U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM

10,674 posts, read 11,078,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Settle a tie game with a field goal kicking contest .

Put the foot back into the game of football.
I'd rather see the two head coaches do a duel with pistols. They start at the 50, 10 paces, turn and fire!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 PM

4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
If you want closure then make enough plays to win the game in regulation. If you can't then that is your (player and team) fault.
That's a silly stance. All of the 4 major pro sports have contingencies to deal with ties that occur in regulation, only 2 of the sports actually allow ties to stand. What the NFL has done will almost certainly result in more ties which is not what anyone wants...

Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
That's a silly stance. All of the 4 major pro sports have contingencies to deal with ties that occur in regulation, only 2 of the sports actually allow ties to stand. What the NFL has done will almost certainly result in more ties which is not what anyone wants...
Meh, it won't effect the popularity of the game one bit to have more ties. An in the name of player safety it's probably best to not have players on the field for much more than 60 minutes.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 PM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Look if I'm a player, I want a resolution to a game. I don't want experience pain for 3-4 hours to go home with a tie. At least with a loss I get closure of some sort. Ties don't cut it.
Then your coach should have went for 2.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It will result in more ties. This should not be an issue. The incessant need for some resolution, any resolution (no matter how absurd) to a game, speaks to the fact that some fans simply need to be spoon-fed a winner. There's nothing wrong with two teams battling to a draw in a football game.

And that's infinitely better...

...than throwing football completely out the window and playing some idiotic game of two-point conversion shootout (ie, not football) just because some fans can't handle a deadlocked match.

Florio's idea is right up there with a home-run derby after the 12th inning to decide baseball games, or a game of horse from three-point range to decide basketball games tied after five minutes of overtime, or the inane shootout in hockey.
I agree with you on the 2 pt conversion and loved your home run derby analogy. But I disagree about ties being OK. As a fan of a team that played to a rare tie last year I can tell you when both fan bases are unhappy after the game that's not a good situation that should be avoided if possible. So shortening the OT period makes no sense to me, especially with the fairly new rule where an opening drive FG means play on..

Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 AM

6,604 posts, read 10,666,988 times
The men who comprise the NFL owners association make their own calculations, but personally I see nothing wrong with ties at the end of regulation time and I agree that player safety must be the number one priority (I can't give Bill the Butcher any more rep right now), otherwise in a decade or two there may not even be an NFL.

But, like I said, the owners make their own calculations.

If they must have overtime, then the previous sudden death rules, with no contingencies, was the best way to go.

It gets a bit tiring when they tinker with the rules and scheduling every year, it seems, except for those changes that enhance player safety and injury avoidance.

Again, the NFL faces an existential threat with the increasing awareness of lifelong player impairment.

But, worth repeating, the owners make their own calculations.

At the same time, however, the fans (the consumer) have significant input too. At some point they may just say no.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:52 AM

144 posts, read 256,423 times
I hate ties and I don't really have an issue with this. If NEITHER team can get those points on the board or those key stops in an ADDITIONAL 10 minutes of play, then they deserve the damn tie.

I was watching that TEDIOUS Cardinals/Seahawks game last season. That wasn't ALL great defense. Those teams could NOT score in regulation, and it just continued in OT. Makeable short FGs were missed by both teams, that game should've been over, but it dragged on and on and on, and some people have to work next morning and the damn thing ended in a tie, so anticlimactic. I would've gotten 30+ minutes more sleep that night if this rule had already been in place and missed out on nothing.

Also people are not reading or appreciating the stat already posted: "Though for what it’s worth, only about a quarter of OT games over the last five seasons have lasted longer than 10 minutes."

So statistically, going by specific, recent history, which includes OT play where opening FG doesn't end the game but an opening TD does, these OT games aren't generally even going beyond the 10 minute mark most of the time.
A 4 quarter game can already last for around 4 hours...these near full 15 minute OT games can push games to the 5+ hour range, that is BASEBALL territory, and I DO NOT WATCH full baseball games. NFL games do not need to be that long. There are so many injuries and wear and tear as it is in 4 quarter games. Hell, EVERY YEAR teams are losing KEY personnel in training camp and the pre-season.

If anything this should light an even greater fire under coaches and coordinators to play more aggressively in OT, on offense and defense, knowing you have less time. They don't want ties any more than the fans do.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
I hate ties and I don't really have an issue with this. If NEITHER team can get those points on the board or those key stops in an ADDITIONAL 10 minutes of play, then they deserve the damn tie.

I was watching that TEDIOUS Cardinals/Seahawks game last season. That wasn't ALL great defense. Those teams could NOT score in regulation, and it just continued in OT. Makeable short FGs were missed by both teams, that game should've been over, but it dragged on and on and on, and some people have to work next morning and the damn thing ended in a tie, so anticlimactic. I would've gotten 30+ minutes more sleep that night if this rule had already been in place and missed out on nothing.

Also people are not reading or appreciating the stat already posted: "Though for what its worth, only about a quarter of OT games over the last five seasons have lasted longer than 10 minutes."

So statistically, going by specific, recent history, which includes OT play where opening FG doesn't end the game but an opening TD does, these OT games aren't generally even going beyond the 10 minute mark most of the time.
A 4 quarter game can already last for around 4 hours...these near full 15 minute OT games can push games to the 5+ hour range, that is BASEBALL territory, and I DO NOT WATCH full baseball games. NFL games do not need to be that long. There are so many injuries and wear and tear as it is in 4 quarter games. Hell, EVERY YEAR teams are losing KEY personnel in training camp and the pre-season.

If anything this should light an even greater fire under coaches and coordinators to play more aggressively in OT, on offense and defense, knowing you have less time. They don't want ties any more than the fans do.
I am bolding that sentence because I have come up with a scenario: what happens if the team that receives the kickoff in OT takes the football, and consumes almost the entire 10 minutes on their drive, then scores a FG? Hell, what if they score a TD, and let's say the drive takes 9 minutes and 40 seconds? Unlikely? Yes. Without precedent? Hell no. The Giants in Super Bowl 25 took 9 minutes off the clock in the beginning of the second half against the Bills. Now, has a drive gone for 15 minutes? I can't ever recall something like that. But I can recall some very long drives approaching 10 minutes.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:43 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I am bolding that sentence because I have come up with a scenario: what happens if the team that receives the kickoff in OT takes the football, and consumes almost the entire 10 minutes on their drive, then scores a FG? Hell, what if they score a TD, and let's say the drive takes 9 minutes and 40 seconds? Unlikely? Yes. Without precedent? Hell no. The Giants in Super Bowl 25 took 9 minutes off the clock in the beginning of the second half against the Bills. Now, has a drive gone for 15 minutes? I can't ever recall something like that. But I can recall some very long drives approaching 10 minutes.
Well again, my own personal view, if your defense lets an offense posses the ball for an entire 10 minute drive do you really deserve to win anyway? Complaining that we didn't get a chance for our offense to posses the ball would be one of the very last things I would be complaining about. That's for sure. There would be plenty of other things to scrutinize.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
I thought I had commented on this during the summer, but I guess not.

The 10 minute OT is incredibly stupid. Shaving 5 minutes off of 1 quarter isn't going to help safety all that much, and it doesn't make sense if they want to get rid of ties, so it doesn't make sense in either regard. Last year there were 2 ties (back to back weeks too I believe) the first time I EVER recall there being 2 ties in a season, and actually if you remember last year we could've ended with 2 or 3 more ties as well. I think there were like 5 or 6 games last year that went past the 10 minute mark of OT (including the 2 ties) with the Chiefs avoiding a tie with the Broncos with that doinker field goal that hit off the 1 goal post and snuck through the other, and the Raiders had an OT game against either the Bucs or Titans that they ended up winning in the final 40 seconds of overtime.

If the NFL is really concerned about safety and the reason they are dropping the time in the first place, just finish in a tie after 60. If you are going to finish in a tie after 70 or 75 anyways, why not tie after 60?? And really, how many games get to overtime anyways?? Less than 10 per season out of a 256 game schedule, so about 4% per year?? Hardly seems worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or