U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I don't think anybody has posted this but Albuquerque, New Mexico (metro area of about 846,000) and not major sports teams, or Portland, Oregon (metro area of 2.2 million).

LA has had football teams and both left. Las Vegas has too many bad influences in it. San Antonio will never have a team. The Cowboys, Texans, and Saints will not allow it.
I don't know if Portland could support one. There are some that would want it, but I don't think I have been anywhere where guys talk less about sports than here. If there was an NFL team it might be called the Portland Panhandlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,538,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
BLASPHEMY!

We were members of the ORIGINAL teams. The Packers will NEVER be moved!!! Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise was sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining monies would go to the Sullivan-Wallen Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. Thus they're never going to move

My lord. Don't every say anything like this in Wisconsin. You'll be shot on sight

You have to remember that the Packers fan base is not just the city, it's the entire State of Wisconsin.... And were fanatical about it. That's 5 million people + in the state. The Packers' fan base is famously dedicated: regardless of the team's performance, every Packer game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960. Plus they retain their fans.

Not to mention the waiting list for season tickets is 71,000+ people long. Luckily my family has tickets which have been in the family for 40+ years

GO PACK GO!
The Packers are one of the most historic franchises in the NFL. They have an uber loyal fan base and I love the fact that they haven't sold out the naming rights to their stadium; it's still Lambeau Field. I hope it remains that way forever. And this is coming from a Dolphin fan.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,538,378 times
The Jaguars should relocate to San Antonio. The name would be a good fit, the San Antonio Jaguars.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:00 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The Jaguars should relocate to San Antonio. The name would be a good fit, the San Antonio Jaguars.
Yes it has a good fit to it. But how about this? The San Antonio Chargers?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Yes it has a good fit to it. But how about this? The San Antonio Chargers?
How bout' San Antonio DEFENDERS? .... as in "the Defenders of the Alamo" and defensive players. It would work on two levels.

But really, it would make more sense for the Jaguars to move to San Antonio because they're already in the AFC SOUTH with the Houston Texans (there's your interstate, I-10 rivals right there).

.... then again, Texas sports teams could work with both South and West divisions.

But I'd still say it's better for the Jags to move. It's also most likely to happen....

Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
How bout' San Antonio DEFENDERS? .... as in "the Defenders of the Alamo" and defensive players. It would work on two levels.

But really, it would make more sense for the Jaguars to move to San Antonio because they're already in the AFC SOUTH with the Houston Texans (there's your interstate, I-10 rivals right there).

.... then again, Texas sports teams could work with both South and West divisions.

But I'd still say it's better for the Jags to move. It's also most likely to happen....
I don't know about most likely. The Jaguars have a monster lease to play in their stadium. Something like 30 years. Plus their owner is super dedicated to Jacksonville. So I still think the Chargers are our best shot.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
I can tell you there will be nothing between DC and Atlanta. ESPECAIILY between DC and Charlotte. All of Virginia and parts of West Virginia are Skinheads.

My dad grew up in South Carolina and told me that the favored team down there was the Redskins prior to the Panthers being created. (This of course when they were not folowing Carolina or Clemson)

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I can tell you there will be nothing between DC and Atlanta. ESPECAIILY between DC and Charlotte. All of Virginia and parts of West Virginia are Skinheads.

My dad grew up in South Carolina and told me that the favored team down there was the Redskins prior to the Panthers being created. (This of course when they were not folowing Carolina or Clemson)
And don't forget that Charlotte was Redskin territory as well. In fact it was questioned whether the town could support its own team with the Redskins so nearby. But the team has succeeded greatly. It's very similar to San Antonio and Dallas.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,497 times
Memphis was home to the Titans until the Nashville Stadium was finished. Chattanooga or Knoxville might work better than you might imagine. In Knoxville they regularly fill 107K+ Neyland Stadium even when they have a mediocre team. Chattanooga is near enough to do the same.

Shreveport once had a team (WFL I think) and did quite well until the league folded. It is a strong football community. Nebraska needs a pro team as does central Virginia.

Baton Rouge would be a good Pro town, but after the next hurricane will probably own the Saints.

Of course LA, LV, Portland, Orlando, Hawaii, and others could support a team. The problem right now is the economy might dump a few of the teams we already have.

Still anywhere in the SEC provides good football crowds. When the time is right there is no reason why the NFL should not expand into new areas.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altonsullivent View Post
Memphis was home to the Titans until the Nashville Stadium was finished. Chattanooga or Knoxville might work better than you might imagine. In Knoxville they regularly fill 107K+ Neyland Stadium even when they have a mediocre team. Chattanooga is near enough to do the same.

Shreveport once had a team (WFL I think) and did quite well until the league folded. It is a strong football community. Nebraska needs a pro team as does central Virginia.

Baton Rouge would be a good Pro town, but after the next hurricane will probably own the Saints.

Of course LA, LV, Portland, Orlando, Hawaii, and others could support a team. The problem right now is the economy might dump a few of the teams we already have.

Still anywhere in the SEC provides good football crowds. When the time is right there is no reason why the NFL should not expand into new areas.
I think the SEC gives the NFL comp, look at the Atlanta Falcons and Georgia Tech or U of Georgia, I think there are too many college fans in the South to be too into the NFL, but Im sure it could work, maybe Atlanta is just a bad sports town, I dont know.

What about Birmingham, Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or