U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Thursday night games be stopped
No, keep it 15 31.25%
Yes, get rid of it. 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

Great posts. I know the TNF isn't going anywhere but let's be honest, it's all about money just like London games. A lot of TNF games are horrible matchups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,776,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Great posts. I know the TNF isn't going anywhere but let's be honest, it's all about money just like London games. A lot of TNF games are horrible matchups.
Those games being bad was kinda by design, though. Every team is guaranteed an appearance on TNF, so you'll end up with some unwatchables.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:14 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,368,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

I actually happen to really like the Bills red color Rush uniforms but I know that is a hotly debated topic with some Bills fans not liking them.
I like all the Color Rush uniforms. Adds a little spice to a league that's trying to make it more boring each year with the strict rules on shoes, TD celebrations, & the skyrocketing taunting flags.

A lot of times, the only reason I turn on Thur Night football for poor matchups is to see the uniforms.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:34 AM

28,445 posts, read 15,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I would do away with Thursday night outside of the opener and Thanksgiving Day games. Also get rid of the Saturday games in December.
If they an on keeping them they need to figure out how to give both teams more rest. The most obvious solution being to make the season one week longer by adding a second by week.
Have both teams on a bye week, the week before the Thursday game.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:59 AM

3,741 posts, read 1,801,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
The NFL should stick to Sunday and Monday, with only the following exceptions:

1. The regular-season opener.
2. Two or three games on Thanksgiving.
3. One or two games on both of the December Saturdays without college football.
This

Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

The only way Thursday night football works: Each team gets 1 appearance (no game in week 17, so the math works out to 1 team a season). The 2 teams that are playing the Thursday night game get the bye week the week before.

2 reasons why this doesn't work:
1) Making the NFL composite schedule is hard enough as it is, and adding extra items like "only 1 team per season on Thursday Night" and "the team that plays on Thursday has to have a bye the week before" will be a logistical nightmare.
2) I know we have bye's pretty early & late on (weeks 4 & week 13) but I have a hard time seeing the NFLPA agreeing to have teams play 16 straight games. Remember, in my scenario the teams that played the Thursday night game in week 2 open the season (week 1) with their bye, so if one or both of those teams made the playoffs, they could play 19 straight weeks if they finish as the 3rd-6th seed and win both the Wildcard & divisional round games . Yes, I know B.T (before Texans as recently as 2001) some teams played 16 straight games since every week had at least 1 team on a bye since there were an odd number of teams, but in the 17 years the sport has become so wussified that with all the potential injury concerns happening by playing 16 straight weeks, I have a better chance of seeing a pig fly by my window than THAT happening.

Sorry for my rant, but what I just explained: Eliminate the Thursday night game! Opening night & Detroit & Dallas on Thanksgiving is perfectly fine, but every other week just scrap it. The games are usually duds, and the game play is usually worse!

Old 04-17-2017, 05:55 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
And again, a lot of these Thursday night matchups are terrible matchups. 7express is right. Other than the opening game (kickoff game) and Thanksgiving game (Detroit and Dallas only), get rid of the Thursday night games. I think Thursday night games have gotten worse and worse!

Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 AM

6,604 posts, read 10,666,988 times
Back in the 1970s I remember how special Monday night was because night games were only Monday night (not even Sunday).

Based on my own viewing habits, I would prefer Monday night only, no Sunday, no Thursday, no third game on Thanksgiving.

And no foreign games.

But none of that is going to happen because the NFL calculates for every fan they lose because of night and foreign games, they probably can thousands more elsewhere and millions more in revenue dollars.

I do like the Saturday games in the last two weeks of the season.

If any night games, I would prefer Friday or Saturday, and any foreign games at decent hours in the US.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Have both teams on a bye week, the week before the Thursday game.
Problem is, this shortens the bye week from basically two full weeks off to just a week and half off. That is why I like the idea of adding a second bye week. It extends the season which means more primetime games. And it still allows every team to have a full two weeks off. Give every team a bye week in their first eight games and another bye week in their last eight games.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
they should play international games on Thursday nights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or