U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it?
Yes they should 6 10.17%
No they shouldn't 53 89.83%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times

Advertisements

I think that is the only issue with the division winner and it does happen, probably more frequent than we remember (or me at least)! I was checking division standings, back 5 or 6 years because someone wouldn't believe (not here) NFC North has had 2 teams in the playoffs, like 5 out of 6 or 6 out of 7 years. 11-5 is brutal, quite a few 10-6 teams lose out.

I'm fine with the playoffs staying the way they are now. I know some fans complain about teams not having competition in their division, always getting a bye, home playoff advantage, don't blame the winning team, blame your organization for not having their act together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 07:44 PM

10,674 posts, read 11,076,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I think that is the only issue with the division winner and it does happen, probably more frequent than we remember (or me at least)! I was checking division standings, back 5 or 6 years because someone wouldn't believe (not here) NFC North has had 2 teams in the playoffs, like 5 out of 6 or 6 out of 7 years. 11-5 is brutal, quite a few 10-6 teams lose out.

I'm fine with the playoffs staying the way they are now. I know some fans complain about teams not having competition in their division, always getting a bye, home playoff advantage, don't blame the winning team, blame your organization for not having their act together.
Yeah, most years 10-6 is good enough to get a spot in the playoffs but some years it just doesn't cut it. Some recent examples are the 2013 Cardinals, the 2012 Bears, the 2010 Bucs, the 2007 Browns, the 2005 Chiefs and the 2003 Dolphins. I know there have been more but those ones are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head since the league realigned in 2002. That realignment is key because I believe the number of 10-6 teams has increased since the current alignment took affect. Throw in that 11-5 Patriots team and I don't think you can match the number of 10+ win teams that missed the playoffs* since the league went to a 16 game schedule in 1978 through 2001, the last year of the 6 division alignment.

Still, I don't think the system needs to change. The 8-8 or worse division winner is pretty infrequent and teams that go 12-4 but still end up on the road as wild card teams have a simple solution: win more games. For example: last year the 12-4 Raiders had 2 shots at the Chiefs, who also finished 12-4, and lost both. Then they lost on the road playing a 9-7 Texans team. There were a lot of Raiders fans complaining that the playoff seeding was unfair but they really didn't have a case when they had an opportunity to win their division and secure a home game. The system doesn't need to be tweaked, nor do I believe the league needs to add more teams. If you want home playoff games then win your division. Simple as that.

*Much to my chagrin the Broncos have 2 teams in that era: the afore mentioned 1985 team with an 11-5 mark and the 1981 team with a 10-6 record.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times
I wouldn't mind reseeding by record for the playoffs. The reward of just making the playoffs when you win your division is good enough. No need to guarantee home field advantage too.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:42 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,024,246 times
NFL and NHL have great postseasons. MLB is OK but the NBA seems too long. I think it's because the NBA only has a handful of teams with a realistic shot at winning the Larry O'Brien trophy and you know who those teams are before the season starts.

In the NFL, we all know who the "good" teams are but you never really know who'll be left standing at the end. You could make a case for up to 15 teams/year that are Super-Bowl caliber under the right circumstances

Old 08-04-2017, 01:00 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,162 times
^^ NBA postseason is too long. The NBA needs to decrease the postseason schedule because the NBA does not need to expand the number of particpants in the playoffs in the same sense that the NFL does not need to expand the playoffs. When the MLB wild card game came out, a lot of fans didn't like it.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
After doing a little math, the NFL is already the 2nd most generous major sports league of the 4 major sports in how many playoff teams there are relative to number of franchises.

NHL 27% of total teams get playoff berths
MLB 33%
NFL 38%
NBA 53%

That 53% is not working for the NBA IMO.
16/31 is 27%?? . Also, sorry, but your math looks off for some reason

With the Golden Knights expansion factored in, here's the current standing of percentage of teams that make playoffs:
NHL: 51.6% (16 of 31)
NBA: 53.3% (16 of 30)
NFL: 37.5% (12 of 32)
MLB: 30% (10 of 30).

So, the NFL isn't as grateful as you think as barely 35% of the teams make the playoffs. But still they should keep it as it. Reward the 1 & 2 seeds, and every once in a while (maybe once every 5 or 6 years) you'll have an 11-5 or 10-6 team that misses out that has a better record than a division winner but I'd counter that by saying......win your division then you don't have to worry about it!

And you're right, the NBA playoffs is not working. They need to do 1 of 3 things:
1) Make first round best of 5 again
2) Drop the 5 to 8 seeds, just take the top 4, and start the playoffs with the semifinals
3) Eliminate the conferences and seed them 1-16 based on record no matter whether they are in the East or West.

Numbers 1 & 2 will NEVER happen (and why the first round went from best of 5 to best of 7) because that will be a revenue loss, 3 at least has a chance, but if a team from Boston & matches up with the Lakers, Clippers, Warriors & Kings for their 4 playoff series that's a whole lot of traveling from 1 coast to the other.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 AM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
Without following other pro sports, some of the math indeed looked sketchy. I knew that NHL percentage couldn't be close to being right. As for baseball's, is that not based on that one game series they started playing a few years ago? I guess those two extra teams do count- it is the playoffs after all, but I'd put an asterisk next to MLB's. And I basically agree with the sentiment expressed by 7express.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Without following other pro sports, some of the math indeed looked sketchy. I knew that NHL percentage couldn't be close to being right. As for baseball's, is that not based on that one game series they started playing a few years ago? I guess those two extra teams do count- it is the playoffs after all, but I'd put an asterisk next to MLB's. And I basically agree with the sentiment expressed by 7express.
If you don't want to include the one-and-done wildcard game then baseball is really 8/30 (26.6%) and yet they haven't had a back-to-back winner since 2000, and haven't had the same 2 teams in the World Series back-to-back years since the Yankees & Dodgers played back-to-back in 1977 & 78.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
A big emphatic NO. The NFL playoffs are already the best setup in the 4 major sports leagues in this country. Less than half the teams in the league make the playoffs, unlike the NBA where more than 50% of the league makes it.

Adding teams is simply a money grab by the NFL. This is not like the need for MLB to expand their playoffs. It was awful when only 4 teams would get in after playing 162 games.
Yes they are. The NFL's playoff system is the best compared to the other big four leagues in the United States with the NBA's postseason format the worst because the NBA playoffs are TOO long.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Off the top of my head, the 1985 Browns, the 2008 Chargers, and the 2011 Broncos all won their divisions with an 8-8 record. I'm sure there have been others but those are the ones I can call up on the spot. Fun fact: while the 1985 Browns and 2008 Chargers were in the playoffs at 8-8, the 1985 Broncos and 2008 Patriots were out, even with an 11-5 finish.
Yeah and that was 2011 when Tebow hit Demaryius Thomas for a TD in overtime to send the Steelers home in the Wild Card Game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or