U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it?
Yes they should 6 10.17%
No they shouldn't 53 89.83%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 AM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Keep it as it is. More playoff games would only make them less important and more of a mess. The only way it would work is if there were another expansion, and THAT is not gonna happen.

THAT is exactly what would happen. We'd start seeing 20pt spreads, in playoff games... for Gods sake that would be dumb.
Exactly. Expanding the playoffs won't work very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 02:42 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
While occasionally you have a very good 11-5 or 10-6 team that misses the playoffs, it's rare.

I'd almost be more in favor of dropping a crappy division winner.. Like when the Panthers made it in at 7-8-1 or the Rams at 7-9 a few years back.. ALMOST. I can argue against that idea as well, because division games are always tougher and that's half the schedule.

I don't like Hockey and Basketball playoffs where most everyone gets in.

Well, within this post the poster mentions dropping a bad division winner, and I think that is where the greater problem lies. Prior to the Texans entering the league in 2002, the NFL had only 6 divisions. From 1999 to 2001, the AFC Central had 6 teams in it, but I suppose the league had a problem with this many teams in a division (?). Anyway in 2002 the realignment changed the number of divisions to 8, with 4 teams in each division. I say this is your greater problem. The league should revert back to a 6 division formula. If this happens, however, due to the lack of teams in the western US, a fifth team in either theoretical western division in NFC or AFC would be two Texas teams, the Cowboys and the Texans. For some reason, the NFL wants to lump the Cowboys with NFC East teams, and I believe that motive is around dollars, as the Cowboys can generate higher ratings for the big east coast markets (DC. Philadelphia NY). But, logically, if you had the Cowboys added to the existing NFC West, the Texans to the AFC West, then basically took the two AFC and NFC South divisions and combined them back to the Central and East divisions, THEN, maintained the format, with the best 3 wild card teams earning the remaining slots, you would improve the quality of the game exponentially.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:55 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
I do think a team that wins it's division should be required to at least have an 8-8 record to make the playoffs. I think that would be a good wrinkle to add to have a 7-9 division winner replaced by a team with a non losing record.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM

10,674 posts, read 11,081,079 times
There isn't a single thing I would change about the NFL's playoffs. Not one thing. I wouldn't add teams. I wouldn't re-seed based on division record. I wouldn't drop division winners with sub .500 records. These things water down the product and minimize the importance of divisions.

I feel teams in the NFL are set up to succeed by the league. Teams with bad records get to draft first and get two games a season against corresponding opponents. Teams that succeed do so constantly picking at the bottom of the draft and against teams that had higher finishes in the standings the prior season.

If fans don't like the current playoffs they should wish for a better team, not a better system. The current system is as good as it's ever gonna get.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,856,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
If fans don't like the current playoffs they should wish for a better team, not a better system. The current system is as good as it's ever gonna get.
What I want as a fan of my team didn't go into consideration at all. And my team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 or so seasons. I still think booting a 7-9 division winner would be good for the league regardless of which team you are a fan of.

That said, I am fine with no changes at all. The system is certainly not broken. Minor changes could make it better but are not necessary.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM

10,674 posts, read 11,081,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What I want as a fan of my team didn't go into consideration at all. And my team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 or so seasons. I still think booting a 7-9 division winner would be good for the league regardless of which team you are a fan of.

That said, I am fine with no changes at all. The system is certainly not broken. Minor changes could make it better but are not necessary.
I know YOU'RE not considering your team, but every year it's fans of the would be 7th seed that seem to raise this discussion. I'm happy to say I didn't see a lot of this nonsense out of Broncos fans this past year when the Broncos missed the playoffs. I also think sub .500 division winners are so rare (2010 Seahawks, 2014 Panthers) and even 8-8 division winners are pretty rare that the "problem" the league is "solving" isn't really all that signifcant to start with.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:54 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Well, within this post the poster mentions dropping a bad division winner, and I think that is where the greater problem lies. Prior to the Texans entering the league in 2002, the NFL had only 6 divisions. From 1999 to 2001, the AFC Central had 6 teams in it, but I suppose the league had a problem with this many teams in a division (?). Anyway in 2002 the realignment changed the number of divisions to 8, with 4 teams in each division. I say this is your greater problem. The league should revert back to a 6 division formula. If this happens, however, due to the lack of teams in the western US, a fifth team in either theoretical western division in NFC or AFC would be two Texas teams, the Cowboys and the Texans. For some reason, the NFL wants to lump the Cowboys with NFC East teams, and I believe that motive is around dollars, as the Cowboys can generate higher ratings for the big east coast markets (DC. Philadelphia NY). But, logically, if you had the Cowboys added to the existing NFC West, the Texans to the AFC West, then basically took the two AFC and NFC South divisions and combined them back to the Central and East divisions, THEN, maintained the format, with the best 3 wild card teams earning the remaining slots, you would improve the quality of the game exponentially.
Spot on; and I think this gets neglected all the time when people start debating playoff formats in the NFL. Four teams is just too few; inevitably we've had MULTIPLE awful divisions yearly. Now some of this can be contributed to the lack of quality teams and rampant parity (sorry, but I don't know if you were alive to watch the NFL of up to 20 years ago, you can argue that the parity isn't omnipresent today- there is a much bigger picture on display than just simply recognizing what the Patriots have accomplished).
But as long as we have so few teams per division, there just isn't enough quality teams to go around with how today's NFL is structured with the salary cap and such. I've said for years they should return to six divisions; so you lose the symmetry of having the same #teams per division; big whoop; the NFL, and I believe all major team sports in this country had the same asymmetry year-after-year for generations; nobody ever raised a stink that somehow someone was getting screwed because they were competing against 5 teams rather than 4 teams in some other division- if you were good enough to make the playoffs, the number of divisional foes never was a hindrance; once in a great while, an 8-8 team would win a division, but it was an anomaly; now every year we're presented with multiple crappy teams getting in. Division winners should always be rewarded, otherwise there is no purpose to divisional set-up. But at least you minimize the chances further of these garbage teams getting in from garbage divisions if you go from eight to six. This isn't going to solve the rampant mediocrity that plagues today's NFL, but at least we can minimize the odds of these awful teams from most notably, the AFC South it seems annually, from getting a free ticket to the postseason.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,321,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Spot on; and I think this gets neglected all the time when people start debating playoff formats in the NFL. Four teams is just too few; inevitably we've had MULTIPLE awful divisions yearly. Now some of this can be contributed to the lack of quality teams and rampant parity (sorry, but I don't know if you were alive to watch the NFL of up to 20 years ago, you can argue that the parity isn't omnipresent today- there is a much bigger picture on display than just simply recognizing what the Patriots have accomplished).
But as long as we have so few teams per division, there just isn't enough quality teams to go around with how today's NFL is structured with the salary cap and such. I've said for years they should return to six divisions; so you lose the symmetry of having the same #teams per division; big whoop; the NFL, and I believe all major team sports in this country had the same asymmetry year-after-year for generations; nobody ever raised a stink that somehow someone was getting screwed because they were competing against 5 teams rather than 4 teams in some other division- if you were good enough to make the playoffs, the number of divisional foes never was a hindrance; once in a great while, an 8-8 team would win a division, but it was an anomaly; now every year we're presented with multiple crappy teams getting in. Division winners should always be rewarded, otherwise there is no purpose to divisional set-up. But at least you minimize the chances further of these garbage teams getting in from garbage divisions if you go from eight to six. This isn't going to solve the rampant mediocrity that plagues today's NFL, but at least we can minimize the odds of these awful teams from most notably, the AFC South it seems annually, from getting a free ticket to the postseason.
To respond to the bolded, since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, to 2001, the last year of 6 divisions, there was only one instance of an 8-8 team winning a division, and that was the Cleveland Browns in 1985. The Vikings won the NFC Central in 1978 with an 8-7-1 record. This excludes the strike shortened seasons of 1982 and 1987.

If you are a New England Patriots hater, you could make the case that they have been the ultimate beneficiaries of this system. Their Belichick/Brady dynasty coincided with league realignment and 4 divisions. The team that was subtracted out of that division in 2002? The Indianapolis Colts. The same team that would have had Peyton Manning in the AFC Championship almost every year in the 2000s. The decision to realign the NFL in 2002 changed the history of the game forever. Imagine if those two teams remained in the same division.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:37 PM

6,446 posts, read 3,453,370 times
Absolutely not. Look at the NBA & NHL - every team gets in the playoffs. You have 16 games to earn it in the NFL, and we're not flooded with a drawn out playoffs. IMO the regular season is the 1st round of the post season.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,257,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The National Football League does not need to expand the number of participants in postseason play. I would be in favor of eliminating wild card berths. If teams win their division, they play in the postseason. If they do not win their divisions despite a winning record, too bad.

If the National Football League expands to 40 teams, five teams in each of the eight divisions, I could be open to 16 teams participating in postseason play.
Why do you say that? IMO only two teams at least from each division (for example AFC East, NFC East) should make the playoffs, even with a winning record. Look at the 10-6 Chicago Bears in 2012. They were eliminated from the playoffs even after beating Detroit because Minnesota knocked off the Packers and the Bears fired Lovie Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or