U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree with you other than day 1 starter.

You've got Savage.. Who isn't going to set the world on fire.. But let Watson sit behind him for at least half the season. Let him see the game. Let him observe, let him hold the clipboard and learn
Now, that could change based on what you see in practice from him.. If he's setting the world on fire in practice.. Sure, name him the starter.. Especially if Savage is stinking the joint up. But don't put the weight of the world on his shoulders from the get go when you don't have to.

I do think Houston is the perfect fit for him.. Former teammate there in Hopkins. They CAN allow him some time to develop.

I think he's the QB winner in this draft. The only QB taken in the first round that a team didn't overspend to get.
I would only maybe agree because of that fact that there are actuall expecations in Houston to make the playoffs. With most rookie QBs, they end up on teams that do not have playoff expecations so they have less pressure I guess. But the trend has definitely been to throw these guys into the fire day one. Carr, Dalton, Mariotta, Wentz they were all guys that were thought to need a little more time or sitting on the bench with a clipboard, but they were thrown in right away and have had success. Lately, it seems the guys who end up sitting with a clipboard to start there careers never end up making it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 06:48 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
Because of Aaron Rodgers, I think it really depends on the player, organization, certainly didn't hurt him to sit and I would say he has made it!

I think a player like Manziel would have been better off to sit a few years if he had gone to a more structured, stick to the rules organization.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
What's unfair about it? If you trade your first round pick for a mediocre QB, don't cry that the rule is unfair.
As an Eagles fan, I would like to thank the Vikings for giving them a 1st round pick, which ended up being Derek Barnett.
that was a horrible waste of a pick, I had him as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder

Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,191,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that was a horrible waste of a pick, I had him as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder
Unless you are an NFL scout, your opinion doesn't mean diddly squat.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Drew Pearson nailed it with his speech this evening!
Vince McMahon should give Drew a call. Dude would make a great living on the mic in WWE as a heel.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 AM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
This post will probably not be popular since I'm talking about Joe Mixon FYI.

I'm happy that Joe Mixon is getting an opportunity in the NFL. Sorry not sorry. But he may have gone to the worst possible situation for himself in Cincinnati. He has a coach who can't keep his players in check and Burfict and Pacman in the locker room. I really hope he stays out of trouble and gives himself a chance to succeed.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:13 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Because of Aaron Rodgers, I think it really depends on the player, organization, certainly didn't hurt him to sit and I would say he has made it!

I think a player like Manziel would have been better off to sit a few years if he had gone to a more structured, stick to the rules organization.
That was over a decade ago though Susan. Seems things have changed. Many QBs get thrown in right away now from day one and do just fine.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:09 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:

Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
because NFL scouts have never been wrong

Old 04-29-2017, 05:11 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
when it comes to rookie quarterbacks, if they have the chops to play in the NFL as a starter, then it doesnt matter if they sit a season or two and learn the offense, or start right away, they will generally ultimately succeed in the game. i will note aikeman and prescott as well as carr and others over the years.

on the other hand there are quarterbacks that should be and remain as back ups, like steve burlein. he backed u aieman for a few years, then went to the panthers and was a halfway decent starter, but never set the world on fire.

as for this years draft, i like the picks the cowboys made. two wide receivers, and the rest were defensive players. interesting they took taco carlton over tj watt though, but e shall see how carlton does for dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football