But secretly, he's got to be pissed at both the Packers and Favre.
LOL@A-Rod. He's handled this thing so calmly and professionally, it's unbelievable. But yeah, you have to think he's seething under the sufrace.

Apparently, according to the Milwaukee paper, Roger Goodell was the one who wanted the situation characterized as being an open QB competition. But now it looks like McCarthy has told Favre that ISN'T the case -- that Rodgers is still the guy.

It's a showdown right now to see who blinks first. Will the Packers cave and let Brett pretty much do what he wants, or will they ship him off to a team of their choosing? Of course, even if they do that, Brett can just refuse to show up for the new team, and then his rights revert to the Packers, and we're back to square one.

I hate seeing this. I've emotionally invested 26 years of my life into this team. I don't want Favre in Packers camp, but even more than that, I just want this whole issue resolved. The team needs to be able to focus on the upcoming season and put this behind them.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,321,362 times
The Packers are the ones that are classless with this story. Favre should be able to call his shots and the club should give him whatever he wants, even a release. They are trying to have it both ways (don't want him to start, but don't want anyone else to have him either). If they wanted it that bad, they should have made him sign a no compete clause, when he retired.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,512,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
They are trying to have it both ways
And Favre hasn't tried to have it both ways himself?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,321,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
And Favre hasn't tried to have it both ways himself?
How so?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The Packers are the ones that are classless with this story. Favre should be able to call his shots and the club should give him whatever he wants, even a release. They are trying to have it both ways (don't want him to start, but don't want anyone else to have him either). If they wanted it that bad, they should have made him sign a no compete clause, when he retired.
Why in the world should they give him whatever he wants? He's not bigger or more important than the team.

That's been Brett's problem all along. He DID think the team should give him whatever he wants. That's why he's been kicking and screaming through this whole ordeal, and it's also why he's not going to play with the Packers this year. He went into camp thinking the club would bend down and kiss his butt and cave into his every desire. Well, they called his bluff, and now he wants out.

This team bent over backwards to accommodate him for years, while he made up his mind about whether he was going to retire. Then when he finally does, he still can't make up his mind. When he wants to come back, the team has already drafted two QBs to back up Rodgers. The team offered him a chance to compete for his job back, but all he could do in his meeting with McCarthy is complain about how poorly the team had treated him. That's why McCarthy came out and said Brett wasn't in the right mindset to play for the team. He had his chance, and he blew it.

He was an employee under contract. The organization had a right to do whatever it wanted, including trading him where they want him to go. Besides, think about WHY Brett wanted to go to the Vikings -- so he could play against the Packers. Not to make the Vikes a better team, but so that Brett could settle a personal score. Way to be a team player, Brett.

This comes from a 26-year fan and a shareholder. Enough is enough. He's proved himself to be just another selfish prima donna athlete who picks up his ball and goes home if everybody doesn't cater to his every whim.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,269,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Why in the world should they give him whatever he wants? He's not bigger or more important than the team.

That's been Brett's problem all along. He DID think the team should give him whatever he wants. That's why he's been kicking and screaming through this whole ordeal, and it's also why he's not going to play with the Packers this year. He went into camp thinking the club would bend down and kiss his butt and cave into his every desire. Well, they called his bluff, and now he wants out.

This team bent over backwards to accommodate him for years, while he made up his mind about whether he was going to retire. Then when he finally does, he still can't make up his mind. When he wants to come back, the team has already drafted two QBs to back up Rodgers. The team offered him a chance to compete for his job back, but all he could do in his meeting with McCarthy is complain about how poorly the team had treated him. That's why McCarthy came out and said Brett wasn't in the right mindset to play for the team. He had his chance, and he blew it.

He was an employee under contract. The organization had a right to do whatever it wanted, including trading him where they want him to go. Besides, think about WHY Brett wanted to go to the Vikings -- so he could play against the Packers. Not to make the Vikes a better team, but so that Brett could settle a personal score. Way to be a team player, Brett.

This comes from a 26-year fan and a shareholder. Enough is enough. He's proved himself to be just another selfish prima donna athlete who picks up his ball and goes home if everybody doesn't cater to his every whim.
well he is welcome to become a primadona on my team any time he wants. Lets so how you feel when you are on your 6 th QB in 7 years. You are going to regret that you could have had a chance for a superbowl, at least 2 more chances, and you all blew it. Are you thinking you have a Tom Brady on your QB list, or a Tony Romo? Remember, you can only become a Pheonominal QB if you are replacing Drew Bloodsue (sorry for wrong spelling). Your new guy is just going to crack under this pressure.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,672,877 times
I root for the Green Bay Packers not the Green Bay Favres. He isnt the GM of this team he is a player. Lets see in 2005 Favre had 20 TD's and 29 picks, in 2006 he had 18 TD's and 18 picks. IN 2007 He had a career year, HMMMMM I wonder why. Could it be because in Bretts own words Thompson put one of the best teams he has played with around him? Thompson drafted Jennings, Jones, brought in Ryan Grant, made the Packers a top 10 defense. The Packers weren't 13-3 just due to Favre they have ALOT of young good players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football