U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,194,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio - They can have the Texans, no one in Houston cares
2. L.A. - SOON
3. Las Vegas - Never work. Too much distraction
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto - they have the Bills
5. Columbus, OH - Um, Ohio has Cincy, and Clevland thats plenty
6. Austin - Texas has enough
7. Louisville,KY - Yeah, call them the KY Jellies.....lol
8. Orlando, FL - Florida is saturated also
9. Portland, OR - Send em to Seattle
10. Oklahoma City - Eh... not so much
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
I would say Lincoln Nebraska would be a great and send the Detriot Lions to another city. Poor folks have enough suffering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 PM

9,500 posts, read 12,372,662 times
Default Can Only Think Of Four Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm just curious, but if your interested, would you give me a list of cities that should have NFL teams in order from most deserving to least? Here's mine:

1. San Antonio
2. L.A.
3. Las Vegas
4. (the only non-American city that actually deserves one) Toronto
5. Columbus, OH
6. Austin
7. Louisville,KY
8. Orlando, FL
9. Portland, OR
10. Oklahoma City
11. any other American towns without one.
What do you think?
1.Toronto
2.San Antonio
3.Portland
4.Mexico City
Maybe Tijuana Baja Mexico is a honorable Mention

Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,720,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I think you're way off the mark on this post. The only place I see on your list that should be ahead of San Antonio, and that's barely, is Los Angeles.

Portland - Doesn't have a stadium for football and won't anytime soon. Besides the city has made it well known that their priority is baseball.

SLC - Same thing here. No stadium and no plan to build one. It's also not big enough. Not enough people in the region.

VB - A clear case of being too small. Also, no stadium ready. No plans to build one. VB area is about half the size of San Antonio.

San Antonio - the most logical choice for a team next to LA. At 2.1 million the metro area is much larger than any of the other candidates except Los Angeles. It has a Dome that's ready for play now and can be either refurbished or another Dome built. It's got a strong corporate community. With the way people worship football around San Antonio the team would enjoy massive support much like the Spurs have for 36 years.

Sacramento - Being so close geographically to two other teams knocks them out of the competition automatically. SF/Oak are only about 90 miles away. San Antonio lies 200 miles form Houston and 300 miles from Dallas.

Based on this information and other facts that are included in this link, San Antonio and Los Angeles will be next to get NFL teams in the near future. Within 5 years for sure.

Location model in the national football league: predicting optimal expansion and relocation sites | Sport Journal, The | Find Articles at BNET
Cool.... Glad to hear your opinion backed up by false statements btw....
The Salt Lake City region is smaller than the San Antonio region yes, but you make it sound like some tiny town, it's not, the CSA is over 1.5 million people, and the area has MUCH higher income.

The Hampton Roads CSA has just passed the 1.7 million mark as well..... Not too far off from the SA MSA, and no professional franchise.

The San Antonio market I do believe is a top contender, but not 1st or second. My reason for thinking this???? Because I have ask Tom Benson himself what the NFL has said about San Antonio. Here are some of the remarks.....

Small market, mybe no smaller than other markets true, but untill it grows further no extra franchise. The second factor is low income market....reasons why Salt Lake are higher priority. Third no facility.....yea, that was what seemed to be your best argument, but you are far off. I ask about the Alamo Dome, not a chance. The renovation could be done, yes, but it would cost nearly just as much as a new facility, and would be required to have a capacity of about 25% more than current. They aren't accepting stadiums and domes anymore just because there is one. Doesn't matter what other teams stadium is lesser either, some of those teams have been around for a long time, and the requirements weren't the same. The only way San Antonio is getting an NFL franchise in the next 7 - 10 years is more growth, or an individual moves an existing franchise to San Antonio, or foots the bill to build a new stte of the art facility more capicity the current Alamodome.

I don't have a problem with San Antonio having a team personally, but I have heard the news from both an owner of a franchise, and an NFL attorney himself. I don't think you can argue with them.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM

927 posts, read 1,212,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Cool.... Glad to hear your opinion backed up by false statements btw....
The Salt Lake City region is smaller than the San Antonio region yes, but you make it sound like some tiny town, it's not, the CSA is over 1.5 million people, and the area has MUCH higher income.

The Hampton Roads CSA has just passed the 1.7 million mark as well..... Not too far off from the SA MSA, and no professional franchise.

The San Antonio market I do believe is a top contender, but not 1st or second. My reason for thinking this???? Because I have ask Tom Benson himself what the NFL has said about San Antonio. Here are some of the remarks.....

Small market, mybe no smaller than other markets true, but untill it grows further no extra franchise. The second factor is low income market....reasons why Salt Lake are higher priority. Third no facility.....yea, that was what seemed to be your best argument, but you are far off. I ask about the Alamo Dome, not a chance. The renovation could be done, yes, but it would cost nearly just as much as a new facility, and would be required to have a capacity of about 25% more than current. They aren't accepting stadiums and domes anymore just because there is one. Doesn't matter what other teams stadium is lesser either, some of those teams have been around for a long time, and the requirements weren't the same. The only way San Antonio is getting an NFL franchise in the next 7 - 10 years is more growth, or an individual moves an existing franchise to San Antonio, or foots the bill to build a new stte of the art facility more capicity the current Alamodome.

I don't have a problem with San Antonio having a team personally, but I have heard the news from both an owner of a franchise, and an NFL attorney himself. I don't think you can argue with them.
What you should have done is to have talked with Commissioner Goodell. Because he seems to believe that San Antonio would be a fine place for a team. He said as much when he was here in October. I don't put much stock in what Tom Benson has to say also. That old used car dealer's word is about as reliable as well, a used car. And if San Antonio is such a poor place why was he so willing to move his team here in 2005? Or even before that? And I don't buy the San Antonio is too poor argument either. What you fail to realize is that at over 2 million people San Antonio's lower per capita income would be effectively mitigated by the size of the area in regards to filling seats and selling merchandise.

Not to mention the fact that a team here would attract fans in from a wide radius on game days. Do you know how many people live within 150 miles of San Antonio? If you include Austin about another 2 million. Compare that to the Virginia Beach or SLC, Utah areas. This is why I am convinced that San Antonio is right below LA in the race for an NFL team. Into statistics? Checkout this study done that demonstrates using a variety of input variables what towns will get the next NFL teams. It's interesting if you read through it.

Location model in the national football league: predicting optimal expansion and relocation sites | Sport Journal, The | Find Articles at BNET

Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM

927 posts, read 1,212,567 times
Here is my list of cities that will be getting teams within a few years and beyond:

1) Los Angeles
2) San Antonio
3) Toronto
4) Portland
5) Salt Lake City

Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,720,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
What you should have done is to have talked with Commissioner Goodell. Because he seems to believe that San Antonio would be a fine place for a team. He said as much when he was here in October. I don't put much stock in what Tom Benson has to say also. That old used car dealer's word is about as reliable as well, a used car. And if San Antonio is such a poor place why was he so willing to move his team here in 2005? Or even before that? And I don't buy the San Antonio is too poor argument either. What you fail to realize is that at over 2 million people San Antonio's lower per capita income would be effectively mitigated by the size of the area in regards to filling seats and selling merchandise.

Not to mention the fact that a team here would attract fans in from a wide radius on game days. Do you know how many people live within 150 miles of San Antonio? If you include Austin about another 2 million. Compare that to the Virginia Beach or SLC, Utah areas. This is why I am convinced that San Antonio is right below LA in the race for an NFL team. Into statistics? Checkout this study done that demonstrates using a variety of input variables what towns will get the next NFL teams. It's interesting if you read through it.

I agree with you in most of what you are saying. My question is if the NFL is going to consider cities like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. That is the rumor I hear, and if so I'd say Toronto has a good chance after LA. I don't know much about Portland, and I was not aware that it was a big baseball market. If it were a football market I'd say it would battle well with San Antonio because of the money in the area as well as a larger metro than San Antonio if your not considering Austin in our market. Thanks for the link, I'll read up on it. Didn't mean to come across argumentative if I did, just mistook your nature in the first post.

As far as Tom Benson moving the Saints here I don't think it has much to do with typical factors. New Orleans first of all is a very low income area, and a very small market. I think it had more to do with his personal ties to San Antonio, and the fact that he would deffinately do better here than New Orleans.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 AM

207 posts, read 309,138 times
Los Angeles should have a NFL team. With the size of the population there its a goldmine. People who have taken steps in building a stadium here see the potential. A state of the art stadium with all the bells and whistles with luxory boxes etc. can be a big draw with the right marketing and the right people running the team, much how the lakers are run. It should cater to the hollywood elite/heavyweights, and make it the place to be. If only the Rams move back it would be the perfect fit. Those helmets have hollywood written all over them lol. If I had the money I would highly invest in this project after all how many cities, have the weather, the beach, the media, the celebs like L.A.! And its California!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,606,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIEISTAZ View Post
besides LA already has a team that is better then some NFL teams here (USC).
USC would not beat Detroit.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 AM

7,853 posts, read 19,634,632 times
The Milwaukee Beers!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,866,561 times
I'm going to say Grand Rapids,MI. It's a growing city with a lot of downtown projects, great economy compared to the rest of MI. The logical thing would be to move the Lions over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or