U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should it?
Yes they should 6 10.17%
No they shouldn't 53 89.83%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 PM
 
3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
Reputation: 2782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I know and I should have started the thread a year ago but again adding more teams in the playoffs including six wild card games? It makes no sense and it doesn't work. The NFL has the best playoff format system and MLB's playoff format is okay but the NBA's playoff system is too long which is why the College Basketball tournaments are far more exciting than the NBA playoffs. For college football, at least there is a win and move on in the major bowl games; Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc. but prior to that there was no moving on.
Both the NHL and NBA playoffs are far too long. The NFL and its owners (like any profrssional sports organization for that matter) want to maximize revenue so I am going to guess that by 2023 we will have 14 teams in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,266,392 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Both the NHL and NBA playoffs are far too long. The NFL and its owners (like any profrssional sports organization for that matter) want to maximize revenue so I am going to guess that by 2023 we will have 14 teams in the playoffs.
Good point. If it's not by next year or two years from now, it's probably by 2023 or even earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,266,392 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Good point. If it's not by next year or two years from now, it's probably by 2023 or even earlier.
Maybe even by 2019 or 2020. But I like the way the NFL playoffs are set up currently and the college football playoff system has gotten better since they replaced the BCS system in 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,255,180 times
Reputation: 14611
IMO, less is more in the NFL...they've oversaturated their product - too many televised games - and here in Tampa they've stopped blackouts even though the team rarely sells out. They'v practically giving away their product for free. No reason to even go to games anymore. This will be my last season of buying season tickets (have been since '09 when I moved here).

But they need to be more judicious in games nationally and locally televised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,685,977 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
IMO, less is more in the NFL...they've oversaturated their product - too many televised games - and here in Tampa they've stopped blackouts even though the team rarely sells out. They'v practically giving away their product for free. No reason to even go to games anymore. This will be my last season of buying season tickets (have been since '09 when I moved here).

But they need to be more judicious in games nationally and locally televised.
Oversaturation is a huge problem.

Not to mention if you were on the east coast and you were a younger kid, good luck trying to stay up for mos of the Pittsburgh game...most fans fell asleep. Of course that's because of greed and ratings....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top