U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,324,390 times

Advertisements

The compensation for Brett Favre is a conditional 4th round draft pick from the Jets to the Packers. If Favre handles over 50% of the snaps (or was it passes?), then the Packers get at least a 3rd round pick. If he does 70% of the snaps/passes (again, not sure which one) and the Jets make the playoffs, then it's a 2nd round pick. And if the Jets go to the SB, then the Packers get a 1st round pick. That seems like a fair deal.

Here's to hoping Favre handles less than 50% of the snaps/passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am seriously laughing so hard at the concept of Favre being one of the Top 2 quarterbacks in the NFL at any point in the last 6 years. Then your "stats don't matter comment" Ok, ok, I get it...you surrender.

Did you even read my post? Or are you illiterate?

First of, I never said anything about six years. I said last year.

Second, I never said that "stats dont matter". You dont put quotations around something that no one said.

I said that the QB rating is just a statistic and it doesnt tell the best plater. That is no way translates to stats dont matter. They are only one part of the equation.

Trying reading a post, comprehending it, and then respond.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
QB rating is just a statistic. It in no way shows who is the best player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They (statistics) are only one part of the equation.
Hey, if you miscommunicated your first point then say so. Restating what you said but blaming me for misreading your first statement seems to be contradictory.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM

14,586 posts, read 22,437,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
The only reason Favre's numbers have been improving is because the players around him got better. He didnt all of a sudden find some miracle pill that makes you a better QB at 38 years old. Agian he is in a big wake up call when he suits up for the Jets this year.
I can buy this and will admit that this was Elway's situation in the Zenith of his career too. But hats off to him nonetheless.

We football fans would like to see the same thing happen to a Brett Favre and a Dan Marino as what happened to Elway; go out on top. It was good to see the Pack in the running with TB, the Cowboys, and the Giants. The Packers were this close to winning it all. Would have been a nice ending for Favre. But here we are.

Favre did some bad things as did the Packer's organization. Favre held his ground and got what he wanted up to the point where the Packers first offered him a severence package, then said ok "Come on back in to camp." And that's what I saw as being the last straw for many Favre fans and football fans in general.

Now this move to the Jets is what I see as the Packer's organization saving face just a bit. Would you agree with that? I don't see it as Favre giving in by going to sit on the bench in the AFC.

Either way, I think it's still a mess. Next story.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I can buy this and will admit that this was Elway's situation in the Zenith of his career too. But hats off to him nonetheless.

We football fans would like to see the same thing happen to a Brett Favre and a Dan Marino as what happened to Elway; go out on top. It was good to see the Pack in the running with TB, the Cowboys, and the Giants. The Packers were this close to winning it all. Would have been a nice ending for Favre. But here we are.

Favre did some bad things as did the Packer's organization. Favre held his ground and got what he wanted up to the point where the Packers first offered him a severence package, then said ok "Come on back in to camp." And that's what I saw as being the last straw for many Favre fans and football fans in general.

Now this move to the Jets is what I see as the Packer's organization saving face just a bit. Would you agree with that? I don't see it as Favre giving in by going to sit on the bench in the AFC.

Either way, I think it's still a mess. Next story.
Many of us feel that Elway still had some left. Maybe not the legs he used to have, but the arm was still there. The instinct was still there. The leadership was stronger than ever. He worked well with the running game he was given. Im pretty sure that if we had traded Elway after he had retired but decided to come back in 1999, the fans would have burned Denver to the ground. If you go to Colorado today, Elway is the most reconized face, the Governor of Co is 18th. Yeah, you GB folks really messed up. I don't care if you needed to move on, what ever. I think it sucks to be crap at any year. I would rather have THIS year to enjoy. WHo knows if we will even be around this planet next year. What a bunch of idiots in the GB organization. America will be looking forward to your losses.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,673,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
. Yeah, you GB folks really messed up. I don't care if you needed to move on, what ever. I think it sucks to be crap at any year. I would rather have THIS year to enjoy. WHo knows if we will even be around this planet next year. What a bunch of idiots in the GB organization. America will be looking forward to your losses.

Did Brett Favre play every position on the team? Wait no he didnt so I guess that means there are guys on the field besides him that got us to 13-3 last year. Maybe it's the fact we have one of the best defenses in the NFL, maybe it's having a RB that can be a 1000 yard back, or a young WR corps that is pretty darn good. Oh who am I kidding Brett Favre blocked for himself, handed the ball to himself and played defense himself.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Did Brett Favre play every position on the team? Wait no he didnt so I guess that means there are guys on the field besides him that got us to 13-3 last year. Maybe it's the fact we have one of the best defenses in the NFL, maybe it's having a RB that can be a 1000 yard back, or a young WR corps that is pretty darn good. Oh who am I kidding Brett Favre blocked for himself, handed the ball to himself and played defense himself.
the QB position is the MOST important position in the NFL, hell its the most important positoin in all levels of football, infact, its the most important job in all of sports. Don't tell me that a crappy QB gets you that fantastic record. Are you saying you could have plugged in Ryan Leaf and been as successfull. Yes, your team finally put some chemistry around BF. No, I maintain that GB management is full of idiots. I don't care about Arron Rogers 3 years. What about the 17 years of Brett. What about the fact that he wouldnt even quit that night he came up spitting blood. What about the great superbowl win. What about the game against my broncos in SB 42....which scared the crap out of me. I never thought we had it won until the last second ticked off (AND WE HAD JOHN ELWAY FOR GOD SAKES). Brett always gave the team a chance to win no matter what happened.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:08 AM

5,412 posts, read 14,324,390 times
Other notables who were traded after spending the vast majority of their careers w/ one team are Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. Rice was on ESPN Radio on Thurs. morning sharing his exp. of playing w/ 1 team for 16 years and then switching uniforms. He can relate to what Favre is about to do. However, I couldn't listen to the entire interview this morning. If anyone caught it, please expound on it. TIA.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,956,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I am a Bears fan so I love this and my co-worker is a Packers fan so it's even better.

Basically, Brett Favre is a first ballot unanimous hall of famer.....but he is currently an average or slightly better than average starting QB that gets paid MVP money in the land of hard salary caps.

I have always respected the Packers fans for:
1) Team Loyalty.
2) They seemed to know their football

This cult of personality over a guy that really isn't *great* anymore is almost creepy and it's amazing how many people can't get over their obsession with the guy and even acknowledge his current skill level.

To the GB fans mentioning all his MVP's etc? That was during the Clinton administration.

With that said, the Bears aren't doing so hot so I appreciate this wave of stupidity in handicapping what is a very promising young Packer team. Hopefully they implode and blow this golden opportunity to have some success.

What is great, is that no matter what happens, the nutty favre cult will not accept that it was his fault so if they go 8-8 and miss the playoffs it will be because they didn't treat Brett right even if he starts all 16 games and finishes in the bottom half of passers in the ratings. It can never be his fault....the guy pees beer and turns stale pizza crust into a feast....he's the freaking cheese-head Jesus.
ROFL! I never thought I'd agree with a Bears fan, of all things.

Yeah, it really is disturbing to now find out how many people deify this guy. Don't get me wrong. I loved watching him play. Sometimes I was yelling at my TV screen over the stupid passes he'd make, but other times I was astounded at some of the amazing plays he pulled off. You never knew what you were going to get, but it was always exciting to watch.

But it's OVER. He made his bed, and now he has to lie in it. And you know what? The Packers will go on. If the Packers survived the retirement of Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, it can survive the retirement of Brett Favre. No player or coach is bigger than the team ... even if some of them think they are.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:32 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,956,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Jim McMahan isnt coming back, and neither is the fridge, so your going to be waiting a very long time yourself. GB on the otherhad, had a chance to get back to the SB, but I just see no chance in the next decade now.
But how long do you keep clinging to the past? Favre maybe would have given us one year (but he just as likely could have had another lousy season), but what about the year after that, and the year after that?

Rodgers may be great, and he may stink. But teams move on. Players retire, and you replace them and do the best you can.

And I will continue to remind my fellow Packer fans that the reason we DIDN'T make the SB last year was because BRETT FAVRE threw a bonehead interception in overtime of the NFC title game. The guy was 3-7 in the last 10 years of the playoffs. He hasn't won a ring since 1996. Let's face it: He was fun to watch, but his best years were far behind him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football