U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think the SEC gives the NFL comp, look at the Atlanta Falcons and Georgia Tech or U of Georgia, I think there are too many college fans in the South to be too into the NFL, but Im sure it could work, maybe Atlanta is just a bad sports town, I dont know.

What about Birmingham, Alabama?
Birmingham would be great spot for a team. It's a little on the small side though so they would have to maneuver and politic their way in similar to what Jacksonville did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Good point by Desert Sun. I have mentioned Birmingham a lot in the earlier pages on this thread. They had a pretty good USFL team and those games WERE attended. I'm not familiar with the size of Birmingham's metro population though. I still think it's a good fit.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good point by Desert Sun. I have mentioned Birmingham a lot in the earlier pages on this thread. They had a pretty good USFL team and those games WERE attended. I'm not familiar with the size of Birmingham's metro population though. I still think it's a good fit.
The situation is very similar in Texas. The Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns like to think that the whole state belongs to them. San Antonio in particular has been devoid of any major college or professional teams until only very recently with the formation of a football program at UTSA. The NFL should follow.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,452,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

and plus Birmingham dosent have a top name college team to root for, they have UAB but I imagine they root for Alabama since Tuscaloosa is about an hour away, but still no immediate football attention in Birmingham, I guess the same could be said for San Antonio.

Birmingham's metro is 1.1 million, maybe a little small but for the NFL Im sure they could easily pull it off.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
I'm a proponent of major metros having NFC and AFC teams. The population base can support it and it serves the networks well. Half of a very large metro area well outpopulates any metro area not now in the NFL (obviously I'm not talking about LA which, as noted below, is a VERY big metro)

So what would I do? I'd add to what exists already:

New York
Bay Area
Wash/Balt

with:

Chicago AFC
LA NFC/AFC

Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The situation is very similar in Texas. The Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns like to think that the whole state belongs to them. San Antonio in particular has been devoid of any major college or professional teams until only very recently with the formation of a football program at UTSA. The NFL should follow.
Well they don't believe that. They do believe they are the most popular teams in the state in which case, they are. The Texans are nearly as popular as the Cowboys and the Aggies, Red Raiders, Cougars, w/e is not nearly as popular as the Longhorns. Even with UTSA's new team, there will still be hundreds of thousands of Longhorn fans in San Antonio.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm a proponent of major metros having NFC and AFC teams. The population base can support it and it serves the networks well. Half of a very large metro area well outpopulates any metro area not now in the NFL (obviously I'm not talking about LA which, as noted below, is a VERY big metro)

So what would I do? I'd add to what exists already:

New York
Bay Area
Wash/Balt

with:

Chicago AFC
LA NFC/AFC
Yea but that's too many teams though. Chicago doesn't need another team and LA only needs one. Washington and Baltimore are one metro but does not function as one metro.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:41 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Chicago doesn't need another team and LA only needs one. Washington and Baltimore are one metro but does not function as one metro.
You could say L.A. needs a team..... but the city of L.A. itself doesn't seem to act like it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yea but that's too many teams though. Chicago doesn't need another team and LA only needs one. Washington and Baltimore are one metro but does not function as one metro.
Half of the Chicago area is larger than any metro area in the nation without an NFL team with of course the exception of LA.

The Bay Area is smaller than Chicagoland and it has two football teams. One of them, the Raiders, are not looked at as attendance leaders. Surely the Bears and an Chicago AFC franchise would outdraw the 49ers and Raiders. In fact, when it comes to support, there would be little difference between the 2 Chicago teams and the Giants & Jets.

With the Redskins playing in suburban MD, there is more of a Redskin/Raven overlap than there is an O's/Nats overlap. But even with the MLB teams, it is hard to argue that in so many ways Baltimore and Washington are one.

Nothing would serve the NFL better than for Fox and CBS to both have teams in the New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Bay Area, and Balt/Wash areas. That seems a no brainer. It equalizes to a large degree the bids that any networks would place on the NFC or AFC.

As such, the league could easily benefit by adding two teams in LA and one in Chicago.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Half of the Chicago area is larger than any metro area in the nation without an NFL team with of course the exception of LA.
That still doesn't mean they deserve another team. I love Chicago. But they don't deserve to have another team just because it's metro has nearly 10 million people.

As for the Bay Area. In my opinion, they don't need two teams as well. But the historical presence of those teams factored in with their winning is the reason why they do have two teams. IMO, the Raiders should have stayed in Los Angeles when they originally moved from Oakland. If Oakland would not be as successful like they've been in the past 30 years, they would have moved a long time ago.

As for DC/Bmore. They play in suburban MD but not more than 10 minutes from the DC border. I live down the street from Fed Ex as a matter of fact. The area is dominated by the Redskins. Ravens do not make the news nor does anyone care for them. They are not even the local team here. CBS9 would easily broadcast another game over them. In fact, there are more Cowboy fans in the DC area than Ravens fans.

Quote:
Nothing would serve the NFL better than for Fox and CBS to both have teams in the New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Bay Area, and Balt/Wash areas. That seems a no brainer. It equalizes to a large degree the bids that any networks would place on the NFC or AFC.
If you're going to do that. Why not do DFW which is inching on 7 million itself in the next 5 years. We all know that won't happen. The Cowboys own that market. New York is fine. There's 20 million people there. LA can't seem to support team 1 team let alone 2. The Bay Area is the lone exception outside of NY for the reasons I listed before and the Bears just dominate the football culture of Chicago. Any other team will face hard times getting people to attend their games. It's not going to happen and it shouldn't.

Quote:
As such, the league could easily benefit by adding two teams in LA and one in Chicago.
It wouldn't benefit at all. They are doing fine with 1 team in Chicago and no team in LA even though they want at least one in Los Angeles. But there are other deserving cities out there that could have a team than have 1 more in Chicago and two in Los Angeles. Putting two teams in one market is ALWAYS risky business no matter the sport. Even New York to an extent has problems with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or