U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,511,925 times

Advertisements

This also isnt ESPN/Disney/ABC's first layoff. This is the first with front facing air talent. They have had at least two other layoffs, but they were more behind the scenes staffers. This is just part of the business...any business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,149,139 times
ESPN has screwed themselves with some very poor contracts in the past that they cannot get out of. With more and more people cutting their cable services, this was pretty much expected.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:30 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
don't watch much ESPN anyway.. too many other (better) options, IMO!

Old 05-09-2017, 05:02 PM

4,983 posts, read 11,050,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
don't watch much ESPN anyway.. too many other (better) options, IMO!
After the hatchet job they did to the Patriots over Deflategate I stopped watching them entirely......karma baby

Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
After the hatchet job they did to the Patriots over Deflategate I stopped watching them entirely......karma baby
Which is a microcosm of the overall problem. ESPN very clearly has an agenda in terms of swaying public opinion, also which teams and athletes are considered "relevant". Case in point....Tiger Woods, who hasn't been truly relevant in the PGA for how long, yet he makes ESPN news with bated breath from the anchors. Other case in point, certain NFL teams who almost never receive coverage of games or recaps on Sportscenter.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,415,158 times
This just means more hosts and announcers yelling and acting like idiots in order to get attention. ESPN is no longer about sports, but is about "Look at me- I'm acting like a total fool"!

Old 05-11-2017, 11:02 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
I used to watch ESPN religiously, especially for Sports Center. But, that was before the internet age and before the age of all of these annoying sports debate shows and the politics that have crept into ESPN.

The NFL really should try to find a new home for Monday Night Football, preferably off cable. I think part of the reason why the NFL lost viewership is because of cord cutting, and a lot of those cutting the cord are willing to find illegal streams online.

The only time I ever watch ESPN is for NFL and College Football. I don't even watch College basketball like I used to, and almost never watch the NBA.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 1,373,991 times
still can't believe Ed was let go by ESPN. He was one of my favorite NFL reporters on ESPN.

NFL Countdown will truly be unwatchable this upcoming season without Berman, Werder, and Dilfer.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 AM

6,614 posts, read 10,675,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I used to watch ESPN religiously, especially for Sports Center. But, that was before the internet age and before the age of all of these annoying sports debate shows and the politics that have crept into ESPN.
I haven't watched any pre-game or post-game shows since the 1980s, when really that's all you had on game day, either that or sports phone (who remembers, 999-1313 or something like that?)

Indeed, in this the internet age, full post-game highlights on youtube and such only hours after a game, with no stupid comments and only one commercial at the beginning.

Unfortunately cheap political theater and fake news have contaminated not only ESPN but almost all aspects of public life, there are fewer and fewer refuges from the idiocy.

Regarding football, the contamination is at the point where I turn on about 2-5 minutes after kick-off to avoid the national anthem and game announcers commentary - well worth it even if I miss an opening drive for a score -, then I keep the sound down to a minimum and ignore commercials.

This year with my home team playing the dreaded London game on Sunday at the ungodly 9:30AM and, worse because too late for me, several night games, including the disastrous Thursday, I just may get NFL Game Pass which, I believe, allows viewing of recorded full games with no commercials instantly after the live game has ended.

Good enough. I don't know, maybe the NFL is doing this on purpose to gain a direct audience, bypassing the fat media outlets.

Last edited by bale002; 05-12-2017 at 03:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 06:52 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I haven't watched any pre-game or post-game shows since the 1980s, when really that's all you had on game day, either that or sports phone (who remembers, 999-1313 or something like that?)

Indeed, in this the internet age, full post-game highlights on youtube and such only hours after a game, with no stupid comments and only one commercial at the beginning.

Unfortunately cheap political theater and fake news have contaminated not only ESPN but almost all aspects of public life, there are fewer and fewer refuges from the idiocy.

Regarding football, the contamination is at the point where I turn on about 2-5 minutes after kick-off to avoid the national anthem and game announcers commentary - well worth it even if I miss an opening drive for a score -, then I keep the sound down to a minimum and ignore commercials.

This year with my home team playing the dreaded London game on Sunday at the ungodly 9:30AM and, worse because too late for me, several night games, including the disastrous Thursday, I just may get NFL Game Pass which, I believe, allows viewing of recorded full games with no commercials instantly after the live game has ended.

Good enough. I don't know, maybe the NFL is doing this on purpose to gain a direct audience, bypassing the fat media outlets.
It's quite possible. Even the NFL has to see that cord cutting and the internet is affecting the great, almighty ESPN, and they need to realize that fans are living in the age where watching a game or a television show in "time-shift" mode is what a great deal of people do nowadays. The 9:30AM format for London games is idiotic. My team had an early London game last year, and it was just odd watching the game at that time. Normally, I'm not even home on Sunday at 9:30 in the morning.

I was thinking that you had to wait until all of the games on Sunday afternoon ended before you could watch your game, but if it is setup to where you could watch your game as soon as it ends live on the Game Pass, I might would consider taking out a subscription to Game Pass too. I don't have cable or Satellite, and sometimes, the channel I watch my team on doesn't tune in on game day, so I'm forced into trying to find an illegal stream, which are usually poor quality and if you do find a good quality stream, it stops in the middle of the game.

My only problem is staying away from the internet or my phone while the game is on. My phone will actually send me updates on the score. My family does the same thing. So, I'd hate to have the outcome spoiled before I have a chance to watch the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or