U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 AM

929 posts, read 298,079 times

Advertisements

I wish there were more threads like this one and we can illicit more stimulating discussion and banter (good job iknowftball). In any case, no favorite if it was to lose this weekend, would make my list of greatest one-and-dones.

The Patriots struggled much of the first half of the season and were one controversial call away from not being the one seed. Pittsburgh looked terrible in two of its losses and came perilously close to losing several times to bottom feeders. Minnesota- great season, but not an all-time "one game wonder" should it lose to New Orleans. Now I will say though, if the Titans beat the Patriots, particularly since Tennessee was so mediocre, would perhaps rank as the greatest divisional round upset. Right now that honor I believe still belongs to Minnesota ousting the 49ers in the 1987 season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 PM

357 posts, read 156,219 times
This is such a great thread. Here are some thoughts on some of these teams:

I've been watching football for about 25 years and the '96 Broncos were the most dominant team I've seen on this list. Maybe it was just an off day or things didn't swing their way but they would've smoked the Pats and gave the Packers a game. Also that Jags team is one of the more memorable Cinderella NFL teams in history with Brunell etc.

I'm still shocked about the 2010 Patriots. Their team was completely different going into 2010. Their '09 team got to the playoffs by default and got smoked by the Ravens after Wes Welker went down with a torn ACL and Moss was declining. The 2010 gelled with the integration of young players like Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead etc and they were so explosive heading into the playoffs. I'll credit the Jets' defense but Brady just had a rare off day.

The '06 Chargers were also the best team in the NFL. LT was having one of the most dominant years for a RB and so many mental mistakes led to their downfall against the Patriots. This was the best Chargers team I've ever seen.

The '11 Packers was automatic on offense but their defense was decimated by the end of the season. I still remember the Matt Flynn game vs the Lions and then how Eli was able to pass on this defense in the playoffs.

Some interesting teams that didn't make this list:
'03 Chiefs- Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Dante Hall only to run into Peyton Manning and not force them to punt once
'04 Chargers- Brees, LT, Gates on a typical Marty Shottenheimer team to ace the regular season and choke in round 1

Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM

10,706 posts, read 11,116,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Some interesting teams that didn't make this list:
'03 Chiefs- Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Dante Hall only to run into Peyton Manning and not force them to punt once
'04 Chargers- Brees, LT, Gates on a typical Marty Shottenheimer team to ace the regular season and choke in round 1
The 2003 Chiefs did make it as an honorable mention. As good as that offense was they were probably never a realistic threat to reach the Super Bowl with that defense. As for the 2004 Chargers they were a very good 12-4 but in a season where 12-4 was good enough for the #4 seed. The Steelers and Patriots were 15-1 and 14-2 respectively and there was no way that Chargers team could be considered better than either of those, not to mention the 3 seeded 12-4 Colts. That's my rationale for not including that team, good as it was.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
I know it's NOT the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Someone should start a thread to find the worst playoff team ever.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:13 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
The '11 Packers were 15-1, lost to Chiefs and they really gave the blueprint for the Packers. Packers had the bye, came out in the division game and played horrible, it was brutal.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I know it's NOT the 2017 Buffalo Bills. Someone should start a thread to find the worst playoff team ever.
Really, I thought it was the 08 Cardinals at the end of the regular season. They were putrid. Then they come within a whisker of winning the Super Bowl. Go figure. Same thing with 7-9 Seattle a few years later. Then they upset the heavily favored defending champs, New Orleans in the wildcard round. Again, go figure.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Really, I thought it was the 08 Cardinals at the end of the regular season. They were putrid. Then they come within a whisker of winning the Super Bowl. Go figure. Same thing with 7-9 Seattle a few years later. Then they upset the heavily favored defending champs, New Orleans in the wildcard round. Again, go figure.
Yeah. It's not all about regular season record. Bills finished 9-7 this year and beat out the Ravens and Chargers in a three way tiebreaker. But me eyes tell me the Chargers were significantly better than the Bills. And the Ravens were better too. And statistically, they were both much better as well. Of course as bad as this Bills team was, they very easily could have won a tough road game against a really good defense. In fact as a Bills fan I would easily say that both the 2015 and 2016 Bills teams were much better overall teams than the 2017 team. Yet it was the 2017 team that ended the drought. Go figure.

And I'm not the only one who has the opinion of the 2017 Bills team being bad compared to previous Bills teams during the drought.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-this-century/

Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It's not all about regular season record. Bills finished 9-7 this year and beat out the Ravens and Chargers in a three way tiebreaker. But me eyes tell me the Chargers were significantly better than the Bills. And the Ravens were better too. And statistically, they were both much better as well. Of course as bad as this Bills team was, they very easily could have won a tough road game against a really good defense. In fact as a Bills fan I would easily say that both the 2015 and 2016 Bills teams were much better overall teams than the 2017 team. Yet it was the 2017 team that ended the drought. Go figure.

And I'm not the only one who has the opinion of the 2017 Bills team being bad compared to previous Bills teams during the drought.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-this-century/
My only hesitation with proclaiming the Bills as being that bad, is that we tend to recall the more recent transgressions. The Bills were playing some good football until around the time of that night game at the Jets. Then they started looking putrid, especially versus the Saints and Chargers. Bad playoff team for sure, but I'm not sure the worse I've seen wire-to-wire. Those 08 Cardinals were awful- but they seemed to put it together in the playoffs, coupled with the fact they got an easy road to that Super Bowl. Plaxico Burress got hurt and the Giants wilted away after a great start into November. The Cardinals beat Carolina, perhaps the worst looking 12-4 team ever coupled with a struggling Jack Delhomme, who had a horrific game that night, and very surprisingly the 9-7 Cardinals ultimately got to host the NFC title game as a result. Worst team to make the playoffs and prove as such in the playoffs? I'd have to give it some thought.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:28 AM

What I like about that Cardinals team is the talent they had. Warner, HOFer. Fitz future first ballot HOFer? Boldin, another future HOFer? They had some good pieces on defense too. The talent was there. So looking back on it with hindsight, it is not surprising they made a run in the playoffs. I believe they lost Boldin for a few games that year too with basically a broken face that he suffered against the Jets that year.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What I like about that Cardinals team is the talent they had. Warner, HOFer. Fitz future first ballot HOFer? Boldin, another future HOFer? They had some good pieces on defense too. The talent was there. So looking back on it with hindsight, it is not surprising they made a run in the playoffs. I believe they lost Boldin for a few games that year too with basically a broken face that he suffered against the Jets that year.
That in some ways made it some much easier for me to consider them the worst. Maybe "worst" is a bad adjective, but "underachieving". Probably Ken Wisenhunt is the reason. Really bad head coach, but again, so so close to winning a title. The Cardinals definitely played much better in the playoffs. I still think too they were helped by a lucky draw. The Giants and Panthers were the top two seeds and the Giants just fell apart after the Burress injury, and the Panthers I think had a beneficial schedule that season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or