U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which team gets Kirk Cousins
Broncos 1 7.69%
LA Rams 1 7.69%
49ers 2 15.38%
Washington 8 61.54%
Browns 0 0%
NY Jets 0 0%
Miami 0 0%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Cardinals 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,127,511 times

Advertisements

Cousins gives me hope that QBs in the NFL could be much better, and the Redskins would do well to not give up on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM

10,463 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Why in the world would Cousins sign in Pittsburg with no guarantee of playing time? I see Washington using the transition tag to allow the market to be set, then matching any offer.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,234,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
They can't afford to do that financially and it's just really idiotic but, it is the Redskins.
Yes, they can afford it. It's definitely idiotic, but what they won't be able to afford is a monster mega deal next year unless they start cutting star players.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Why in the world would Cousins sign in Pittsburg with no guarantee of playing time? I see Washington using the transition tag to allow the market to be set, then matching any offer.
That's one option. Depending on what other teams offer Cousins, it may not be realistic that the Redskins can match. And, we will find out if Cousins really did want to get out of Washington if he signs with someone like the 49ers for much less than we all assume he can command next year if he plays well again this year. Again, if the Redskins hope to sign him long term, they may have to jettison some start players to make room, and the Ravens fans can tell you how that's working out for them lately.

Honestly, the best option for the Redskins would be to tag Cousins, exclusive, again next season, draft a QB, and have that viable option for when Cousins finally decides he's had enough with the Redskins. By 2019, Cousins will probably be primed for free agency, but he'll be over 30, and the Redskins will have had a chance to allow a drafted QB to sit for at least a year. Honestly, that's probably the best approach the Redskins could make. It would cost them $34M next year for Cousins, but that's still cheaper than signing him to a contract with over $100M guaranteed, which is something the Redskins' cap situation won't allow for next season without doing a lot of cutting.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM

33,897 posts, read 42,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Cousins signs, Rothlisberger decides to "retire". There's precedent in Pittsburgh, that's how Bradshaw decided to " retire".

Old 07-19-2017, 11:13 AM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietstormP View Post
They can't afford to do that financially and it's just really idiotic but, it is the Redskins.
that depends on how room they have under their salary cap next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That's one option. Depending on what other teams offer Cousins, it may not be realistic that the Redskins can match. And, we will find out if Cousins really did want to get out of Washington if he signs with someone like the 49ers for much less than we all assume he can command next year if he plays well again this year. Again, if the Redskins hope to sign him long term, they may have to jettison some start players to make room, and the Ravens fans can tell you how that's working out for them lately.

Honestly, the best option for the Redskins would be to tag Cousins, exclusive, again next season, draft a QB, and have that viable option for when Cousins finally decides he's had enough with the Redskins. By 2019, Cousins will probably be primed for free agency, but he'll be over 30, and the Redskins will have had a chance to allow a drafted QB to sit for at least a year. Honestly, that's probably the best approach the Redskins could make. It would cost them $34M next year for Cousins, but that's still cheaper than signing him to a contract with over $100M guaranteed, which is something the Redskins' cap situation won't allow for next season without doing a lot of cutting.
actually tagging cousins as a franchise QB next season will cost them more like $29 million, or $35 million depending on what tag the redskins put on him for 2018.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually tagging cousins as a franchise QB next season will cost them more like $29 million, or $35 million depending on what tag the redskins put on him for 2018.
The transition tag will about around $28.8M or something like that. The franchise tag will be around $34M - $35M.

I'm talking, mostly, about the franchise tag. I would apply that to him so that you have him locked up for 2918, draft a quarterback before the '18 season starts as insurance. Sure, it sends the message that they don't believe they can sign Cousins past the 2018 season, but at least they'll have a quarterback who can take over. Not that I don't believe in Colt McCoy, but I think the 'skins can probably find better quality in QB in this coming draft.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:52 AM

1,579 posts, read 984,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think the 'skins can probably find better quality in QB in this coming draft.
37, Respectfully.. I don't think Washington is capable of evaluating QB talent. Which is why I believe they are fortunate to have Cousins (& foolish not to invest in him long-term).
Granted, Cousins isn't Tom Brady but he's the best QB they've had in 25 years. Here's the Redskins last 25 yrs in a nutshell:
Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Jason Campbell, (end of career) Donovan McFlabb, (end of career) Brunell, John Beck, Todd Collins..

Which option was better than Cousins.. what piece of this track record leads Redskin fans to believe Snyder will find a better starter, or backup, than Cousins (?) Personally I think the Redskin front office & Redskin Nation are experiencing a shared (mass) delusion in thinking they will do better than Cousins & McCoy. I think Cousins is a damn good QB, especially for a franchise w/Washington's QB history. If Cousins is let go, what players in Washington will be on the sports' page (?) Honestly, Cousins is the franchise right now, seems foolish for ownership to keep undermining him..
Peace.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:32 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,280,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cousins signs, Rothlisberger decides to "retire". There's precedent in Pittsburgh, that's how Bradshaw decided to " retire".
Not really. In fact, not at all.

Bradshaw missed almost all of the 1983 season due to an elbow injury, coming back only in December. In his first game back, he re-injured the elbow and missed the rest of the regular season and postseason. And David Woodley was no Kirk Cousins - the only two decent seasons the Dolphins had with him under center were due to the Killer B's defense.

Bradshaw retired because he was could no longer play.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
37, Respectfully.. I don't think Washington is capable of evaluating QB talent. Which is why I believe they are fortunate to have Cousins (& foolish not to invest in him long-term).
Granted, Cousins isn't Tom Brady but he's the best QB they've had in 25 years. Here's the Redskins last 25 yrs in a nutshell:
Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Jason Campbell, (end of career) Donovan McFlabb, (end of career) Brunell, John Beck, Todd Collins..

Which option was better than Cousins.. what piece of this track record leads Redskin fans to believe Snyder will find a better starter, or backup, than Cousins (?) Personally I think the Redskin front office & Redskin Nation are experiencing a shared (mass) delusion in thinking they will do better than Cousins & McCoy. I think Cousins is a damn good QB, especially for a franchise w/Washington's QB history. If Cousins is let go, what players in Washington will be on the sports' page (?) Honestly, Cousins is the franchise right now, seems foolish for ownership to keep undermining him..
Peace.
You misunderstood what I said. I think the Redskins can find better quality quarterbacks in this year's draft than what this past year's draft had. Not that I think the Redskins can find a better quality quarterback than Cousins. I think Cousins has been the best QB the Redskins have had in years. I don't WANT to get rid of Cousins at all. I hope he stays with the Redskins for the duration of his career. However, if there is any chance that he does go, I think the Redskins can find a quality QB in this year's draft, which is supposed to be deeper than it was last year. Have this QB to sit for a year or two, or maybe more depending on what the situation turns out to be with Cousins down the road. Kind of like the situation with Jimmy Garoppolo in New England. We know Brady is starting as long as he wants to and is physically able to be effective, but Jimmy is there in case something happens (as in Brady's suspension last year.)

However, I think the sports media is trying its best to influence the situation in Washington. The sports media, in general, hates the Redskins and hates Daniel Snyder, so if there is anything it can do to influence a situation where the team can look utterly clueless (not that they need any help at times), they're "Johnny On The Spot".

It wasn't too long ago that the argument around the league about Kirk Cousins was that he hadn't proven he's any good. He didn't beat any teams in 2015 with a winning record. He didn't win a playoff game. He only played well for a half of a season. Why give him a long term contract? "The Redskins would be stupid to do that, but they'll do it for sure!" This is exactly what I heard and read all through that offseason, and when the Redskins didn't give him a long term contract, I heard nothing from anybody. Then, Cousins has another solid year, statistically. Only won 8 games, kind of choked in a few big games that would have put the 'skins in the playoffs, but had monster numbers and continued to break team records. Statistically, right up there with the likes of Tom Brady. So, there's a lot of great things about Kirk Cousins that would be enough to say he's worth a long term contract. But then again, there are some glaring issues that I can see that would cause pause. Such as not beating the Cardinals - which would have been key in putting the 'skins in the playoffs. Not being the Panthers on Monday Night Football - again, would have put the Redskins in the playoffs. Not being the Giants in the last game of the season - which again, would have put the Redskins in the playoffs. Now, I'll say, the defense certainly did its share of letting the team down last season, but in at least two of those three games, it was Kirk Cousins who played like a dud. In fact, the defense was pretty stout if I remember correctly, in the Panthers and Giants games, and Cousins couldn't come through. Now, I don't base everything on those three games, but those are three situations where a franchise quarterback is going to see the situation and be able to put the team on his back and lead them to victory. Cousins failed to do that. So, I DO understand a bit of pause when you think of those situations.

However, all in all, I do think Cousins should have a long term deal and I do think he's a very good quarterback who is in a position to take it up to the next level this coming season. I also understand the law of supply and demand. There are more teams than there are good quarterbacks, so the price would be higher based on that premise alone. But, I just find it interesting that a lot of the same sources who said the Redskins would be crazy to sign Cousins to a LTD after 2015, based on the reasons I stated earlier, are saying the 'skins have botched things up with Cousins and will wind up losing him because they don't know how to keep good players. Well, I have a feeling had the Redskins offered Cousins this huge contract, full of guarantees this season, everybody would've said the Redskins overpaid and have mortgaged their future all for a .500 quarterback. So, either way, it's a no-win for the Redskins. Even if Cousins has a great year and leads the team to an 11-5 record, wins a playoff game, and shows he's got staying power, the Redskins will be crapped on in the sports media for "not seeing what the rest of the league saw in Kirk Cousins earlier." Same news media that would have bashed them for signing him to a LTD if they had done so after 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football