Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Thursday night games be stopped
No, keep it 15 31.25%
Yes, get rid of it. 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times

Advertisements

To me, I do not like Thursday night games. (Thursday night college games are different story though.) I know it's about business and money but it's for the players safety and if the NFL insists on it, each team should get a bye. I'm personally fine with Thanksgiving Games; however IMO only Detroit and Dallas should be the host team for Thanksgiving games. I don't think I'd be in the mood for the third game. I'm also fine with the NFL Kickoff Game where the winner (but not always the case, Ravens in 2012 when to Denver in the Kickoff Game after they won Super Bowl 47) hosts the kickoff game. A lot of Thursday night matchups are terrible. It's unwatchable for me. Keep MNF and SNF but get rid of Thursday night games. I won't miss it if the NFL ends it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
personally i dont care one way or the other. if the NFL decides to eliminate the thursday night games, or expand them, it matters not one whit to me.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
The NFL should stick to Sunday and Monday, with only the following exceptions:

1. The regular-season opener.
2. Two or three games on Thanksgiving.
3. One or two games on both of the December Saturdays without college football.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
I would do away with Thursday night outside of the opener and Thanksgiving Day games. Also get rid of the Saturday games in December.
If they an on keeping them they need to figure out how to give both teams more rest. The most obvious solution being to make the season one week longer by adding a second by week.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 PM

484 posts, read 467,681 times
I think they should go away at least for the first half of the season. The football is just bad in most of these games.
That said, I do like having the extra games later in the year when baseball is done and college football is winding down. Having them from, say, Week 10 forward undoes a lot of the scheduling stipulations and could lead to better matchups or better quality of play.
Personally, and I know this will not happen, I'd like to see the NFL schedule go back to what it was in the early 90s. Season opens Labor Day weekend and you get 2-3 games every Saturday the final couple weeks of the season (one on CBS, one on Fox, one on NFL Network), from say early December on. Those were a treat.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
The TNF matchups have been increasingly bad. Then again, last year's MNF slate was horrific as well. I can see the objections to TNF, but until last season I usually tuned in because I liked the game enough that I still wanted to see what was going to happen. In 2016 watched probably half the amount of football that I'd watched in 2015. Between lame prime time matchups, idiots getting all the press (Kap), it was easy to just do something else.

If the league is not going to do away with these TNF games I wish they'd add another week to the season and give each team two bye weeks, just as Bill the Butcher suggested.

I do wish they'd put an end to that idiotic color rush thing. And I do like the league's attempt to improve the TNF slate by putting more divisional matchups on display. But there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:47 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
LOL, these threads really crack me up. The league expanded their Thursday night games by 25% last year and are heading in the opposite direction of ending their Thursday games. Their TV contracts with CBS and NBC were worth $450 million to the owners last year...each game shown on Thursday night put about $1.5 million into each team's pocket. So yeah, don't hold your breath at hoping this trend will end any time soon.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
It seems to me that the NFL's original use of a Thursday was a Thursday Night Edition of Monday Night Football, which I believe then needed to be moved to Friday Night.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Great as far as revenue, awful as far as players and fans. Players have to play on short rest, fans get a diluted product. TNF ain't going anywhere but should disappear.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
It makes to much sense to just add another bye week I don't know why they don't do it. It makes the NFL look like they care about player safety which helps their image and it adds additional revenue with one more Sunday, Monday and Thursday Night game on the schedule.

I actually happen to really like the Bills red color Rush uniforms but I know that is a hotly debated topic with some Bills fans not liking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football