U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Texas already has everything, let another state benefit from a NFL team.
What state did you have in mind?

BTW, I'd LOVE to see a team in San Antonio. I'm NOT saying that as a Texan... I'm saying it since San Antonio is a well deserving city that proved that it could hold a franchise when it had the Saints during Katrina. And the city even built the Alamodome to bring in a franchise, but they both went to Jacksonville and Carolina, as we all know.

It could happen. And judging from history, L.A. can't keep any team, so maybe San Antonio would be next up for a team.

Last edited by JJG; 06-23-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What state did you have in mind?

BTW, I'd LOVE to see a team in San Antonio. I'm NOT saying that as a Texan... I'm saying it since San Antonio is a well deserving city that proved that it could hold a franchise when it had the Saints during Katrina. And the city even built the Alamodome to bring in a franchise, but they both went to Jacksonville and Carolina, as we all know.

It could happen. And judging from history, L.A. can't keep any team, so maybe San Antonio would be next up for a team.

If you bring in any pro football team to a city without one most likely it will sell out for a few games but how will it do year after year.

I guarantee if you brought the NFL to Albuquerque it would sell out but over the long term people might struggle paying for something like that, and anyways everyone here is devoted to the Cowboys and Broncos.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
If you bring in any pro football team to a city without one most likely it will sell out for a few games but how will it do year after year.

I guarantee if you brought the NFL to Albuquerque it would sell out but over the long term people might struggle paying for something like that, and anyways everyone here is devoted to the Cowboys and Broncos.
It depends on how successful your team is. Look at the Dallas Stars.

Now youd never think that Texas of all places could have an NHL franchise, but the Stars have been here for over 15 years now..... and they're viewed as one of the VERY few sunbelt NHL francises that should stay where they are. Not only that, but the Stars have influcenced DFW high schools to feature hockey programs.
The main reason why is because, since 1993, when the Stars came to Dallas, the team has only missed the playoffs 3 times.

Knowing how the NFL is, ANY team can be successful..... So I can see it happening in San Antonio.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,523,672 times
Considering that marketing is usually behind major decisions in sports...what makes anyone think that the NFL wouldn't renege on the "National" part of its name and put a franchise in London? That city has had one of the best responses to American football.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,349,354 times
I don't see how a team based out of Europe could reasonably travel to games without exhausting their team.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,240 times
The NFL in Europe has been and is still a terrible idea. NFL Europe failed miserably and eventually was folded due to lack of fan support over there. It's like soccer here in America. Theoretically one would think that it would have legs here but to this day soccer is considered a kids game and not to be taken seriously.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,569,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The NFL in Europe has been and is still a terrible idea. NFL Europe failed miserably and eventually was folded due to lack of fan support over there. It's like soccer here in America. Theoretically one would think that it would have legs here but to this day soccer is considered a kids game and not to be taken seriously.
It is a thousand miles behind soccer in America.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,671,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It is a thousand miles behind soccer in America.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an American who could name any player in pro soccer in America. In fact I bet American's could name a top high school talent before a pro soccer player, so that should tell you something.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Quote:

While being a Bronco fan since day one, and having a lot of friends in New Mexico from Farmington to Roswell, I have to go along with Desert Sun, there is loyalty there with the Cowboys and Broncos.

A quick note on Pat Bowlen. When it was announced that the St. Louis Cardinals was moving to Phoenix, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen took out a full page ad in the Arizona Republic congratulating the Arizona folks; the Republic is the states largest paper.

That subject was brought up some time later at one of the Bronco Quarterback Club meetings, as Mr. Bowlen was a guest speaker. He said getting another NFL team in the Mountain Time Zone would be a good thing for the mountain states, and mentioned Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and El Paso as decent candidates for NFL expansion.

Desert Sun, if you're reading, who in the Albuquerque area could be in the position to start an NFL team there?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
While being a Bronco fan since day one, and having a lot of friends in New Mexico from Farmington to Roswell, I have to go along with Desert Sun, there is loyalty there with the Cowboys and Broncos.

A quick note on Pat Bowlen. When it was announced that the St. Louis Cardinals was moving to Phoenix, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen took out a full page ad in the Arizona Republic congratulating the Arizona folks; the Republic is the states largest paper.

That subject was brought up some time later at one of the Bronco Quarterback Club meetings, as Mr. Bowlen was a guest speaker. He said getting another NFL team in the Mountain Time Zone would be a good thing for the mountain states, and mentioned Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and El Paso as decent candidates for NFL expansion.

Desert Sun, if you're reading, who in the Albuquerque area could be in the position to start an NFL team there?

I dont know but I do know at one time a few years back our Gov.Richardson had the idea of luring the Saints to Albuquerque and sharing the team with El Paso and Juarez, I think he pitched it to the NFL but I dont know what happened , maybe in 20 years though.

I just dont think ABQ can support something like that, I sure would love to have the NFL here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or