U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,386,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is the Green Bay area really that big? If not, then how did they get a team?
It's a very, very unique situation, so I hope I can explain it right. The team formed back in the early 1900's from a packaging company ("Packers"), and when the NFL formed their league, the company signed an agreement with the city of Green Bay to never leave (they even sell shares of stock in the team). If I'm off a little, PLEASE don't shoot me! But I know that's close. They have a draw from generations of people and are just an hour or so from Milwaukee. But in 99.9% of cases, metros with less than 1 million would struggle badly to keep a team afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Quote:
Because they were the first and can do whatever they like.

j/k

The Pack are owned by shareholders, etc. What the Packers get are paid for by shareholders and fans, and theyre VERY loyal to their team. I think Green Bay only has 90,000 people, but theyd never let their team slip through the cracks, ever. Theyre not like these new expansion teams with fairweather fans, the Packers have history, tradition, pride. Im still convinced that 80% of the other NFL teams dont know what those words even mean. All these booming cities get NFL teams, and that just isnt right IMO. Keep the league smaller, its keeps it more personal and much more competetive. And no more domes!!!! Football is a cold weather sport, not some desert sport or tropical sport. Theres just something wrong with the idea of playing football under palm trees at 80 degrees. Its about playing in the snow, sub zero temps and brutalizing cold.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 AM

752 posts, read 620,594 times
Hi,

Another vote for Salt Lake City. They've supported the Jazz tremendously, BYU and Utah both pack their stadiums. An NFL team would fit there nicely.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
First off, I'm glad y'all looked at this. I'm new so I'm glad I got some responses.
Now, I put San Antonio at #1 because they built the Alamodome just for an NFL franchise, San Antonio is one of the largest cities in the country but it only has the Spurs and SilverStars (they don't even have Division I-A school), and I'm from Texas, so of course I'll include our cities.
Personally, I'm glad that LA doesn't have one--and I'm not the only person who thinks so. I know a guy from Los Angeles who says that "LA doesn't need a team, we cheer for the Raiders, an we got USC."
The other cities (except Toronto), I just slapped on there. I would have put my home town, Fort Worth on there, but as long as the Dallas Cowboys (and satan himself, Jerry Jones) exists, we'll never get a team. But I'm ok with that.
Let's face it, the NFL is the most popular pro sports league in the country and it will expand sooner or later. The possibilities are there, let's see what happens.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 AM

327 posts, read 184,001 times
I know I'll be getting some comments from this but I guess that's what the forum is for, eh?

First of all, keep in mind that yes, Texas has two other teams, but it is also the second largest state with almost 21 million people...and growing steadily because it's a great state to live in!

1. San Antonio...I lived there for almost 12 years and because of the continued growth there, I truly believe that it would be able to support a team in the near future. We thought they might inherit the Saints, but didn't happen.

2. How about Fargo, ND? They don't have ANYTHING! I know that they probably might not be able to support a team, but the people there deserve SOMETHING just for putting up with the horrendous winters!

3. How about Pensacola, FL? I believe the military loves football and there are a few large bases in the panhandle area...?

4. Omaha, Nebraska...cuz the Huskers aren't quite getting it done, anymore!

Keep in mind that I am a HUGE Vikings and Cowboys fan, however, I believe there really should be at least one team in each state. I just really love football...and I think a lot of other people do, also.

Last edited by Kimbercuddles; 12-08-2006 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: I forgot Nebraska...

Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 AM

181 posts, read 505,589 times
I live in Portland and I don't want an NFL team here.. Major leauge sports are a PITA and a drain on the economy, they create a traffic nightmare. I am all in favor of an Oregon team somewhere like Bend or maybe a team in Vancouver WA on the far side of Clark county. Basically someplace I don't go, where my tax money won't be used to subsidize some one elses profit.

So long as we have problms with homelessness, and our public schools I will never vote for any public money to be spent on a sports team or the stadium, or their traffic needs, parking garages, increased needs for law-enforcement.

Portland isn't a sports town the way Chicago, NYC or Baltimore... the best we can do is the "Jailblazers"... and that just barely.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 12,655,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
When leagues look to place a team somewhere, they look at metro regions. NYC's metro region has 2 teams.
I forgot to add I was being sarcastic. I think the Jet's should be back in Queens and the Giants in the Bronx.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,386,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I forgot to add I was being sarcastic. I think the Jet's should be back in Queens and the Giants in the Bronx.
Amen to that!!! Why are both teams playing in the same stadium? Could no stadium deals get worked out in NYC?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 AM

742 posts, read 2,661,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Major sports leagues only put teams in metro areas with at least 1 million people. ABQ has about 850,000 or so. But ABQ is a great area!
I agree that ABQ is a good idea as well, although I don't see it happening any time soon. And in actuality, as a TV Designated Market Area (DMA) Albuquerque and Santa Fe (#45) are considered one entity, and are larger than Jacksonville, FL (#50) and New Orleans (#54) which have had teams for quite some time.

Beyond that I'm am going cheat a little bit and copy over part of a previous post in the ABQ forum that discussed this subject:

If you look at the list of top 55 DMA's that currently do not have an NFL franchise (or one nearby) ABQ (#45) is not in terrible shape.

# 2 - Los Angeles: the NFL is dying to get back into this market. And Gov. Arnold actually has gone on record to say that he would like to see LA get
two new teams. But it still remains to be seen if the city itself wants the NFL back. LA just doesn't seem to miss the NFL. LA's lack of desire is a definite boon to other potential cities.

#23 - Portland, OR: this would seem to be an obvious front-runner, given its size and Oregon's love of football. But it may not be that simple, as a new team would require a new stadium and that would be no gimme, given Portland's political climate. And the Seahawks could fight the placement of a team here as well.

#35 - Salt Lake City: can't say much here other than SLC seems to be in a similar situation to ABQ, but has the advantage of having proved that it can successfully support an NBA franchise.

#37 San Antonio or #52 Austin: I group these two together because I can't see the NFL awarding both cities franchises, due to their proximity. If one gets a team, it will be at the expense of the other city. Plenty of money here, but I know the Cowboys weren't crazy about the idea of the Saints moving to SA. They and the Texans could potentially fight placement here.
#40 - Birmingham, AL: they definitely love their football in 'Bama, but the Falcons and/or Titans could fight the placement of a team here.

#42 - Norfolk, VA: Pretty sure the Redskins (and possibly the Ravens) would fight placement of a team here.

#45 - Oklahoma City, OK: Another city with similarities to SLC, and they have also shown they can support a top level franchise. The Cowboys could fight this one as well.

#43 - Las Vegas: As long as there is sports gambling in Vegas, I have a hard time seeing the NFL setting up shop here. But that may just be me.

Additionally, every city above (with the possible exception of LA) would need to build a new stadium to house a franchise. This is a pill many municipalities simply won't swallow. And ABQ may be one of them.

Chap

Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 AM

153 posts, read 649,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
That's true.
On a somewhat-related note, not to earn the ire of any Cheeseheads, but Green Bay has always seemed to me to be the most random location of any sports franchise. It's worked out well for them, but it's just so random.

BLASPHEMY!

We were members of the ORIGINAL teams. The Packers will NEVER be moved!!! Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise was sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining monies would go to the Sullivan-Wallen Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. Thus they're never going to move

My lord. Don't every say anything like this in Wisconsin. You'll be shot on sight

Quote:
You have to remember that the Packers fan base is not just the city, it's the entire State of Wisconsin.... And were fanatical about it. That's 5 million people + in the state. The Packers' fan base is famously dedicated: regardless of the team's performance, every Packer game at Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960. Plus they retain their fans.

Not to mention the waiting list for season tickets is 71,000+ people long. Luckily my family has tickets which have been in the family for 40+ years

GO PACK GO!

Last edited by politikally; 12-14-2006 at 03:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or