Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:24 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

https://mobile.twitter.com/judybatti...14455682719745

The IT period going to 10 minutes is an AWFUL idea. This will likely result in more ties which should be eliminated in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Report: NFL Expected To Shorten Overtime

For approval...

Back in March, the competition committee proposed the shortening of preseason and regular-season overtime periods because they believed it put certain teams at a disadvantage—those which played a full OT, up to 25 percent more snaps than everyone else, on a Sunday, then had to come back on short rest for a Thursday game.

Against approval...

Mike Florio doesn’t like the idea. He thinks a 10-minute overtime period will result in a different kind of competitive disadvantage, for teams that kick off to start overtime and then won’t be able to complete their offensive possession without having to go no-huddle or running out of time. That’s a fair criticism. Though for what it’s worth, only about a quarter of OT games over the last five seasons have lasted longer than 10 minutes.

Florio suggests having a two-point conversion shootout instead of OT.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The IT period going to 10 minutes is an AWFUL idea. This will likely result in more ties which should be eliminated in the first place.
It will result in more ties. This should not be an issue. The incessant need for some resolution, any resolution (no matter how absurd) to a game, speaks to the fact that some fans simply need to be spoon-fed a winner. There's nothing wrong with two teams battling to a draw in a football game.

And that's infinitely better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Florio suggests having a two-point conversion shootout instead of OT.
...than throwing football completely out the window and playing some idiotic game of two-point conversion shootout (ie, not football) just because some fans can't handle a deadlocked match.

Florio's idea is right up there with a home-run derby after the 12th inning to decide baseball games, or a game of horse from three-point range to decide basketball games tied after five minutes of overtime, or the inane shootout in hockey.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:24 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
I hate this idea. That means we may end up seeing more ties.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It will result in more ties. This should not be an issue. The incessant need for some resolution, any resolution (no matter how absurd) to a game, speaks to the fact that some fans simply need to be spoon-fed a winner. There's nothing wrong with two teams battling to a draw in a football game.

...than throwing football completely out the window and playing some idiotic game of two-point conversion shootout (ie, not football) just because some fans can't handle a deadlocked match.

Florio's idea is right up there with a home-run derby after the 12th inning to decide baseball games, or a game of horse from three-point range to decide basketball games tied after five minutes of overtime, or the inane shootout in hockey.
That would be dandy but there aren't near the number of games in a NFL season.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with two teams battling to a draw in a football game.
I completely agree. Nothing wrong with more ties. As long as a winning percentage and playoff tiebreakers can be calculated then I see no issue.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

Look if I'm a player, I want a resolution to a game. I don't want experience pain for 3-4 hours to go home with a tie. At least with a loss I get closure of some sort. Ties don't cut it.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
If you want closure then make enough plays to win the game in regulation. If you can't then that is your (player and team) fault.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I don't like ties but I don't mind this change. One thing I really don't understand is OT in preseason. There is absolutely no need for that.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Settle a tie game with a field goal kicking contest .

Put the foot back into the game of football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football