U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:48 PM

4,988 posts, read 11,074,431 times

Advertisements

1. Brady...the GOAT with 5 rings and 2 of the greatest comebacks in SB history, by the time he retires will likely have every meaningful record there is for a QB. No QB in history has done more with less support on the offensive side of the ball

2. Montana...I thought Brady passed him after SB 49, definitely passed him by with 51. 5-2 > 4-0 in my book unless it is somehow better to NOT make it to more SB's

3. Unitas...the first "modern" QB

4. Elway.....probably the best arm I ever saw, finished his career with the 2 SB wins

5. Marino....my nod to not needing to win SB's to be in the top 5, followed his entire career even though he was my team's nemesis nothing but respect for his skills and intensity he brought to the game.

My pet peeve with top 5 QB lists are with Aaron Rodgers fans STILL saying he "will someday" be number 1 surpassing TB12

Not going to happen....

Rodgers is 33 and will turn 34 during next season...

In order for Rodgers to "surpass" Brady he would have to average nearly 5000 yds passing and 32 TD's each of the next 5 years just to get where Brady IS NOW, never mind that Brady will still be playing a couple more seasons at least...

Oh, and Rodgers would have to win the NEXT 5 STRAIGHT SUPERBOWLS or at least 4 out of the next 5 ....good luck with that...

Plus Rodgers relies on his legs much more than Brady, he's not as likely to playing as well at 38 as Brady did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,865,402 times
Rodgers can maybe go down as one of the greatest regular season QBs in history especially if you are big into efficiency statistics. But he is far behind in postseason success with only one Super Bowl appearance.

I'm curious where Drew Brees will end up because we are starting g to hear that he is another guy that could potentially play well into his 40's like Brady.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:59 PM

2,048 posts, read 1,118,063 times
Rather than list the greatest of all-time I'll go with a few of my favorites based on what I know about them or saw. So much goes into the making of a great QB, including having great players around him. Aikman and Montana each performed at a high level but also had great offensive players to work with.

Too young to have seen Otto Graham play, but have always thought he was underrated as he never got mentioned by announcers or sportswriters when they talked about the greatest QBs of all time. While Graham's completion percentage wasn't great he did lead the Browns to multiple championships. In one of them, if I remember the stats correctly, he had three passing TDs and three rushing TDs.

Brees doesn't get talked about much, but what he did after leaving San Diego was almost miraculous. Never would have guessed he had it in him to throw for as many yards as he has with New Orleans, especially after a serious shoulder injury.

Not saying Brian Sipe was one of the best ever but he was one of my favorites as a Browns fan. I was stationed overseas during Kosar's time in Cleveland so didn't get to see many of his games.

Montana, despite having such a great offensive unit to work with was one of the greatest. Would have to be one of the top five of all time I'd have to believe.

Tom Brady has been incredible with what he's had to work with.

Really, there have been so many great QBs throughout the decades it's almost impossible to list a top five. Even a listing of top five favorites instead of greatest of all time is nearly impossible.

Reminds me of NFL Hall of Fame voting where deserving players are frozen out.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 483,299 times
For me, there's a Top 6. In no particular order: Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, John Unitas, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM

4,893 posts, read 3,984,171 times
Default Joe willy

I did not put the great Joe Namath on because of several reasons. For one, he made only 1 super bowl. Much of his career was spent injured. Perhaps as a result, Statistically, he had only a few good years

He was a childhood hero to many of us. I thought he was so cool. He was a showman, and his showmanship propelled him to the top of American pop culture more than his career on the field did. He was a good qb but too injury prone and without a supporting cast to reach the top 5.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,377,822 times
There's so many greats in NFL history. Names such as Graham, Tittle, Unitas, Montana, Marino, Manning and Brady. But if we're going to be honest with ourselves there's really on 5 names that should compile any Top 5 list if we're talking quarterbacks. People are often afraid to be the voice of reason and often fear criticism and don't stand for what's right. I'll be that bold and list the list that everyone believes but everyone aside from myself is afraid to post:

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Bobby Layne
3. Scott Mitchell
4. Greg Landry
5. Gary Danielson

I did it for you City-Data. I did it for all of us.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:32 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,006,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There's so many greats in NFL history. Names such as Graham, Tittle, Unitas, Montana, Marino, Manning and Brady. But if we're going to be honest with ourselves there's really on 5 names that should compile any Top 5 list if we're talking quarterbacks. People are often afraid to be the voice of reason and often fear criticism and don't stand for what's right. I'll be that bold and list the list that everyone believes but everyone aside from myself is afraid to post:

1. Matthew Stafford
2. Bobby Layne
3. Scott Mitchell
4. Greg Landry
5. Gary Danielson

I did it for you City-Data. I did it for all of us.

I'll see your five and raise you these classics!

1. Bill Munson
2. George Izo
3. Earl Morrall
4. Karl Sweetan
5. Frank Tripucka

Morrall- best flattop in the NFL next to Yale Lary! Morrall was the quarterback who went to Detroit from Pittsburgh in the Bobby Layne trade. Actually, IMHO I think Buddy Parker missed his drinking buddy Bobby when Parker just up and quit as the Lions head coach. The two of them closing down bars? Heh, oy!

Frank Tripucka-drafted #1 in the 1950 draft and immediately got traded to the Lions from the Eagles and the next year he was a Chicago Cardinal. Yikes! He played four seasons with the Denver Broncos, became the first qb in pro football history to throw for over 3000 yards in a season, literally drew up plays in the dirt while being on the field. How big was an AFL playbook back in 1960? Heh, half a dozen pages maybe! Was named to the Broncos Ring Of Fame the year it was created (1986.)

Honorable mention-Tobin Rote

The only starting quarterback to be a league champion in both professional leagues (Detroit Lions-1957) and (San Diego Chargers-1963). He, like Tripucka spent several years in the Canadian Football League. He was with the Toronto Argonauts, nearly won a Grey Cup. Threw a 108 yard touchdown pass in one game. Was with them for three years, threw for nearly 10,000 yards total. Went to the American Football League, signed with San Diego. Jack Kemp got waived, Buffalo claimed him for $100. John Hadl was still a rookie of sorts, so what did Rote do? Took the Chargers to the AFL Championship against the Boston Patriots, went postal on the Pats, 51 to 10. He retired in 1965, brought out of retirement by Denver only to stink to high heaven--then again the Broncos offensive line was always offensive-always.

I don't know what behooved me to mention Karl Sweetan though! Probably because he shares a record that can always be tied but never can be broken--a 99 yard touchdown pass to Pat Studstill in the 1966 season!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-17-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 07:41 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
Couldn't rep you two guys but great posts by both of you!

Old 06-25-2017, 03:22 PM

20,925 posts, read 39,244,738 times
1. Johnny Unitas
2. Joe Theismann
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Brett Favre
5. Peyton Manning

Hard to narrow it down to just 5, there are so many great ones, and as always we all have our faves or bests no matter who's in the top spot for "most" this / that statistical category.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 PM

6,472 posts, read 3,472,918 times
Brady is #1 no matter how I look at it. I like some of the recent "daring" posts naming QB's others would not. But Brady has done his work in the era of the revolving door of free agency. He's been on a team that does not pay big bucks for players, thus Brady has only has Moss for a bit as a lock HOF receiver. Sure the league is about safety now, so comparing to the old-timers isn't a fair comparison. Brady is just a winner, period. His W-L % proves that. Ranking a QB is about the overall package, not just on stats or SB victories. Brady is on or near the top of almost every metric you could judge a QB on. Rounding out my list:

Montana
Manning (Peyton)
Bradshaw
Tarkenton

Tarkenton was my childhood favorite. I think he was ahead of his time with scrambling, and was amazing to watch.

Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning (Eli), Elway, Aikman, Young - honorable mentions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football