U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:57 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,298,527 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy but,if you remember last year when Garoppolo filled in for Brady ,he was doing so well that many thought it would turn out like the Brady/Bledsoe situation.He was so good that people were calling for him to keep the starting job.
We can't afford to lose him because he just might be the next Tom Brady.....he is that good.
So why not use BOTH of them until Brady retires.It would mean Tom would have to swallow his ego but he would remain fresh and be able to play longer if they were sharing the duties.
Get Belichick on the phone....have him call me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM

9,471 posts, read 7,141,437 times
QB by committee or 'platooning'.. The only time I've actually heard of that turning out even halfway decently was Billy Kilmer/Sonny Jurgenson.

Looking it up, three times it's happened. Kilmer/Jurgenson, Staubach/Morton, Waterfield/Van Brocklin

It didn't end well in any of them.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,252,408 times
Not going to work.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:22 PM

32,540 posts, read 26,449,683 times
agreed, its not going to work. that system needs QBs that are willing to be platooned, either every other quarter, or every other game. the problem however isnt the QBs but rather the rest of the team. you get used to one QBs cadence, and how they call the plays, among other things, and to switch QBs in mid stream throws a wrench into everything.

the better thing to do if the patriots want to keep garoppolo around long term is to pay him well.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Call me crazy but,if you remember last year when Garoppolo filled in for Brady ,he was doing so well that many thought it would turn out like the Brady/Bledsoe situation.He was so good that people were calling for him to keep the starting job.
I guess I missed the cacophony of calls for replacing Brady with Garappolo permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We can't afford to lose him because he just might be the next Tom Brady.....he is that good.
Anybody 'might' be. But, no, there is no affirmative reason to think that he is. There's no particularly reason to think that any specific quarterback at present is. And it is completely silly to make such claims based on one solid, though unspectacular, start (sorry - when you go 24 of 33 for 264 yards and a touchdown it's a nice first start but the Hall of Fame ain't calling and begging for your jersey) and one very good half that ended with an injury.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,381,767 times
An easier solution would be to trade Brady. At 39, he's an old old man. Out with old . . .

Old 05-02-2017, 05:23 PM

4,990 posts, read 11,080,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
An easier solution would be to trade Brady. At 39, he's an old old man. Out with old . . .
Wasn't too old to beat down that sorry excuse for an Atlanta defense in the Super Bowl now was he???

Maybe the Falcons should trade for Garoppolo, he's less likely to pull the choke job Ryan did

Old 05-02-2017, 06:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,381,767 times
I was being sarcastic. No team's going to bench or let alone trade the QB the season after winning a super bowl.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:23 PM

4,990 posts, read 11,080,551 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. No team's going to bench or let alone trade the QB the season after winning a super bowl.
Maybe not the season after, but I have to say the fact that BB was unwilling to part with Garoppolo THIS year when he could have gotten a king's ransom does make me wonder what his long term plans are for Brady vs Garoppolo..

Father time is undefeated and while I hope Brady can play at the same high level for another 2-3 years (which I think is more reasonable than the 5-7 Brady is talking about) Belichick has been pretty consistent during his tenure of getting rid of veterans a year or two BEFORE they hit the wall

Will Brady be any different???

It will be interesting to see what happens next offseason, regardless of how Brady plays since it will then be fish or cut bait time with Garoppolo...

Brady's own father was asked a year or so ago about how Tom's time will end in Foxboro...

Brady's father, also named Tom, thinks his son's determination to keep playing won't go over well with Patriots brass, eventually.
"It will end badly," he told the magazine.
Tom Brady's dad: 'It will end badly' in New England - CBSSports.com

Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 AM

9,471 posts, read 7,141,437 times
Quote:
See.. The problem with talking in absolutes is.. Trent Dilfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or