U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 03:35 AM

1,579 posts, read 982,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
For Luckman to throw 7 td's in a game, in HIS era, is an impressive stat,.. Yep, he was the first, Peyton Manning being the most recent quarterback to do it.
Double H,.. I think Nick Foles & Brees have both tossed 7 since Manning. Foles just a few weeks after Manning, and then Brees in 2015, no (?)
And for some reason, I'm remembering that Foles was pulled before the end of his 7 TD game.. He actually did it in less than 4 full quarters.. Any Eagle fans remember/confirm that (?)

Mod note-thanks for the correction-HH

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-08-2017 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 PM

929 posts, read 296,681 times
Quote:
We've had this discussion pretty much on a yearly basis. Last year it was the GOAT quarterback.

In 2011, NFL Films conducted a poll of the 100 Greatest Players in NFL History. NFL Films head honcho Steve Sabol sought out opinions over several dozen media people, current NFL coaches, former NFL coaches, and former and current NFL administration people. I won't list the entire 100, just the quarterbacks. Keep in mind, this poll was done in 2011.

100. Joe Namath
91. Fran Tarkenton
83. Norm Van Brocklin
81. Steve Young
80. Troy Aikman
51. Bart Starr
50. Terry Bradshaw
46. Roger Staubach
25. Dan Marino
23. John Elway
21. Tom Brady
20. Brett Favre
16. Otto Graham
14. Sammy Baugh
8. Peyton Manning
6. Johnny Unitas
4. Joe Montana
Not sure I'll understand ever the lack of respect for Bob Griese, especially with all the love Terry Bradshaw gets. There is a case to be a made that Griese was better; it is debatable; so having one ranked #50 from the same era, while the other isn't in the top 100 and even ranked behind Namath, I just don't get the logic.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM

16,526 posts, read 20,972,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Not sure I'll understand ever the lack of respect for Bob Griese, especially with all the love Terry Bradshaw gets. There is a case to be a made that Griese was better; it is debatable; so having one ranked #50 from the same era, while the other isn't in the top 100 and even ranked behind Namath, I just don't get the logic.
If anything hurt Bob Griese, it was the situation with the World Football League signing Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, and Paul Warfield. They could have been the team from the AFC to win 3 straight super bowls. The three players didn't sandbag, though. They had a productive 1974 season, they just happened to come out on the short end of the 1974 classic "Sea of Hands" playoff game with the Oakland Raiders.

But I believe that situation didn't help in the locker room. The players knew the 3 would jump leagues. And both Warfield and Csonka later became members of the NFL HOF. The one player who could have stepped up in Warfield's shoes-that would have been former Bronco and Bill Marlin Briscoe. He surprisingly was released, and the only player who might have made a difference in the wide receiver group was a draftee who later became a 49er--Freddy Solomon. Their other receivers were Howard Twilley and Nat Moore. They were ok-but not Paul Warfield caliber. Moore actually had a long career, he did become all pro one year.

The Bills, Jets, Colts, and Patriots had slow starts in the early 70's and by 1976 they were taking turns getting into the playoffs. Don Shula to his credit fielded a good squad but by 1977 the Dolphins slipped to a 6-8 season and couldn't separate themselves from the pack until the 1982 strike season when they got to the Super Bowl. By that time Griese had retired.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
If anything hurt Bob Griese, it was the situation with the World Football League signing Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, and Paul Warfield. They could have been the team from the AFC to win 3 straight super bowls. The three players didn't sandbag, though. They had a productive 1974 season, they just happened to come out on the short end of the 1974 classic "Sea of Hands" playoff game with the Oakland Raiders.

But I believe that situation didn't help in the locker room. The players knew the 3 would jump leagues. And both Warfield and Csonka later became members of the NFL HOF. The one player who could have stepped up in Warfield's shoes-that would have been former Bronco and Bill Marlin Briscoe. He surprisingly was released, and the only player who might have made a difference in the wide receiver group was a draftee who later became a 49er--Freddy Solomon. Their other receivers were Howard Twilley and Nat Moore. They were ok-but not Paul Warfield caliber. Moore actually had a long career, he did become all pro one year.

The Bills, Jets, Colts, and Patriots had slow starts in the early 70's and by 1976 they were taking turns getting into the playoffs. Don Shula to his credit fielded a good squad but by 1977 the Dolphins slipped to a 6-8 season and couldn't separate themselves from the pack until the 1982 strike season when they got to the Super Bowl. By that time Griese had retired.
Yes that is a key aspect worth mentioning the players who departed for the WFL. The second half of Griese's career, he didn't have nearly the talent around him Bradshaw did, yet still had a far better career TD-Int ratio and much better QB rating at the time of his retirement than Bradshaw at that juncture; and just before the major pass-friendly rule adjustments started take place. Most of the Dolphin teams of the late 70's were still good, but not on the level of the earlier teams, or those mid-late 70's Steeler teams, so Griese did shoulder more of the burden for half his career. In fact Griese's QB rating was just behind one Johnny Unitas.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Yes that is a key aspect worth mentioning the players who departed for the WFL. The second half of Griese's career, he didn't have nearly the talent around him Bradshaw did, yet still had a far better career TD-Int ratio and much better QB rating at the time of his retirement than Bradshaw at that juncture; and just before the major pass-friendly rule adjustments started take place. Most of the Dolphin teams of the late 70's were still good, but not on the level of the earlier teams, or those mid-late 70's Steeler teams, so Griese did shoulder more of the burden for half his career. In fact Griese's QB rating was just behind one Johnny Unitas.
Good post! BTW, you're a newer member here-welcome to the pro football forum!

I think Griese is also left out of the mix because of his numbers in the three super bowls he played in. In Super Bowl VI he didn't have a good day against the Cowboys, finishing with a 51 qb rating. In the other two, he passed very little, IIRC in those 2 games he passed for maybe 20 passes combined. Today's football revolves so much about stats that Griese's stats kind of get dismissed. It might not be fair, but that's just how the NFL rolls. IMO Griese could flourish in today's game, he didn't have an arm of an Elway
but he had good mobility. He also was one of the smarter qb's out there.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks DoubleH! I was also impressed with Griese's accuracy watching some of the old footage of his games in the prime of his career; that kind of precision and his smarts, coupled with that ridiculous running game and tough D made the Dolphins team that did not go undefeated one of the greatest of all-times (very underrated just how great they were per all the discussion of the undefeated team a year earlier which imo wasn't as good as the 12-2 team).

Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 4,072 times
Its widely regarded that Unitas is the "Godfather" of the QB position. I didn't see him play so not listing him....My top 5

1) Brady
2) Montana
3) Bradshaw
4) Staubach
5) Elway

Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
Otto graham
Joe Montana
Johnny unitas
Bart Starr
Bob greise

Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Maybe, but realistically comparing QBs from early years to now, hard to do and some list greats as players who are done playing not current QBs.

It is a question asking for individual opinion and Brady doesn't have to be everyone's answer. For current players, last 10 years, maybe, but considering football from the 1960's on as I do, not so much.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:15 PM

I gave thought to deleting this thread right off the get go because we have this discussion yearly and this discussion doesn't end well. The last "greatest" thread went to 236 posts before it got shut down. But the OP is a new member to the message board so I kept it on.

The thread title is Who Is Your Top 5 qb's All Time Greats." This is a poll that suggests YOUR personal choices, your personal favorites. I listed the NFL Films 2011 poll for a reason. If you list a quarterback that doesn't register on that poll I'm fine with. Off topic and snarky remarks I'm not fine with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football