U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,861,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Oh.. handful of other notes.. Chad Kelly.. Mr Irrelevant. I'll be surprised if he even makes the practice squad.
Given his history there is the risk he has a melt down mentally away from the football field. But otherwise, if he can finally get his head screwed on straight I don't see why he can't at least compete with Lynch for the #2 spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,861,479 times
Quote:
My concern with Watson is his accuracy.
I really like Watson. But if I have a concern it may be this: Ball Velocity

I never even new about or considered ball velocity until I stumbled upon it earlier this year.

Does Ball Velocity Tell Us Anything About QB Success? - RotoViz

The link above shows the measured ball velocity numbers for most of the QBs to be drafted over the last 8 years. While having an average or high ball velocity does not correlate with guaranteed success, with all due respect to Tyord Taylor (50mph) who I love, there really isn't a single example of a successful QB with a ball velocity at 52mph or below. Watson was measured at 49mph. Did he just have an off day? Does he throw with more velocity in games than he does in shorts? Will this doom him in the NFL? I don't know, but the link and the list of players with velocity numbers around Watson's is pretty damning.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:29 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Quote:
..Bridgewater was a bad example. They actually didn't start him until.. Was it week 7 or so in his rookie year? But the thing about your post.. I thought the 5th year was guaranteed due to injury? At least the money. They're paying that $13M regardless of whether he's on the roster or not. The only thing they gain by releasing him is a roster spot, which.. With IR doesn't really matter.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works. That's why the Redskins made RG3 the 3rd string QB his 4th year there.
you may be right as I'll admit I can't keep track of all the options, cap space, dead money, etc. but everything I've seen shows only 2017 as guaranteed, with the deadline for the option (for 2018) coming within a couple days so we'll probably know more then. I believe if they put him on the PUP list they "buy" another year so could have him under contract for 2018 for the same terms as this year...(?)

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

seems that the Bradford trade wasn't so one-sided after all

Old 04-30-2017, 03:12 PM

4,986 posts, read 11,062,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

I never even new about or considered ball velocity until I stumbled upon it earlier this year.

The link above shows the measured ball velocity numbers for most of the QBs to be drafted over the last 8 years. While having an average or high ball velocity does not correlate with guaranteed success, with all due respect to Tyord Taylor (50mph) who I love, there really isn't a single example of a successful QB with a ball velocity at 52mph or below. Watson was measured at 49mph. Did he just have an off day? Does he throw with more velocity in games than he does in shorts? Will this doom him in the NFL? I don't know, but the link and the list of players with velocity numbers around Watson's is pretty damning.
Not damning at all, I have seen this data before and the key statement from this "study" that is buried at the bottom of your link says it all..

"The number of QBs that were invited and chose not to throw (62) means that 39.7 percent were assigned no value at all, and does weaken the conclusions that can be made about the sample."

A "study" purporting to support a hypothesis that doesn't include close to HALF of the QB's at the combine over the past 9 years???

Greg Gabriel: Is a quarterback's velocity an indicator of how good he will be in the NFL? | Green Bay Packers and NFL | host.madison.com

Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,556,423 times
I think it still comes down to where the player ends up, coaches, what is stressed, do they concentrate solely on the QBs? What good is great velocity if they aren't getting all around good coaching.

Brady and Rodgers both are very obsessive personalities and they work at everything (Brees probably, too)! Rodgers never misses any time when it comes to practice, working with the back up QBs and scout team. He might be tough for the young guys to deal with sometimes but he is always there. Doesn't think because he is an older player he can skip, never does. Peyton was the same way, obsessive about details, practice, working hard at his craft.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,235,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
because NFL scouts have never been wrong
Colts releasing director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others from scouting department, per league sources.‬

The Bills have dismissed their entire scouting staff.‬

Old 04-30-2017, 06:11 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,556,423 times
I don't get moves like this, right around the draft and the Bills is really a strange situation.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM

5,188 posts, read 3,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

Yeah, I heard this from one of the talk radio pundits a few weeks ago. Good Lord, analytics are running wild. Next thing you know they'll be measuring the length of their big toes vis--vis success rates.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:13 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
The Bears trading up 1 spot to draft somebody that was likely going to be there at #3 anyways is one of the stupidest draft day decisions I have EVER seen!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Bears trading up 1 spot to draft somebody that was likely going to be there at #3 anyways is one of the stupidest draft day decisions I have EVER seen!

hard to argue that but, in 2003 the Vikings bungled their allotted 10 minute window with the #7 pick and fell two places before selecting 5-time Pro Bowler Kevin Williams with the 9th pick. Carolina & Jacksonville leap-frogged the Vikings to select Jordan Gross and Byron Leftwich respectively.

Remembering The Time The Vikings Missed Their First-Round Draft Pick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football