U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:55 PM

28,446 posts, read 15,427,246 times

Advertisements

Werder goes into much more detail about the layoffs, including the mention of others laid off that did not make it public.

Ex-ESPN reporter Ed Werder says quality of work was Ďnot a considerationí in mass layoffs

And so when they finished telling me I was laid off, they said this was effective immediately, and the next thing they told me to do as a former employee of ESPN was stay and cover the Saintsí draft, which seemed like an odd way to begin your unemployment. But it seemed like it was my option, and I chose not to. I just didnít feel like it was the right place for me to be, alone in a hotel room and then out in public as a former employee, representing ESPN with the New Orleans Saints.

Itís not the quality of your work thatís a factor. Well, it causes me to wonder, what is ESPN about? Because I thought it was about news and information and highlights, and Iím not sure that is the point of emphasis anymore. How is ESPN going to cover the NFL without all of the people who lost their jobs. What happens without Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworksi to NFL Matchup? What happens to NFL Insiders without a number of analysts, former general managers like Joe Banner and Mark Dominik. Are we really about to see a time when ESPN can no longer afford to cover its most valuable property in the way that it has?

Roger Goodell was apparently upset about all of these layoffs as well.

The podcast is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,463,821 times
That is just how layoffs go, no matter what the industry. There is no fair way to do it. Do you lay off the last people hired? The people working in unprofitable divisions? It's tough. I was laid off once and I was the lowest paid person in my department, but I understood. I think where possible companies should offer buy outs for long-term employees to retire early, but of course they are under no obligation to do so.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
They get rid of quality journalists like Ed Werder while hanging on to no-talent carnival barkers like Dan Le Batard and Stephen A. Smith. ESPN's now aiming for the lowest common denominator.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM

Well, it's not SEPN... It's ESPN.

Entertainment first...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Werder goes into much more detail about the layoffs, including the mention of others laid off that did not make it public.

Ex-ESPN reporter Ed Werder says quality of work was Ďnot a considerationí in mass layoffs

And so when they finished telling me I was laid off, they said this was effective immediately, and the next thing they told me to do as a former employee of ESPN was stay and cover the Saintsí draft, which seemed like an odd way to begin your unemployment. But it seemed like it was my option, and I chose not to. I just didnít feel like it was the right place for me to be, alone in a hotel room and then out in public as a former employee, representing ESPN with the New Orleans Saints.

Itís not the quality of your work thatís a factor. Well, it causes me to wonder, what is ESPN about? Because I thought it was about news and information and highlights, and Iím not sure that is the point of emphasis anymore. How is ESPN going to cover the NFL without all of the people who lost their jobs. What happens without Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworksi to NFL Matchup? What happens to NFL Insiders without a number of analysts, former general managers like Joe Banner and Mark Dominik. Are we really about to see a time when ESPN can no longer afford to cover its most valuable property in the way that it has?

The podcast is here.
I went through the infamous Circuit City layoff in 2007. The highest paid employees got the shaft. Not coincidentally, they were the most knowledgeable and well liked by customers. Think y'all know how that turned out for CC. For the most part, companies avoid quality of work in favor of short term cost savings in layoff situations. Ed Werder had a high quality of work IMO, but ESPN was more concerned with saving $$.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I went through the infamous Circuit City layoff in 2007. The highest paid employees got the shaft. Not coincidentally, they were the most knowledgeable and well liked by customers. Think y'all know how that turned out for CC. For the most part, companies avoid quality of work in favor of short term cost savings in layoff situations. Ed Werder had a high quality of work IMO, but ESPN was more concerned with saving $$.
I don't entirely think so. Yes - they want to save money, but they are not focused on cutting on high dollar & high talent people. I think they have a plan on wear they want to go, and it's more in the direction of a mix of entertainment and sports - rather than strictly sports.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,120,546 times
Personally, I don't believe anyone really knows what ESPN is doing. We're all basically left to give it our best guess.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The podcast is here.
Really out of his lane. He has his hands full with the NFL.

Sorry about firings, and layoffs, but that's the nature of the business.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:08 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,557,400 times
Most of them are getting paid to sit at home and do nothing, so I'm not exactly sure where it is they're saving $ if they're paying them the same regardless if they work or not.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Using a bucket wasn't going to keep the Titanic afloat, either.

saying that laying off the highest paid employees caused or even contributed is similar. Yeah, it didn't help, but that ship was going down one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or