U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Thursday night games be stopped
No, keep it 15 31.25%
Yes, get rid of it. 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:27 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they should play international games on Thursday nights
Not going to happen. Besides, it would be too late at night for the British to watch American football when they are played on Thursday nights and that would be pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
Rumor has it the Bears will play the Packers on a Thursday night. Packers record gets them prime time games, Bears get to come along for the ride Thurs. night at Lambeau IF this guy is right!

If Bears haven't improved, national audience will not be pleased with the matchup and another case for bad Thursday night schedules.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Not going to happen. Besides, it would be too late at night for the British to watch American football when they are played on Thursday nights and that would be pathetic.
Those poor Brits never get to do anything.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Those poor Brits never get to do anything.
Good point, Colt!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
To me, I do not like Thursday night games. (Thursday night college games are different story though.) I know it's about business and money but it's for the players safety and if the NFL insists on it, each team should get a bye. I'm personally fine with Thanksgiving Games; however IMO only Detroit and Dallas should be the host team for Thanksgiving games. I don't think I'd be in the mood for the third game. I'm also fine with the NFL Kickoff Game where the winner (but not always the case, Ravens in 2012 when to Denver in the Kickoff Game after they won Super Bowl 47) hosts the kickoff game. A lot of Thursday night matchups are terrible. It's unwatchable for me. Keep MNF and SNF but get rid of Thursday night games. I won't miss it if the NFL ends it.

I personally enjoy Thursday night games, there are not enough games to begin with when you compare it to baseball or basketball, so each game is at a premium. But I do agree when you, if a team plays on Thursday night, maybe they should have a bye the previous week.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i dont care one way or the other. if the NFL decides to eliminate the thursday night games, or expand them, it matters not one whit to me.

Are you from St. Louis?? LOL

Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Also, John Madden says that Thursday night games doesn't work. He also says that they should either get rid of them or chance the strategy of having each team get a full weak off before they play them. I agree with him 100% on it. I don't like it because each team should get a week off otherwise just scrap it other than the kickoff game and the Detroit/Dallas Thanksgiving games.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 PM

I want to bring this thread up to date. This years TNF matchups are pretty bad. The NFL needs to find a way to give each team one full week off. Otherwise, get rid of it. Even Joe Theismann doesn't like it and he's all for the players' safety. As much as I dislike him but he's right.

And they also need to scrap color rush uniforms. It's unnecessary.

Joe Theismann criticizes Thursday Night Football - DanPatrick.com

Even Richie Incognito hates Thursday Night Football games and I don't blame him and everybody should hate those games. And if NFL players want to blast the NFL for forcing them to play those games, let them do it and I would do the same thing if I were playing or coaching.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/3/1...night-football
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10...tnf-complaints
https://www.newsy.com/stories/a-lot-...ight-football/

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 11-10-2017 at 10:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

20,899 posts, read 39,162,901 times
Not sure I got the math right on this, so y'all correct me if I'm mis-counting....but couldn't a team with a bye on a Sunday then play on a Thursday night?

This way they get 10-days off on both sides of a Thursday night game, instead of just 14 days between two games with the usual bye week?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not sure I got the math right on this, so y'all correct me if I'm mis-counting....but couldn't a team with a bye on a Sunday then play on a Thursday night?

This way they get 10-days off on both sides of a Thursday night game, instead of just 14 days between two games with the usual bye week?
I'm not too bright on my math either but it makes sense for a team to get 10 days off when they play on Thursday nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or