Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 PM

523 posts, read 491,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotcp456 View Post
I wouldnt categorize any CFL team as professional football. Although I agree, San Antonio deserves a team. I think their major hurtle is funding for a stadium. I think they could handle a MLB team too. The real question is, can we get em an NHL team in addition to everything else...paaaahhhleeeeaaassseeee?
CFL is Major League too, its championship has been in existance way before the Super Bowl, It has a Hall of Fame, and you still think is doesnt count as a "Major League"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:10 PM

223 posts, read 278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Isn't this the truth......I almost had a heart failure upon reading the previous post......The Steeler nation would be in such a level of shock I dont think any of us could function.....
Pittsburgh is among a few cities that could probably fill a 100,000 ppl stadium every sunday year after year......The folks in Green Bay, DC, and Kansas City would give us a run for our money
If the steelers moved to vegas Mr.Art Rooney would be turning over in his grave.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,787,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotcp456 View Post
Although I agree, San Antonio deserves a team. I think their major hurtle is funding for a stadium.
San Antonio has a stadium already (the Alamodome). The city built it just so they could lure an NFL franchise to the city in '93. It may be over 10 years old now, but adding more seats, suites, and converting it into a retractable roof wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
I think they could handle a MLB team too. The real question is, can we get em an NHL team in addition to everything else...paaaahhhleeeeaaassseeee?
San Antone will get an MLB team sooner or later.... but I wouldn't count on the hockey team. If Texas gets another NHL team-and that's a big IF-it's going to Houston. I'd even bet that.

San Antonio is the Green Bay,WI of the NBA. One town, one championship winning team (San Antonio has a WNBA team, but honestly, when's the last time the WNBA was just as popular and as followed as the NBA? Just being honest.) But more teams will come, especially an NFL team.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Hockey, maybe, but there's nothin' like football in the south. Taking football out of the south is just like demolishing the Sears Tower.

But seriously, I wouldn't really mind if all the southern NHL teams went up north where they belong. But if that were to really happen, the Dallas Stars would go noooooo where.
Nah. Football is a cold-weather sport, meant to be played outdoors in freezing temps, hands in the snow. Not in some place that will never see snow (ie AZ, FL, SoCal). There is just something wrong about seeing a football sail in the air, with palm trees in the background, with fans wearing shorts and tank tops, IN DECEMBER. The NFL has been pansified, no thanks to teams from Florida, Arizona, California, etc. I love watching those babies play in Green Bay or face the Monsters of the Midway on a sub-zero day. WELCOME TO REAL FOOTBALL, sissies! If you want palm trees and fancy-schmancy stadiums, go watch soccer or something. Football is all about the cold, always has been.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,787,089 times
I'll give you that... football WAS ment to be a cold weather sport. And if it weren't for the midwest, football would be nothing.....

But try telling guys in Hoover, Alabama, New Orleans, Louisiana, and ANYWHERE,Texas that football isn't ment to be played in the south. I bet playing in the snow is tough, I wouldn't know. But I'm pretty sure that playing outside in 105 degree weather with no wind and humidity making it feel alot hotter than it is would be just as difficult as playing in in freezing cold temps. Trust me, I know what that's like. I sweat just thinking about it.

You might not think so, but (whether it be the palm trees of Miami, pine trees in Houston, or whatever that kind of tree that grows in New Orleans) the south rules when it comes to the gridiron. If you don't believe me, just go to a high school game in Southlake,TX.

I will agree with you on one thing, Southern Cal, and those mainly desert states shouldn't talk when it comes to football. They seem to care more about what they should call the next big celebrity couple than football. If you wanna take football out of anywhere, take it out of LA......oh...never mind.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,335,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Nah. Football is a cold-weather sport, meant to be played outdoors in freezing temps, hands in the snow. Not in some place that will never see snow (ie AZ, FL, SoCal). There is just something wrong about seeing a football sail in the air, with palm trees in the background, with fans wearing shorts and tank tops, IN DECEMBER. The NFL has been pansified, no thanks to teams from Florida, Arizona, California, etc. I love watching those babies play in Green Bay or face the Monsters of the Midway on a sub-zero day. WELCOME TO REAL FOOTBALL, sissies! If you want palm trees and fancy-schmancy stadiums, go watch soccer or something. Football is all about the cold, always has been.
Afraid to play it in the heat?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,494,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds View Post
ok... LA dont need a team they couldnt keep the two they had!!!
Texas needs no more teams have to many!
COlombus has Ohio St its a pro team in the NCAA!
Flordia too much sports in one state to follow!!!!!!!
I think the real place so far would be Louisville gr8 city with alot to do there!!!!!!

The place i think that needs a team also would be Omaha Nebraska They have the college world series there every Yr and is a huge success i cant see why NFl or NBA couldnt make it there creigten sells out every game damn near and wit the new quest center NBA has a new building to USE LETS GET SOME PRO TEAMS IN THE MIDWEST I LIVE IN IOWA and i dont understand how des monies dont have a team i live in CEdar rapids and i got to every Iowa hawkeye game and every home game for the last 8 yrs has been sold out... 70,000 seats i no we could sell out a pro stadium i wish i new who to contact to get this looked at the NFL is wack and needs to put teams into areas it can bring up and help out GReen bay for instance is a small city and is one of the most followed franchises ever!!!
Actually now that you mention it Omaha would be a good place for the next NFL team! The nearest mkt with a team is Minneapolis which is a long way awy. Omaha would draw alot from Iowa, lincoln and the surrounding areas, they would support a team far better than LA or Vegas thats for sure!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,500,660 times
I think Oklahoma City deserves the team more than any other city. Sure you can argue that Oklahoma City is not a big metropolis however Tulsa is not very far from there at all. And it may be Sooner country but I believe the football madness would spill over nicely to create a large Oklahoma fan base. Oh, and I've never lived in OK.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM

66 posts, read 58,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
Texas has 2 teams now dont need another one
cali has 3 teams they dont need another one
vegas the corruption and gambling would kill the team
toronto hmm i guess they could have a team but they have canadian football there
columbus!? no way! they have ohio state and they also have 2 pro teams
austin? again no more texas teams!
louisville? no right next to ohio has 2 teams
orlando? no bc florida already has 3 teams
portland i agree with
oklahoma city? well its a shot but i say they are close to kansas and texas thats 3 teams
i would like to see some teams in boise,another one in washington,hawaii,alaska,and 1 in new mexico

Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Afraid to play it in the heat?
No. It just SHOULDNT be played in the heat. Playing football in warm weather is about as appealing as drinking microwaved beer. BLECH.

I know southern/western folks love their football and all but I still absolutely despise warm weather teams. Despise. Especially warm weather hockey teams.. but thats another story.

GO BEARS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football