U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Why in the world should they give him whatever he wants? He's not bigger or more important than the team.

That's been Brett's problem all along. He DID think the team should give him whatever he wants. That's why he's been kicking and screaming through this whole ordeal, and it's also why he's not going to play with the Packers this year. He went into camp thinking the club would bend down and kiss his butt and cave into his every desire. Well, they called his bluff, and now he wants out.

This team bent over backwards to accommodate him for years, while he made up his mind about whether he was going to retire. Then when he finally does, he still can't make up his mind. When he wants to come back, the team has already drafted two QBs to back up Rodgers. The team offered him a chance to compete for his job back, but all he could do in his meeting with McCarthy is complain about how poorly the team had treated him. That's why McCarthy came out and said Brett wasn't in the right mindset to play for the team. He had his chance, and he blew it.

He was an employee under contract. The organization had a right to do whatever it wanted, including trading him where they want him to go. Besides, think about WHY Brett wanted to go to the Vikings -- so he could play against the Packers. Not to make the Vikes a better team, but so that Brett could settle a personal score. Way to be a team player, Brett.

This comes from a 26-year fan and a shareholder. Enough is enough. He's proved himself to be just another selfish prima donna athlete who picks up his ball and goes home if everybody doesn't cater to his every whim.

I completely disagree with your post coming from a 20 plus year fan.

The team has handled this entire situation wrong and TT should be fired immediately for his handling. I have never liked him and this just proves he is the douche I thought he was.

By the way, he didnt want to play for the Vikings so he could play against the Packers it was because he could play in a division in which he was familiar with the competition and knew many of his teammates. Most player moves in the NFL are done within the division for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,267,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I root for the Green Bay Packers not the Green Bay Favres. He isnt the GM of this team he is a player. Lets see in 2005 Favre had 20 TD's and 29 picks, in 2006 he had 18 TD's and 18 picks. IN 2007 He had a career year, HMMMMM I wonder why. Could it be because in Bretts own words Thompson put one of the best teams he has played with around him? Thompson drafted Jennings, Jones, brought in Ryan Grant, made the Packers a top 10 defense. The Packers weren't 13-3 just due to Favre they have ALOT of young good players.
perhaps he had the 29 picks because you had a TERRIBLE team who couldnt do jack against defenders. I saw what he did against my Denver Broncos last year. Id sure like to trade you.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM

51,876 posts, read 41,765,307 times
I am a Bears fan so I love this and my co-worker is a Packers fan so it's even better.

Basically, Brett Favre is a first ballot unanimous hall of famer.....but he is currently an average or slightly better than average starting QB that gets paid MVP money in the land of hard salary caps.

I have always respected the Packers fans for:
1) Team Loyalty.
2) They seemed to know their football

This cult of personality over a guy that really isn't *great* anymore is almost creepy and it's amazing how many people can't get over their obsession with the guy and even acknowledge his current skill level.

To the GB fans mentioning all his MVP's etc? That was during the Clinton administration.

With that said, the Bears aren't doing so hot so I appreciate this wave of stupidity in handicapping what is a very promising young Packer team. Hopefully they implode and blow this golden opportunity to have some success.

What is great, is that no matter what happens, the nutty favre cult will not accept that it was his fault so if they go 8-8 and miss the playoffs it will be because they didn't treat Brett right even if he starts all 16 games and finishes in the bottom half of passers in the ratings. It can never be his fault....the guy pees beer and turns stale pizza crust into a feast....he's the freaking cheese-head Jesus.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am a Bears fan so I love this and my co-worker is a Packers fan so it's even better.

Basically, Brett Favre is a first ballot unanimous hall of famer.....but he is currently an average or slightly better than average starting QB that gets paid MVP money in the land of hard salary caps.

1) Team Loyalty.

This cult of personality over a guy that really isn't *great* anymore is almost creepy and it's amazing how many people can't get over their obsession with the guy and even acknowledge his current skill level.

To the GB fans mentioning all his MVP's etc? That was during the Clinton administration.

With that said, the Bears aren't doing so hot so I appreciate this wave of stupidity in handicapping what is a very promising young Packer team. Hopefully they implode and blow this golden opportunity to have some success.

What is great, is that no matter what happens, the nutty favre cult will not accept that it was his fault so if they go 8-8 and miss the playoffs it will be because they didn't treat Brett right even if he starts all 16 games and finishes in the bottom half of passers in the ratings. It can never be his fault....the guy pees beer and turns stale pizza crust into a feast....he's the freaking cheese-head Jesus.

Did you watch Brett Favre last year? Granted his only two bad games were against the Bears but he was the best QB in the league behind Brady. He had one of his best seasons ever. What are you talking about average QB? He is easily one of the best 3 in the league as we speak.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,267,018 times
Quote:

1) Team Loyalty.

Jim McMahan isnt coming back, and neither is the fridge, so your going to be waiting a very long time yourself. GB on the otherhad, had a chance to get back to the SB, but I just see no chance in the next decade now.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,732,370 times
Rodgers is showing he has one thing that Favre doesn't, and that is class. Favre obviously couldn't care less about the Packers as a team, it's all about him. Favre was a great QB and will be a Hall of Famer, but he is trashing his own legacy.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,951,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
well he is welcome to become a primadona on my team any time he wants. Lets so how you feel when you are on your 6 th QB in 7 years. You are going to regret that you could have had a chance for a superbowl, at least 2 more chances, and you all blew it. Are you thinking you have a Tom Brady on your QB list, or a Tony Romo? Remember, you can only become a Pheonominal QB if you are replacing Drew Bloodsue (sorry for wrong spelling). Your new guy is just going to crack under this pressure.
Look. We were under the impression ever since March that Favre was gone and Rodgers was our starter. For better or worse, that was the course we had charted, because Favre had retired. Now everyone acts like Rodgers somehow stole the starting job from Favre, or that Favre somehow deserves it back. Brett Favre retired. He then proceeded to jerk everyone around on this team with his drama-queen antics, and when he was finally offered a chance to compete for the job, that still wasn't good enough for him.

I don't know if Rodgers will be good or bad. But the point is, he's the guy. He's been learning under Favre for three years, so I'd think he'd have a good shot. If it doesn't work out, well, that's how the chips fall. We have Brian Brohm to groom next!

Teams move on. Guys leave, and new guys replace them. If Brett had never gone through this retire/unretire drama, none of this would even be an issue. Everyone would be behind Rodgers and wishing him the best. Besides, we can't lean on Brett forever. Great, maybe he gives us a shot this year (but he could just as easily have another one of his lousy seasons). But what about the year after that? And the year after that?

People just need to let go of the past. He gave us 16 years, but it's over. Besides, Brett "gave" us a shot at the SB last year. You know why we didn't make it all the way? Because HE threw a game-killing interception in overtime of the NFC title game.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM

14,540 posts, read 22,406,075 times
Quote:
Bah haha! If I were to be drinking a beer when I read that paragraph, I'd have spewed that beer through my nose into my keyboard.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,960,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Rodgers is showing he has one thing that Favre doesn't, and that is class. Favre obviously couldn't care less about the Packers as a team, it's all about him. Favre was a great QB and will be a Hall of Famer, but he is trashing his own legacy.

I agree with you about Aaron being classy throughout this whole mess. The thing I worry about is, if the Pack start out 2-4, it will be ALL his fault. Hope he comes out firing on opening day!

As for the "bring Brett back" crowd, don't you guys get it. He does not care about you! If he did he would'nt have caused this whole thing. He has put Rogers and coach McCarthy in a no-win situation and divided the entire Packer fan base for what? To play in Minnesota? Chicago? Thats right. HE WANTS TO PLAY IN MINNESOTA OR CHICAGO! How wrong is that for a "true" Packer? Open your eyes, guess he's not a "true" Packer is he? When he "retired", the team re-tooled for their "Farve-less" future. He is causing huge problems with the teams prep for the new season, yet you losers sit outside the Hutson center and chant "bring Brett back"! Idiots! It's over. I loved the guy like every other Packer fan. But he is bringing down my team. Your team. The drama has made me realize one thing for sure. I'm a much bigger Packer fan than a Farve fan.

Go Pack Go!!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,508,852 times
I admire you Packers fans that are taking a stand against Brett Favre's immaturity through all this. Because in my opinion your demonstrating what a true fan does, and that's root for the team first, and not the name on the back of a jersey. I don't want to hear about loyalty, the Packers have been loyal to Brett Favre for a long time, and had he not retired there's no doubt he'd still be the starter there, he brought this on himself. I'm not a Packers fan but I really want to see you guys along with Aaron Rodgers succeed this coming season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football