U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,468,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Various news outlets appear vexed that NFL teams are not signing Colin Kaepernick, citing the fact that other apparently less qualified quarterbacks are being signed while he is left unemployed. They then go on to state the obvious as if it were Revelation: that he is being blackballed for his political expression.

Well guess what? It is perfectly reasonable and acceptable not to want to hire someone who is an irrational turncoat rabble-rouser who sees fit to inject his personal political views where they are not wanted and don't belong.

So I support NFL teams that specifically do want to hire him because of his political views and propensity to express them improperly and inappropriately in the workplace.

Judgment for NFL.

Absolutely. He has the right to express himself freely, and the right to experience the consequences of that. Lesson: don't mix politics with football (As Michael Jordan once famously said, "Republicans buy sneakers too.")

Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in fact i would prefer to go with RGlll as a starter over kaepernick, especially if RGlll were to be that mobile quarterback he was in his first season.
That isn't happening either. RG3 was used slap up for his career by the time that Seattle game in 2012 came around.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,339,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That isn't happening either. RG3 was used slap up for his career by the time that Seattle game in 2012 came around.
you wouldnt kid me on that would you

Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
hope he signs with somebody if for no other reason than to annoy the half-dozen red-necks that make believe they care about the NFL

Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 1,332,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hope he signs with somebody if for no other reason than to annoy the half-dozen red-necks that make believe they care about the NFL
Sounds like you've got a real good feel for how broad the NFL's reach is.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM

35,203 posts, read 32,177,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Kaep's main problem is that he's a legend in his own mind. I think he's got an overvalued sense of his worth based on one solid season. See Osweiler, Brock.
Perfect

Running QB who turned one dimensional. The political thing just sealed his fate

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-18-2017 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 AM

23,647 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I don't want to keep arguing the point but watching him last year, he doesn't have more upside. He really makes major mistakes every time he has the ball if he can't take off and run. Teams aren't doing this out of spite, bottom line is if a team needs a player, they will sign them. Thirty two teams doing something for spite, don't think so.
While I don't disagree that he can be mistake prone at times, I still can't agree that the protest he did isn't affecting his ability to get a deal when looking at the deals worse QBs got.

Matt Barkley got a contract in FA. His stat line last year was 8 TDs against 14 INTs including 5 in one game. Kaepernick had 16 TDs vs 4 INTs. Kaepernick won't be a world beater anymore but I'd trust him over Barkley any day if my starter was out.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
While I don't disagree that he can be mistake prone at times, I still can't agree that the protest he did isn't affecting his ability to get a deal when looking at the deals worse QBs got.

Matt Barkley got a contract in FA. His stat line last year was 8 TDs against 14 INTs including 5 in one game. Kaepernick had 16 TDs vs 4 INTs. Kaepernick won't be a world beater anymore but I'd trust him over Barkley any day if my starter was out.
If you're a star player who acts like a tool teams will look the other way (Terrell Owens, Pacman Jones, Aqib Talib). Kaepernick doesn't have the talent to overcome his baggage.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM

7,954 posts, read 7,918,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Absolutely. He has the right to express himself freely, and the right to experience the consequences of that. Lesson: don't mix politics with football (As Michael Jordan once famously said, "Republicans buy sneakers too.")
I'm glad he is being overlooked. I can't stand phony SJWs and enjoy when they get triggered and defeated. I note that he is now willing to stand because his "point has been made". Yeah, right, how entertaining that the principle of shifting principles has been invoked once he is losing money.

Some stupid desperate team will pick him up at some point. But for now he is in his safe space and without the privilege to make dopey political statements on the private property of others. Good for him. Roosting chicken often come home, and sometimes make a proper mess.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,278,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
If the NFL is going to play the national anthem before a game, where it has no place, then he has the right of protest. The NFL starts this by pretending their sport has anything to do with anything, and trying to connect it to patriotism. It's a professional for profit sport, the anthem has no place here. So that's what it is, he exercised his rights and people seems obtuse to that fact. Deny him his rights and you open the door for your rights to be denied.
Kaepernick absolutely has the right to protest. But publicity-conscious NFL teams absolutely have the right to decline to employ him as well.

To be clear, I do not have an issue with Kaepernick not standing during a song. Not one bit. But people mistakenly think of sports as al about performance. It's not. It's about putting butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV screen. Football players are just as much celebrities than they are athletes. Personal conduct is going to play a role.

Anyway, he didn't stand during a song! That's serious! I mean, if he beat a child bloody with a stick, or killed someone driving drunk, then he'd deserve a second chance. But not standing during a song? One strike and you're out!

Of course, in the final analysis, what Kaepernick did is politically incorrect. He refused to adhere to a social norm and people are offended by his refusal. Social norms are enforced by social disapprobation against those who decline to play by the rules. Now he's being punished for it. There's no little amount of irony in that the people who are most upset with his political incorrectness, and loudest in their demand that he be punished for it, are among the group that usually whines the loudest about what a horrible and terrible scourge political correctness supposedly is (they get out of this by claiming that it's only political correctness if someone else, not them, are the ones offended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football